Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: how does T mobile count my minutes?

Feedback Score

how does T mobile count my minutes?

does it start when the person i'm calling pick up his or her phone???

or

when my cell phone starts ringing when i'm trying to make a call???/

cause i made a few calls when noone picked up and just kept ringing until i hung up, wondering is that counts off my minutes

does it count when i reject an incoming call??

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Retired: Vivid, Inspire, Tilt2, Fuze, T-Mobile MDA, T-Mobile SDA, Nokia 3650, Nokia 6190
    Carriers
    Currently: AT&T (since 2008);
    Feedback Score
    It starts counting from when you hit the send button. If you hang up after 5 secs (I'm guessing on this part .something like it anyway) then it doesn't count....so if you get a busy tone hang up! If you let it ring a long time even if nobody answers it counts the call from the beginning when you hit the send button like I said before.

Counting is per minute increment. 1 minute and 1 second connect time equals 2 minutes talk time.

If you have unlimited nights and you place a call at 8:59pm and talk for 30 mintues then you get charged for 30 minutes. If you had waited 1 minute and placed the call at 9:00pm then it would be a free call. Same goes for if you call before 6:59 am ..if you talk past 7:00am it is still free.

When you reject a call it doesn't count as minutes. Unless you answer it and then hang up. Then even if it lasted 1 second you would be billed 1 minute.

Phone
    Nokia 3660
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by galfert
    ...If you hang up after 5 secs (I'm guessing on this part .something like it anyway) then it doesn't count....
    It's more like 30 seconds.

Feedback Score
    so when i hit send. then it rings, then noone answers and i let it ring for say. 15 sec and then hang up, then it doesnt count???

if it starts counting from the second i hit send, then whats the point og my timer if it starts when someone picks up?? cause i usaully hang up when its 55-59 sec on the timer so i wont get charged morre then 1 minute.

so its is suppose to be lets say my timer says 15 sec when i hang up after my call.... it rang for 15 sec before the person answered..so 15+15= 30 seconds total??

Phones
    N97, N900
    N73, N95-3, N82
    K750i, P910a, W810i, K790i
    Carriers
    t-mobile (us)
    Feedback Score
    They have a delay (I believe it's 60 secs but they keep changing it) where if your call is not answered or busy or does not go through for other reasons the you are not charged. Note however that if you let it ring more than the delay, thenn you'll be billed even if no one pick up.

And yes, in the US the counter on the phone is useless as on all phones I know (someone tell me if there are exceptions) it only starts when the other party answers. So your math is right: it's not totally impossible that it shows 0:59 on your phone and yet you get charged for up to 3 minutes for you call - 35s (ringing) + 59s (talk) + 35s (terminating) = 2:09 minutes which is 3 minutes to our friends the carriers.

AFAIK, in the rest of the world they have a whole different (and fairer IMHO) system: true per second billing and the counter starts when the callee answers. I'm not sure when they terminate the call.
    ** The above paragraph is *not* meant to start yet another us vs them flame war so please spare us.**

As far as the minutes counted from the time the SEND button is pressed to a few seconds after hanging up goes, I think this is pretty standard fare for most US carriers. I know VS, ATTWS, Qwest and Sprint do it.

haritia
    haritia

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Retired: Vivid, Inspire, Tilt2, Fuze, T-Mobile MDA, T-Mobile SDA, Nokia 3650, Nokia 6190
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    Ahhhh ......I remember the days back with the Aerial plans. I had 400 minutes with unlimited weekends and first incoming minute free and per second billing. I kept this plan right up to not to long ago. I only upgraded when the 600 minute plan came out. I figured that 600 minutes even on per minute billing was more than 400 minutes on per second billing. Same $39.99 price.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    iPhone 2G
    Sony Ericsson TM506
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Per second billing would be a good gimmick for T-mobile like Cingular's Rollover minutes!

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by spooon3
    so when i hit send. then it rings, then noone answers and i let it ring for say. 15 sec and then hang up, then it doesnt count???

if it starts counting from the second i hit send, then whats the point og my timer if it starts when someone picks up?? cause i usaully hang up when its 55-59 sec on the timer so i wont get charged morre then 1 minute.

so its is suppose to be lets say my timer says 15 sec when i hang up after my call.... it rang for 15 sec before the person answered..so 15+15= 30 seconds total??
    The way I've had it explained to me about send to end billing is this: From the time you hit send you have the possibility of incurring a charge. If the number that you call answers you are charged from then and also the time before they answered until the network releases your call (probably a couple seconds after you disconnect.) However, you will not be charged at all if the number you are calling is busy or does not answer. In other words you will only be charged on answered calls, but you will also be billed for the "setup" time i.e. the ringing time in addition to the time you actually talk with the person. As for timers GSM phones only time from when an actual "supervised" connect occurs. By supervised I mean that an actual billable connection is made. That's why if you call a number and the line is busy or doesn't answer your timer won't budge. GSM has the capability to bill even right down to the second. and do bill from answer to disconnect. It's only the carrier who has configured their billing to bill from send to end. Most European carriers bill by the second and only bill from answer to disconnect.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    If DT wanted to "standardize" their wireless properties then one would assume that they would have similar billing practices here at T-Mo US (not caller pays though as this is not "standard" in the US), for example....If i'm not mistaken....

T-Mo in Germany starts billing per second after I think the first 30 seconds of the call or the first minute - I could be wrong.

It would be quite nice if they would bill by the second and also, if you subscribe to their SMS plan ($2.99/mo for 500SMS) they should only charge for outgoing, not incoming SMS.....

Oh well, one can only dream.

Doesn't Fido/Microcell in Canada bill by the second, also?

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by eakenn
    It would be quite nice if they would bill by the second and also, if you subscribe to their SMS plan ($2.99/mo for 500SMS) they should only charge for outgoing, not incoming SMS.....

Oh well, one can only dream.

Doesn't Fido/Microcell in Canada bill by the second, also?
    Yes, Fido does bill by the second but only for their monthly accounts. Prior to August 16th pre-paid accounts also billed by the second.

They also used to bill from answer to disconnect, but now they bill send to end also (pre-paid and monthly.)

As for not paying for receiving SMS I don't know of any North American carrier that doesn't charge for receiving SMS. None of the European carriers charge for receiving SMS, but they also pay more for sending SMS than we do as well. Something like 20 Eurocents per message.

Carrier
    Aerial Communications
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by littlefuzzbear
    Yes, Fido does bill by the second but only for their monthly accounts. Prior to August 16th pre-paid accounts also billed by the second.

They also used to bill from answer to disconnect, but now they bill send to end also (pre-paid and monthly.)

As for not paying for receiving SMS I don't know of any North American carrier that doesn't charge for receiving SMS. None of the European carriers charge for receiving SMS, but they also pay more for sending SMS than we do as well. Something like 20 Eurocents per message.
    If i'm not mistaken ATTWS does not charge for incoming SMS atleast this was the case a while back. They charge something like 10cents/SMS outgoing unless you subscribe to one of their messaging plans like T-Mo has.

Phones
    Samsung S3 HTC HD2
    e61i 8520 CliqXT
    v330 v360 7100t
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by littlefuzzbear

As for not paying for receiving SMS I don't know of any North American carrier that doesn't charge for receiving SMS.
    I thought the with ATTWS GSM plans, they do not pay for incoming SMS.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Feedback Score
    SMS is FREE INCOMING on both AT&T TDMA and GSM.
    i had both, and always received for free.

Phones
    Nexus 5
    Carriers
    Feedback Score
    With T-Mobile you always get 50 free no matter which plan you have. Then there are options to pay for a larger SMS bucket.

Phones
    Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by galfert
    With T-Mobile you always get 50 free no matter which plan you have. Then there are options to pay for a larger SMS bucket.
    That's 50 free incoming message only. You should note that T-Mobile's rate of 5˘/minute is the cheapest rate of any carrier. I've not heard it mentioned, but does Nextel have text messaging?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast