Thread: Why did it take Nokia so long to make a quadband GSM phone?

Device(s)
    Nokia 6650 Fold
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T Orange
    Feedback Score

Why did it take Nokia so long to make a quadband GSM phone?

Why did it take Nokia so long to make a quadband GSM phone, the Nokia 6270? I mean, wouldn't it save Nokia money to make all their GSM phones quadband instead of making two dualband or triband versions of almost every phone?

Here is how Nokia's future products should go by, except for the 1xxx series.

• All GSM phones should be quadband 850/900/1800/1900
    • For furure UMTS phones, they should feature UMTS 1900 and 2100, as well as the four GSM bands.
    • No changes to CDMA, except that Nokia could release some CDMA phones with GSM 900/1800 for international roaming.

Device(s)
    One Plus One
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    From what I've heard, Motorola developed the first quadband chip and have it patented so I believe the other manufacturers either needed to develop one which is completely different than the Motorola one (which I don't think happened) or pay royalties to Motorola to use their technology.

Device(s)
    Nokia 6680
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Also think about the cost of a phone with all that technology. 4 bands, 850/900/1800/1900 and then the UTMS 2100 band. 5 bands in one phone, which will be basically a worldwide phone capable of using all phone services available, the phone will cost a good amount more then handsets of today. Then you gotta think about the cost of these services, insurance etc and think how much this will cost you in the long term. Nokia will make a lot of money, and that money has to come from somewhere, that somewhere being the pockets of every consumer they have, and basically every company that has something to do with the phones, especially insurance companies, will begin to eat us out of house and home. Say you buy the phone and it gets stolen from you within the first week, lol some insurance company is gonna be a very happy bunny.

Device(s)
    iPhone 4
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by carsmovies
    From what I've heard, Motorola developed the first quadband chip and have it patented so I believe the other manufacturers either needed to develop one which is completely different than the Motorola one (which I don't think happened) or pay royalties to Motorola to use their technology.
    That's my understanding. Nokia likes to do almost everything in-house... witness how they barely had a presence in the CDMA market because they wouldn't use Qualcomm chipsets.

Device(s)
    Galaxy Note LTE i717
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It's so funny cause motorola feels it is cheaper for them to make most of their phones quadband, and if a carrier wants tri then they just do it with software.

Device(s)
    V65E4710, A3LSMG925W8, PDNRM-975, IHDT56PG3, QMNRM-11, L6ARCV70UW, L6ARJE180LW
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS, Bell, SpeakOut, CSL, au by KDDI
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Jazz
    Why did it take Nokia so long to make a quadband GSM phone, the Nokia 6270? I mean, wouldn't it save Nokia money to make all their GSM phones quadband instead of making two dualband or triband versions of almost every phone?

• For furure UMTS phones, they should feature UMTS 1900 and 2100, as well as the four GSM bands.
    • No changes to CDMA, except that Nokia could release some CDMA phones with GSM 900/1800 for international roaming.
    Pink Jazz,

That would be a perfect world, wouldn't it? we have a similar discussion on this same topic. Check it out:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...nd#post5365470
    Last edited by HC - NO "i"; 07-25-2005 at 05:14 PM.
    --

HC - NO "i"
    I am NOT "the" HC, we are TWO different individuals!

"If we amplify everything, we hear nothing!" - Jon Stewart, Comedian

Device(s)
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Pink Jazz

You evidently have a short memory regarding multiple band phones. Ericsson and Motorola had tri-band phones a long time before Nokia ever did. One of our forum members AdmiralAK was harping on that for quite a while. I have no doubt that Nokia will release more quad-band phones.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Device(s)
    Icecap Blue Ericsson T39m R4A 02W02
    Carrier(s)
    Orange 3G
    Feedback Score
    yeah i remember all the insufferable dual band only phones that nokia had back in the day. i really had wanted a 8250 and a 7650 but they were 900/1800 only. i support the quad band petition

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by BMWFilms
    yeah i remember all the insufferable dual band only phones that nokia had back in the day. i really had wanted a 8250 and a 7650 but they were 900/1800 only. i support the quad band petition
    I'm sure a petition is what's needed to make it happen :rolleyes2

Feedback Score
    Actually NEC was the first company to develop a quad-band phone. And no, they did not pay Moto any royalties since they developed it themselves first.

Device(s)
    Moto ROKR E6
    Carrier(s)
    Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Go for Petition

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazers4ever
    Actually NEC was the first company to develop a quad-band phone. And no, they did not pay Moto any royalties since they developed it themselves first.
    I may not be remembering this correctly, but didn't Handspring Treo have quad band about the same time?