Thread: BT Dongle For PC, which to buy?

Hybrid View

Device(s)
    Motorola E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

BT Dongle For PC, which to buy?

I think I should buy a BT dongle for my PC to do file transfers from my phone since I don't have a laptop or PDA or anything, just a PC.

1) Well I guess my first question is, I don't need a "Bluetooth Ready" PC correct? I'm under the assumption that every PC is "BT Ready", and that's what the dongle is for? As in, even though my Asus A7V8X motherboard didn't even know what BT was when it was created, as long as I plug the dongle in, I'll be fine?

2) And secondly, does anyone have any input as to what BT dongle I should buy? Any brands that are good? Anything to watch out for? here's what I was looking at on eBay, would that get the job done? And what is that cable for that's shown in the picture??

Much appreciated.

Device(s)
    Tmobile MDA/2GB MiniSD
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    If you have a E815, I would reccomend a card reader with a transflash. But if you want to do bluetooth, just get the cheapest dongle you can find they are all the same, don't let people try and talk you into an expensive one.
    My eBay Feedback

My HoFo Feedback

Device(s)
    Sig Sauer P229
    Carrier(s)
    Speer
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumpon10s
    If you have a E815, I would reccomend a card reader with a transflash. But if you want to do bluetooth, just get the cheapest dongle you can find they are all the same, don't let people try and talk you into an expensive one.
    exactly....if it works it works....plus they all have warrantys

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid 11/18/09 vzw proof
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    mmm, this maybe offtopic but, i get EXTREMELY low speeds transfer speeds with a razr than the E815... razr = 15kb/s... E815 = 58kb/s (Estimates)

im using an Ultra BT dongle..
    Still on Verizon with a Motorola Droid, The first UNTOUCHED phone by Verizon.

Device(s)
    Sig Sauer P229
    Carrier(s)
    Speer
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by FlipCpt45
    mmm, this maybe offtopic but, i get EXTREMELY low speeds transfer speeds with a razr than the E815... razr = 15kb/s... E815 = 58kb/s (Estimates)

im using an Ultra BT dongle..
    so that means its the phone and not the dongle...

Feedback Score
    I got a cheap Trendnet dongle at Fry's for $19.95 and it came with a $10.00 rebate. Works great. The cord in that auction is a USB port extension cord, which you can use if you USB port is in a hard to reach area (ie back of the computer). You dont really need cause the dongle plugs directly into the USB port.

Here's a pretty cheap one at newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16833130024

Device(s)
    Moto V325
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I just purchased this Zonet ZUB6111C BT dongle from NewEgg.com here since it was cheap due to the 15 dollar MIR. I plan on using it on the e815 whenever I decide to get it, and from reading the reviews of the BT dongle on NewEgg.com, someone mentioned that it worked real well for their e815. Another BT dongle, Zonet ZUB6101C, is going for the same price after MIR that has a 100m range. I just bought the 10m range though since I will only be using it at short range.

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    ....But if you want to do bluetooth, just get the cheapest dongle you can find they are all the same, don't let people try and talk you into an expensive one.
    I wouldn't exactly say that....

While its true many use the same Bluetooth Radio chipset inside (usually Cabridge Silicon Radio or newer ones now use Broadcom), some use VIA and others.. Plus they don't all use the same drivers and therefore don't all have the same features and/or ease of use...

If you are going to just use the BT dongle for the phone with DUN and MPT... by all means, get the cheapest one you can find.. Hopefully it will either come with Widcomm or Bluesoliel drivers (which are stable/easy to use), or be supported by WinXP SP2's built-in "basic" bluetooth support. Otherwise, you could be in for a troubles configuing the BT services, pairing devices, etc...

However, if you plan on using BT with a PDA, wireless head set, printer, Lan sharing, etc in addition to your phone... then make sure you get one that uses Widcomm or Bluesoliel drivers as the SP2 stuff doesn't support all that. But then again, when it comes to widcomm drivers they are locked to the hardware, so if your dongle maker doesn't release newer drivers for your dongle, you're stuck with what you got. (newer widcomm drivers include newer/additional profile support along with the expected bug fixes)

I.e. my first Ambicom BT2000C-USB dongle (purchased pre-SP2 for $49.99 at circuit city) uses a Generic CSR bt radio chip (it supports BT HCI1/1.1) and is the same BT Radio chip as used by Belkin, MSI, DTK, Billionton, etc in their class 2 dongles. BUT it came with CRAPPY drivers, I could not get any of the BT services configured on my pc... my iPAQ wouldn't see it, couldn't pair, etc... About ready to return it, I found a license "hack" for the widcomm drivers and it was smooth sailing. Since then Ambicom released Widcomm v1.3.27 drivers for that dongle. That version supports less profiles than the hacked stuff I was using, but they work for what I need. My most recent purchase of an Ambicom BT2000C-USB dongle comes with Widcomm v3.0.915 drivers and uses a Broadcom bluetooth radio (supports BT HCI1/1.1/1.2) with more profiles/services available.. It cost me $29.99 out the door at compusa (no sales tax in Delaware)...

The Zonet ZUB6111C is a nice 10m Dongle (lets face it, the phone is a class 2 also so its limited to 10m range, so a Class 1/100m dongle is overkill). It supports BT HCI v1/1.1/1.2... Uses Widcomm v3.0.1.912 as well as being directly supported by WinXP SP2's "basic" bluetooth support. Its a good dongle for a good price. Newegg also sold an older Zonet (forget the model) that was Class 2, BT HCI 1/1.1 and came with Widcomm v1.4 drivers. It used a Generic CSR chip too. It was a great dongle for the very very low price even after shipping. But I don't see it on their page anymore.

Oh, and yes Seem Edits can NOT be done via Bluetooth, you need a USB cable for Seem Edits. Seem edits are needed to enable OBEX file transfers. However for just DUN over BT, no seem edits are needed, but you have to enter ##DIALUP on the phone's keypad to enable it.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 08-01-2005 at 06:47 AM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    The Zonet ZUB6111C is a nice 10m Dongle (lets face it, the phone is a class 2 also so its limited to 10m range, so a Class 1/100m dongle is overkill).

Does that mean that no matter how far the range is on the dongle you still have to be within 10m with the phone for obex?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by blackrain2005
    Does that mean that no matter how far the range is on the dongle you still have to be within 10m with the phone for obex?
    Not just obex.. all bluetooth...

As with "any radio" type technology, your range is limited by the weaker device... So if one is a 10meter and the other is 100meter, you'll be limited by the 10 meter device.

Device(s)
    HTC ThunderBolt
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Agree that high end BT dongles are probably not important for your intended use with your phone and desktop, but if you ever intend to do other stuff (eg, BT stereo headphones around your house, etc), you might be interested in spending a little more for a BT 2.0 dongle. I'm sure you can find this cheaper elsewhere, but Toshiba sells a Toshiba USB Adapter with Bluetooth 2.0+EDR on their website for $45. Good luck!
    Thanks, robrecht

Device(s)
    Nec N840
    Carrier(s)
    rogers
    Feedback Score

almost true. if you want to use internet on your pda than BlueSoheil bt dongles are not what you need

Feedback Score
    i bought my BT dongle from Wal-Mart io gear for 26$

Feedback Score
    hey, sorry to ressurect an old thread...

but is there a BT dongle that supports BT 2.0 and USB 2.0? or is USB 1.1 speeds overkill for even BT2.0

I've tried looking on the internet forever but could not find one like that

Im trying to pair my computer with a samsung t809, if someone has a better setup please let me know

Reason why i am doing this is because i have winXP x64 and PC studio will not work with my OS

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by guitar otoko
    hey, sorry to ressurect an old thread...

but is there a BT dongle that supports BT 2.0 and USB 2.0? or is USB 1.1 speeds overkill for even BT2.0

I've tried looking on the internet forever but could not find one like that

Im trying to pair my computer with a samsung t809, if someone has a better setup please let me know

Reason why i am doing this is because i have winXP x64 and PC studio will not work with my OS
    Most (if not all) of the BT HCI 2.0 dongles are USB 2.0...

So, like the Kensington being sold at Circuit City and Best Buy.. its USB 2.0/BT HCI 2.0...