Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Does cingular offer no contract option?

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    M2M requires at least a 1yr contract.

Yes they do have the no contract option. You need to either have/buy your own phone (cingular branded or unlocked) when you go to sign up, or you will have to buy the phone through one of the stores at the retail (no contract) price. Then you are able to go "no contract" with them, you just won't have M2M.

Device(s)
    HTC 8525/TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irelynx
    M2M requires at least a 1yr contract.

Yes they do have the no contract option. You need to either have/buy your own phone (cingular branded or unlocked) when you go to sign up, or you will have to buy the phone through one of the stores at the retail (no contract) price. Then you are able to go "no contract" with them, you just won't have M2M.
    I ended up calling cingular and they told me the only way to go no contract is with pre-paid, but i gues it's not a big deal to go 1 year anyways.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by chembro84
    I ended up calling cingular and they told me the only way to go no contract is with pre-paid, but i gues it's not a big deal to go 1 year anyways.
    That's simply not true.

Not signing a contract means you aren't eligible for promotional features. Right now, that is m2m. Many if not most reps aren't aware that there is a no contract option other than gophone. In stores, it's often hard because the salesperson makes little or no commission on it, but if it's slow, they'll probably have no problem doing it. Even though they should do their job in the first place, it's understandable why they'd be less inclined toward making it happen when they could be helping someone else and making more $$.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by wierdo
    Not signing a contract means you aren't eligible for promotional features. Right now, that is m2m.
    Does that mean you do qualify for the promotional feature at the time of line activation or does it change as you go along? In other words, if I went no contract now would I never get M2M or would it change when the promotional features change?

Device(s)
    HTC 8525/TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    That's simply not true.

Not signing a contract means you aren't eligible for promotional features. Right now, that is m2m. Many if not most reps aren't aware that there is a no contract option other than gophone. In stores, it's often hard because the salesperson makes little or no commission on it, but if it's slow, they'll probably have no problem doing it. Even though they should do their job in the first place, it's understandable why they'd be less inclined toward making it happen when they could be helping someone else and making more $$.

Sweet so I could get the 39.99 plan with 450 roll over and 5000 N&W without m2m and be totally free of a contract? Do you know exactly what this option is called so when i sign up I can ask for it specifically in "cingular talk"

Device(s)
    HTC Mogul aka HTC Titan aka PPC-6800
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I have a Cingular no contact plan, signed in up in a corporate store no problems. Eventually worked my way to a family plan with no contract. I even have m2m, it seems the family plan added it on for free without contract.

Device(s)
    W810i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I have a family plan and added a 3rd line with no contract on that line with all the features of the family plan 7 to 7 and mobile to mobile.. was not an issue .. told them I had an old phone that I was going to use and just needed them to send me a SIM and activate the line... they did! it all works no contract on the 3rd line

Device(s)
    HTC 8525/TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Does anyone know what cingular calls this option cause the 2 people i've talked to had no clue about it (like a previous poster said, I'm sure they don't want to sign me up without a contract they wouldn't make as much money that way).

Device(s)
    Nokia E71-2
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Sweet so I could get the 39.99 plan with 450 roll over and 5000 N&W without m2m and be totally free of a contract? Do you know exactly what this option is called so when i sign up I can ask for it specifically in "cingular talk"
    COAM, or customer owned and maintained equipment. If you put it into these terms you should be able to activate it with out a contract. i originally signed up this way. Good luck!
    I my Grandfathered MEdiaWorks:
    1500 SMS / 200 MMS / Unlimited Data / $19.99 a month

8 Years on HoFo

Device(s)
    HTC 8525/TyTN
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by daftgem
    COAM, or customer owned and maintained equipment. If you put it into these terms you should be able to activate it with out a contract. i originally signed up this way. Good luck!
    Thank you! Armed with this info now I can go to a corporate store and demand no contract

Feedback Score
    Armed with this info now I can go to a corporate store and demand no contract
    being armed with information gives you a leg up on those sometimes not-so-informed reps.
    Last edited by aresthoth; 08-02-2005 at 01:24 PM.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't understand how any rep could fool a customer into thinking there's no "no contract" option. It says in fine print next to the price tags for each phone:

V551 (for example)
    $249 *no-contract
    $100 *1yr contract required
    $50 *2yr contract required

It just baffles me as to how the reps could either seriously be clueless, or succeede in playing the customer for a fool.

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by irelynx
    I don't understand how any rep could fool a customer into thinking there's no "no contract" option. It says in fine print next to the price tags for each phone:

V551 (for example)
    $249 *no-contract
    $100 *1yr contract required
    $50 *2yr contract required

It just baffles me as to how the reps could either seriously be clueless, or succeede in playing the customer for a fool.
    They say that to activate new service, you need to sign a contract.

Device(s)
    Sony Ericsson W580i
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/AT&T
    Feedback Score
    They say that to activate new service, you need to sign a contract.
    Ahh i c, so that's how they try to hook the customers into buying into a contract. They really shouldn't feel the need to try to fool customers like that though; to any new customer that unlimited M2M promotion is enough to make them seriously consider signing a contract anyways.

Device(s)
    Audiovox 8900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

No National Plan Without Contract?

I tried to do this today and the sales rep claimed that in order not to sign up with no contract I had to get a reggional plan. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast