Thread: Razr V3 - Transferring contacts from SIM

Feedback Score

Razr V3 - Transferring contacts from SIM

Hi Guys,

I've searched on the forum with no success so hoped that somebody could assist with my problem.

I've just received a Motorola V3 (Black) and am very impressed with the looks, lightness and apparent build quality (only saying apparent as I've not dropped it yet). I am however having serious problems transferring my existing contacts onto this phone. I can't find anywhere on the menu or in the manual that shows how to 'read' the contacts from the SIM as opposed to the phone. I have tried transferring the contacts via Bluetooth from my 'old' phone but this brings up duplicate entries if I have more than one number for the contact. Can anyone advise me how I can read my contact numbers from my SIM or if this is not something that can be done on this phone.

Hope this is clear and that someone can assist.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Ed

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola Razr2 V8 (Sold)
    Motorola Rokr E6
    Carrier
    BTC - Bahamas
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed68
    Hi Guys,

I've searched on the forum with no success so hoped that somebody could assist with my problem.

I've just received a Motorola V3 (Black) and am very impressed with the looks, lightness and apparent build quality (only saying apparent as I've not dropped it yet). I am however having serious problems transferring my existing contacts onto this phone. I can't find anywhere on the menu or in the manual that shows how to 'read' the contacts from the SIM as opposed to the phone. I have tried transferring the contacts via Bluetooth from my 'old' phone but this brings up duplicate entries if I have more than one number for the contact. Can anyone advise me how I can read my contact numbers from my SIM or if this is not something that can be done on this phone.

Thanks in anticipation,
    Ed
    Go into your phonebook>press the center menu button>select copy>to phonebook.
    Edit:I mis-read your post. If your contacts are on your SIM then when you enter your phonebook they should be displayed. Make sure under the menu>categories>select 'All'
    Last edited by andyahs; 08-02-2005 at 02:39 PM.
    Wow, I thought I had no life, here's a bunch of guys just putting time into their Cell phones......

Phones
    HP IPAQ HW6515
    MOTO RAZR V3
    MOTO V300 Flexed to V600
    Carrier
    TMobile ----> Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Hi Guys,

Thanks in anticipation,
    Ed
    As far as duplicating contacts, set one of the contacts number as a primary and set your phonebook to view primary numbers. You will then be able to go into that contact and look at all their contact information but only one name showing.

Transferring number from SIM to the Phone you can either go the the phonebook copy or copy all then select phone or transfer one at a time. You can also use MPT if you have it. If you do use MPT make sure it is set to save on phone only or phone first before SIM and NOT SIM only.

Hope that helps
    Ratman
    www.ratuita.com

HP IPAQ HW6515

Weekend and Backup
    MOTOROLA V3 RAZR
    S/W: R374_G_0E.42.08R
    Flex: GSMV3xxCIN02NA0A5
    Bootloader 8.23
    Video Recording Enabled

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Feedback Score
    Guys,

Thanks for your help.

I've now got all the numbers transferred just need to sort them out (i.e. one contact with multiple numbers).

I thought I was okay dealing with new technology but could seem to grasp that one without your assistance. . . guess I must be getting old.

Cheers,
    Ed

Phones
    HP IPAQ HW6515
    MOTO RAZR V3
    MOTO V300 Flexed to V600
    Carrier
    TMobile ----> Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Guys,

Thanks for your help.

I've now got all the numbers transferred just need to sort them out (i.e. one contact with multiple numbers).

I thought I was okay dealing with new technology but could seem to grasp that one without your assistance. . . guess I must be getting old.

Cheers,
    Ed
    Go to the contact in the phonebook you want to add information to and press the menu then edit scroll down to MORE select then either add another Phone number or Email address. If you have more than one number and or email addresses for the same contact then go to the contact information you want to show as a primary then go to menu and SET PRIMARY.

To only see the primary information for each contact, go to the phonebook menu scroll down to setup and set view to PRIMARY CONTACTS

Hope that helps.

Phones
    iPhone 8GB
    Samsung D820
    Motorola Razr v3
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I have the same problem, but reserved. I'd rather use my phone's phonebook then my SIM. How do I make it only show my Razr's phonebook, instead of my SIM card?
    Cellphones make your brain go bad.

Phones
    Blackberry Bold 9000
    Motorola Razr2 V8 (Sold)
    Motorola Rokr E6
    Carrier
    BTC - Bahamas
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jon31
    I have the same problem, but reserved. I'd rather use my phone's phonebook then my SIM. How do I make it only show my Razr's phonebook, instead of my SIM card?
    The easiest way is to delete your contacts off your SIM and then copy them back when you change phones or.............change your phone contacts 'Category' to VIP for example then under the phone menu select to view only VIP. All SIM contacts are stored under 'General'

Phones
    iPhone 8GB
    Samsung D820
    Motorola Razr v3
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by andyahs
    The easiest way is to delete your contacts off your SIM and then copy them back when you change phones or.............change your phone contacts 'Category' to VIP for example then under the phone menu select to view only VIP. All SIM contacts are stored under 'General'
    I thought about doing that. The issue is, I've got all my recent/current contacts in my computer. But when I sync over (with iSync on Mac) it adds them all to my SIM card. I need to get them all to my phone, and not have any of my SIM contacts show up.

Ideas?

jon

Phones
    HP IPAQ HW6515
    MOTO RAZR V3
    MOTO V300 Flexed to V600
    Carrier
    TMobile ----> Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jon31
    I thought about doing that. The issue is, I've got all my recent/current contacts in my computer. But when I sync over (with iSync on Mac) it adds them all to my SIM card. I need to get them all to my phone, and not have any of my SIM contacts show up.

Ideas?

jon
    Before you sync change the option to save on the phone or phone first then sim not sim only

Phones
    iPhone 8GB
    Samsung D820
    Motorola Razr v3
    Carrier
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Where is that option? I don't think that's available on iSync. Or am I missing it?