Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tracfone Nokia 1100 - Good RF performance?

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score

Tracfone Nokia 1100 - Good RF performance?

I'm considering picking up a Tracfone Nokia 1100 (~$29 at Wal-Mart) to get the largest GSM service area possible since I'm unable to use my Cingular PAYG in many areas west and northwest of Austin. My Boost phone works in some areas but not all and my Beyond phone is always roaming in these areas.

My question is: Would the Nokia 1100 be satisfactory in RF performance or should I choose another of their GSM phones?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I purchased a Nokia 1100 Tracfone 2 weeks ago and so far have been very pleased with its performance (reception, sound quality, battery life etc.). It is a very basic phone with few bells and whistles, however, it meets my needs for light use talking and texting. Like you, I got it for the expanded roaming capabilities. Living in Northern New York along the Canadian border makes pre-paid coverage difficult with either Verizon or Cingular's offerrings. There are just too many coverage gaps that are filled in (here in NY) by roaming on neighboring towers in Canada. To my knowledge, Cingular's pre-pay doesn't allow this and my Verizon service has been spotty. Sometimes I can roam (at 99 cents per minute.....which is cost prohibitive) and other times the phone simply won't work.

With my new tracfone, the phone roams onto the Canadian Rogers Wireless network with ease. I can make and receive calls and am still charged only 1 unit per minute.

My only complaint with tracfone is the overall high per minute rates if you purchase your minutes "off the shelf." With wheeling and dealing (bonus minute coupons, free referral minutes, and e-bay), the actual per minute rates can be significantly lower, however, it is a pain to have to go through all of this to obtain a reasonable rate.

If you decide to get the tracfone, PM me directly and I can give you a "referral" that will get us each 100 bonus minutes for free.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The 1100 is a decent little phone, basic, simple/easy to use, no frills. Also fits in a shirt pocket.

Their GSM coverage is excellent, it roamed in places where I did not expect it to.

Affiliated commented about the per-minute rates. In my opinion, I think it's worth the extra cost, just to have the excellent coverage area with TracFone.

The other TracFone GSM Nokia model is the 2600 which has a color screen, and I've seen it available at Target in my area. I don't know much about the TracFone Motorola models. With the exception of my first mobile phone (then GE-Ericcson, 1995) and an LG I had on Cingular (2003), all of my mobile phones have been Nokia.
    America Movil/Straight Talk/TracFone customer since 2004.
    verizon customer since 2012.
    T-Mobile customer from 2005-2014.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Affiliated
    I purchased a Nokia 1100 Tracfone 2 weeks ago and so far have been very pleased with its performance (reception, sound quality, battery life etc.). It is a very basic phone with few bells and whistles, however, it meets my needs for light use talking and texting. Like you, I got it for the expanded roaming capabilities. Living in Northern New York along the Canadian border makes pre-paid coverage difficult with either Verizon or Cingular's offerrings. There are just too many coverage gaps that are filled in (here in NY) by roaming on neighboring towers in Canada. To my knowledge, Cingular's pre-pay doesn't allow this and my Verizon service has been spotty. Sometimes I can roam (at 99 cents per minute.....which is cost prohibitive) and other times the phone simply won't work.

With my new tracfone, the phone roams onto the Canadian Rogers Wireless network with ease. I can make and receive calls and am still charged only 1 unit per minute.

My only complaint with tracfone is the overall high per minute rates if you purchase your minutes "off the shelf." With wheeling and dealing (bonus minute coupons, free referral minutes, and e-bay), the actual per minute rates can be significantly lower, however, it is a pain to have to go through all of this to obtain a reasonable rate.

If you decide to get the tracfone, PM me directly and I can give you a "referral" that will get us each 100 bonus minutes for free.
    Thanks for the info. I've read on this forum (I think) that Tracfone will roam just about anywhere there is a usable GSM signal. If I do decide to get it (or another Tracfone), I'll PM you for the referral first. Thanks again...

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP
    Affiliated commented about the per-minute rates. In my opinion, I think it's worth the extra cost, just to have the excellent coverage area with TracFone.
    That's what I've been thinking as well. I think with all the deals and promos that I can probably get the per-minute rate down to a reasonable amount.

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardP
    The other TracFone GSM Nokia model is the 2600 which has a color screen, and I've seen it available at Target in my area. I don't know much about the TracFone Motorola models. With the exception of my first mobile phone (then GE-Ericcson, 1995) and an LG I had on Cingular (2003), all of my mobile phones have been Nokia.
    I'll look into the other Nokia as well. The Motos aren't even in the running. Poor RF performers (generally) and two bad experiences with Motos in the past leave me soured on anything Moto. Although, oddly, I don't have any problems with my Boost Moto...

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Huawei E1831 (webConnect Rocket)
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    I've messed a little with the Nokia 1100 and it seems to be a nice, solid phone. Cheap, too, if you wait for the online promos or get one at Wal-Mart ($5 cheaper than the Tracfone new online price). I've also personally used a Motorola v170. Other than the fact that it's a nice small (nice referring to smallness) flip phone I don't see any particularly redeeming qualities about it. The screen is pretty bright but outrageously small (as in shouting out "hey I'm a junky prepaid phone" small) and we're talking about the inside screen of course; there's no outside screen. The sound effects and ringers are certainly loud enough; don't turn off the phone where you're supposed to be quiet unless you've made sure that it's not going to emit the outrageously loud windchimes effect. Personally, I don't see any reason in paying $20-$30 extra to get a phone that flips if it happens to be the Moto v170 or v171 (Net10 instead of Tracfone, different accent color) Can't comment on voice quality on either phone though.

One thing you might consider is getting a Nokia 2600, which can be found for $40 sometimes at Target. It has a nice color screen, a speakerphone, poly ringtones and a 4-way navigation pad plus other small improvements over the 1100 (hangup\select\select 2\call button arrangement not being one of them). If you can get it at this price, it's definately a no-brainer upgrade from the Wal-Mart-priced 1100 (or the C155 for that matter IMHO). I say Wal-Mart price because you can get the refurb with a 40-minute card on Trac's website periodically for $27 shipped and taxed.

And yes, I want your new user referral too . And if Friday brings the 1100 refurb deal maybe we could coordinate ourselves to cross-refer and get 200 extra minutes apiece!
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by iansltx
    I've messed a little with the Nokia 1100 and it seems to be a nice, solid phone. Cheap, too, if you wait for the online promos or get one at Wal-Mart ($5 cheaper than the Tracfone new online price). I've also personally used a Motorola v170. Other than the fact that it's a nice small (nice referring to smallness) flip phone I don't see any particularly redeeming qualities about it. The screen is pretty bright but outrageously small (as in shouting out "hey I'm a junky prepaid phone" small) and we're talking about the inside screen of course; there's no outside screen. The sound effects and ringers are certainly loud enough; don't turn off the phone where you're supposed to be quiet unless you've made sure that it's not going to emit the outrageously loud windchimes effect. Personally, I don't see any reason in paying $20-$30 extra to get a phone that flips if it happens to be the Moto v170 or v171 (Net10 instead of Tracfone, different accent color) Can't comment on voice quality on either phone though.

One thing you might consider is getting a Nokia 2600, which can be found for $40 sometimes at Target. It has a nice color screen, a speakerphone, poly ringtones and a 4-way navigation pad plus other small improvements over the 1100 (hangup\select\select 2\call button arrangement not being one of them). If you can get it at this price, it's definately a no-brainer upgrade from the Wal-Mart-priced 1100 (or the C155 for that matter IMHO). I say Wal-Mart price because you can get the refurb with a 40-minute card on Trac's website periodically for $27 shipped and taxed.

And yes, I want your new user referral too . And if Friday brings the 1100 refurb deal maybe we could coordinate ourselves to cross-refer and get 200 extra minutes apiece!
    I'll try to swing by Target this week and see if they have the Nokia 2600. Still haven't completely made up my mind about Trac but I think I'll probably get one of their phones. What Friday 1100 refurb deal is that? Does Tracfone have a new promo deal every week on their website? I'll probably just buy from Wal-Mart or Target anyway as I don't want to order a phone and have it sitting around on a UPS truck all day in this heat...battery will probably be DOA!

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Would someone explain how "cross referring" works.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    I got my refurb 1221 (actually dad's) via USPS 3-day and it was great. I don't think you need to worry about that.

Every Friday, Tracfone usually changes their promo selection. Right now they have "free phones with 40-minute cards" whose inventory varies between CDMA\TDMA and CDMA\GSM\tiny-bit-of-TDMA depending on their inventory of refurb phones; if they don't have enough 1100s they won't sell them refurb . Now let's hope that when Friday rolls around they will have the 40-minute plus phone promo for the 1100 somewhere so I can smap it up. And I really hope they won't revert back to the 100-minute promo because it's an extra $11 or so including tax.

On cross-referring you have two new phones and each phone refers the other one. So one phone gets their referee minutes and the other gets their referer minutes. Without adding the minutes the referer phone uses the link provided in the other phone's referral email and so it gets another set of refer minutes, this time as the referee and the previous referee phone gets the same thing. So by a little dancing around you get two hundred extra minutes per phone...nifty...

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    yeah, i hope they make a deal with the 1100. i've decided to go back tracfone as a backup(just buy a 1 year card) and use it every once in awhile. my mom has the 1100 and i LOVE IT. the ringing, vibrating, and lighting up feature is kkinda cool. right now i have the V60i. dont like it as much, and its about to fall apart(was my dads, he is very rough on his phones) so if its only $20, ill DEFINALY have to pick one up. if i do, ill take a referral too :P
    My Feedback!
    1000 posts on July 4th 2007 at 3:06am est

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    If Friday gets in new refurb 1100s on Trac's website can I have a garunteed cross-referral from you Kopeke (you'd be buying the same phone right)? Just trying to get the most for my moola.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to post again so soon, but is it just me or is Tracfone's website (at least the homepage) abysmally slow to load? HoFo will load about 5 pages and Trac will still be sitting there.

Phone
    ZTE, LG
    Carrier
    America Movil, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Sorry to post again so soon, but is it just me or is Tracfone's website (at least the homepage) abysmally slow to load? HoFo will load about 5 pages and Trac will still be sitting there.
    I was just at their web site, it loaded quite fast.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    Huh. Seems the problem only extends to the homepage and refer-a-friend or something similar, as once I'm in the site (or even have loaded all of the homepage text) as you said the stuff loads quickly. I think the server is just slooooooow with initial page requests in a busy time of day on busy pages (RAF, homepage). The site is loading quickly now for me, though not as quickly as some other stuff.

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If Friday gets in new refurb 1100s on Trac's website can I have a garunteed cross-referral from you Kopeke (you'd be buying the same phone right)? Just trying to get the most for my moola.
    sounds great :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast