Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: Setting Up An Unlocked Phone on FIDO

Feedback Score

Cool Unlocked HTC Touch Fido settings - GPRS & Active Sync

Ok. Everything seems to be working ok, after a couple of days of fiddling with this terrific phone, but I'm worried about a couple of things. First, as mentioned in a sticky, my phone shows the "roaming" icon all the time. I understand the Rogers/Fido merge and, indeed, my phone displays "Rogers" but my phone service is with Fido. The # 1 worry is that under Settings - Connections - Network Setup - the countries listed do not include Canada. They're all south east Asia nations. Is my phone scanning foreign lands at my expense, looking for Fido? Until I defeated the splash screen, every time I turned on the phone, I was nagged about the need to set up the network. This phone was purchased from Cellular Baby and they said not to worry - everybody is having the same problem. Hmm. I'd like to be sure that the correct FIDO network settings are installed in the phone.

The other worry is that I never want to use expensive GPRS data transfers and am perfectly happy to limit internet access to WIFI hotspots and my own home/work wireless networks. Nevertheless, whenever I turn on the phone and at other random times, I note that ActiveSync is running. Is my phone spontaneously using GPRS to do dumb stuff like check the weather - update the phone - and lawd knows what else? I don't want ActiveSync to ever work unless I expressly request it, and solely for the purpose of syncing over a USB connection. How do I dumb down this wonderful phone just a little bit in order to counteract the usury of FIDO roaming and data transfer charges?

Feedback Score

Unlocked Hiptop 2 Unlimited Data Transmission.

I am buying either a Sidekick 2 or Sidekick 3(in Canada its sold by Fido as a Hiptop) ; are all the features will be available in Fido Network such as the Unlimited Data Transmission offered by Fido for $20.00 ? Thank You.

Device(s)
    Nokia 3100
    Carrier(s)
    Wind
    Feedback Score
    HELP!!!

I have an unlocked unbranded Nokia 7373. My mms was working but now all of a sudden it's not. The nokia tutorial doesn't seem to work for me...the settings never send to my phone. I've entered them manually from the forums but it's still not working. I get the following message when I try to send a picture message to myself as a test:
    Unable to receive multimedia message
    Sender: my phone #
    Subject: test
    Sent: date and time

When I send to another phone they get the message but I get another similar message:
    Unable to send multimedia message
    Sender: my phone #
    Subject: test
    Sent: date and time

Help please.

Feedback Score

Xenium 9@9U Midnight Black and Fido

anyway, I just received my new Philips Xenium 9@9U from Hong Kong

specs Philips - Xenium 9@9U Midnight Black

one of the reason I bought is because of the long lasting battery (740 hours standby or 8 hours talk time). Love the phone but here is the issue I'm having.

The battery is draining super fast, it is only lasting around 80 hours or so - so here is the question:

is it possible that the Fido network is somehow making the phone work harder than usual and causing the rapidly usage of the battery? I have contacted the supplier of the phone, and they are investigating with PHILIPS, but being the Easters holiday I won't get an answer until next week or so.

Most likely the problem is with the battery of the phone, but I'm still wondering if the Fido network has anything to do with this issue.

Device(s)
    Nokia N73
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    how much did u pay?
    In GOD WE Trust OTHERS MUST PAY CASH
    FEEDBACK HOFOhttp://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=548086
    FEEDBACK HEATWARE
    http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=45218

Device(s)
    Nokia N73
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    hows reception?

Feedback Score
    the phone is good for what I use it ... reception is great .. the only problem right now is the battery issue. Have to wait until next week to find out what PHILIPS is going to say. if they cannot find a solution, I will switch to Nokia

Device(s)
    LG 8550 (work)
    Carrier(s)
    Telus (work)
    Feedback Score
    I have looked around the FAQs but am not able to find the proper information for either an unlocked Samsung SGH D807, formerly a Rogers phone. I was given WAP and internet settings from a Fido CSR yesterday.

I edited the existing Rogers settings to the new Fido ones. It appears to be trying to connect, but doesn't get through. Would the setting recommended for the SGH D500 elsewhere in this thread be applicable to the D807?

I also tried to edit the settings on a Razr V3r, unlocked, originally an AT&T phone, it goes much further towards making a connection but finally it also quits with a "Data server not available" message. Would the settings for the V400 Motorola work on the V3r?

Thanks

Noel

Device(s)
    Blackberry Bold 9700
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    For Fido users:

Some unlocked phones show the roaming (black/white/blue/rainbow coloured triangle) icon when a Fido sim card is inserted. Took me a while to figure it out, but this is normal. What's happening is that since the Rogers takeover, the Fido operator code is no longer broadcasted. Fido's operator code is 302-370, and Rogers is 302-72. The Fido sim cards have both, with 302-370 being primary, and 302-72 secondary. Unlocked phones will look for the primary operator, but since Fido's is no longer in use, the phone will pick up the Rogers secondary and think it's roaming.

In the end, everything will still be billed correctly since the billing system knows where you made your calls, there'll just an extra icon in the status bar, that's all.

Device(s)
    Razor v3i
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    When i bought my v3i the process I went through to get it working went like this:

I put in my SIM card from the Fido phone I had at the time and turned on the phone.

After a few moments, the phone seemed to get whatever settings it needed off the SIM card and away I went, new phone working marvelously. As for the roaming indicator, it doesn't seem to be interfering with my services that i can tell. (I had to download a PDF copy of my phone's manual to remind myself what the roaming icon looked like that's how much of a non-impact it was.)

That would explain why the few MMS that folks had tried to send me didn't work. time to go look up what Fido's MMS settings are, since i have the phone's manual here

Device(s)
    Nokia N73
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Need help with setup for LG BL 40 ( new chocolate)thanx

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4