Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: The Official 8915 Info Thread (Snapper)

Device(s)
    Boost i885
    Carrier(s)
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    what program did you use locke?

Feedback Score
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Will this wire work with the 8915? The site says it works with 8900 audiovox phones.

I'm a relative newb to this stuff.

Feedback Score
    chaisson72, I'm using bitpim to move files on and off the phone.

StrayTanGenT, I think it should work but I can't say for sure. The cable I'm using was intended for a Kyocera Slider SE44 and has a
    Prolific 2303 chip to convert from usb to serial.

I'm already a day late with my promise of more info on games but uploading midlets is breaking my phone, all sound stops working, with distressing regularity so I won't be posting any files until I have that issue sorted out.
    Last edited by Locke; 01-17-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung R560 Messager II
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Wow look at all the progress we are making since I've been out of action. I wish I had something to add but I have been way too bussy with work & other ****. I've been doing the picture replacments for wallpaper for a while. You can also get free wall papers from vm's web site, then over write them. The big thing I still can't figure out is adding more ring tones.

On another note I'm pissed that VM is changing the rates for text messageing. I get a **** load of incoming texts. Oh well

Good luck and keep up the good hacking.

Device(s)
    ZMAX, Concord II
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayTanGenT
    http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=family

Will this wire work with the 8915? The site says it works with 8900 audiovox phones.

I'm a relative newb to this stuff.
    Yeah, those Futuredial compatible cables reportedly work with the 8910, so they should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Locke
    StrayTanGenT, I think it should work but I can't say for sure. The cable I'm using was intended for a Kyocera Slider SE44 and has a
    Those are a different animal. I think you have to use the secondary Curitel port with those serial communication cables. They also cost a bit more than the straight pass-through USB type, if I rememeber correctly.

Feedback Score

Installing midlets(aka Locke's guide to breaking your phone)

I've been working on getting java programs to run on my 8915VM and have had some success. Looking at the phone's file system with bitpim it's pretty clear that each midlet has it's own folder /I/games/X1 where X increases by 1 with each app installed. Both of the preinstalled games have the following files in common

suite.jar - the application
    suite.jad - application descriptor but not in a standard format, more on that later
    suite.mf - manifest file, mangled in the same way as the jad file
    suite.idx - I'm guessing it is a cache index
    icon.png - the icon displayed in the menu
    jadUrl.utf
    jarUrl.utf - these look to be the locations where the jad and jar file originally came from
    settings.bin - not sure, I'll say it stores some settings :P This file is apparently generated whenever an app is run and is always 39bytes in size
    content.dat - describes the contents of the folder to the phone software

Of these files only suite.jar, suite.jad, and content.dat are necessary.
    suite.jar is completely standard other than the apparent name requirement.

suite.jad has all of the features of a standard jad file but instead of being layed out
    Code:
    <Property>: <Value> NEWLINE
    elements are seperated by two bytes. The first byte having a value of 00 and the second byte being the length of the element it procedes. For example
    Code:
    MIDlet-Name: test
    would become
    Code:
    ..MIDlet-Name..test
    with the . characters representing the following byte values 00 0B 00 04. Also the suite.jad file looks to be terminated by a series of 4 bytes FF FF FF FF.

content.dat begins with a byte indicating the length of the first 4 fields followed by 4 null bytes(00). Fields are terminated by null bytes. The fields in order appear to be
    Code:
    folder name, app name, mime type, midlet size, app version, vendor, midlet source, N/A, N/A, N/A, N/A, 1
    I have no idea what the last 5 fields are intended to store so I just copy their values from the preinstalled midlets. The midlet size field is the combined file size in bytes for suite.jar, suite.jad, and if present jadUrl.utf, jarUrl.utf, settings.bin, suite.idx, and suite.mf. As settings.bin is automatically generated when an app is run it should be included in the size or contents.dat will have an incorrect value after the first time the app is run. This also means that when putting an app on the phone settings.bin should be included or content.dat will be incorrect until the app is run.

/I/games/folder.dat is also important when dealing with java midlets on this phone and lists all of the apps installed on the phone. If this file is deleted it will automatically be regenerated when the phone is restarted.

So to install a downloaded midlet DON'T DO THIS UNLESS YOU'RE WILLING TO BREAK YOUR PHONE
    create a new folder with the proper name on the phone
    rename the jar file to suite.jar
    create a properly formated suite.jad from the original jad
    generate a content.dat
    upload suite.jar, suite.jad, settings.bin(copy it from another app), and content.dat to the previously created folder
    delete folder.dat from /I/games
    reboot the phone

I've created a small perl script to help me generate the required files called 8915VM.pl it is run from the command line and takes 2 arguments AppName and the folder name on the phone. If the folder is not specified it defaults to 31. It assumes that AppName.jar and AppName.jad exist and will create a folder AppName.8915/ with suite.jar, suite.jar, and contents.jad. These files and a copy of settings.bin can then be copied to the phone. This app is currently very unpolished and in its current state was intended for my own use. However I'm attaching it as 8915VM.txt(extension changed so I can upload it) if anyone else finds it useful. Although I would recomend waiting for a better version.

I'm also attaching 31.zip which contains a copy of Dwindle with the suite.jad and content.jad files necessary to run on a 8915VM when they are copied to the folder /I/games/31 You will also have to download Dwindle.jar from the above link and rename it to suite.jar. If the folder 31 already exists because you have games other than the 2 demos installed you'll have to create a new folder and edit content.dat appropriately. Do not use notepad for this, use a hex editor.

Once again I can not stress how dangerous editing your phones file system directly is. It is very easy to break your phone. While working on this I have messed up my phone more times than I can count. I frequently put the phone in a state where no sound would play and the only way to shut down the phone was to remove the battery. I make no promises that the files I have provided are correct in anyway and if some thing goes wrong with your phone it is not my responsibilty. BE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR FILES BEFORE TRYING ANYTHING. That way as long as you're lucky enough not to brick the phone you can easily undo whatever happens to go wrong.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Locke; 01-18-2006 at 01:54 AM.

Feedback Score
    For those looking to add wallpapers or ring tones I imagine you can do basically the same thing I did for games.

Attempting any of this will probably break your phone, don't blame me, etc.
    Create a new folder under /I/ringers
    Generate a new content.dat, looking at the default ringers the format is identical but the last parameter should be 0 instead of 1
    Rename the audio file to suite.mp3
    Upload the content.dat and suite.mp3 to the new folder
    Delete /I/ringers/folder.dat
    Reboot phone while crossing fingers and praying.

I'm assuming that contentUrl.utf is not necessary for ringers since jarUrl.utf and jadUrl.utf do not seem to be needed for java midlets.

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Is there a way to make the ringers louder on this phone? Thank you

Device(s)
    ZMAX, Concord II
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjkiii
    Is there a way to make the ringers louder on this phone? Thank you

There are number of audio editing apps out there that should allow you to increase the loudness within the file itself.

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    True. But I was wondering if there is a way to increase the phone ring volume on the phone itself? Thank you

Device(s)
    ZMAX, Concord II
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    If you mean more than the side button/menu , then I don't think so.

Device(s)
    Optimus Slider
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    How about using bitpim and a data cable?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke
    chaisson72, I'm using bitpim to move files on and off the phone.

I'm already a day late with my promise of more info on games but uploading midlets is breaking my phone, all sound stops working, with distressing regularity so I won't be posting any files until I have that issue sorted out.
    !!!!

Are you serious about the SE44 Wire working with the audiovox phone??? Sweet. My last phone was the virgin mobile slider and i have the wire for that phone.

Feedback Score
    "Please wait, user data is being restore... [1]"

That's the message I get every time I boot up my phone. What's the prognosis?

Am I boned????

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by StrayTanGenT
    "Please wait, user data is being restore... [1]"

That's the message I get every time I boot up my phone. What's the prognosis?

Am I boned????
    How'd that happen

Can you connect to the phone with bitmap?

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast