Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: The Official 8915 Info Thread (Snapper)

Feedback Score
    Unfortunately... it doesn't seem like it.

It just keeps constantly resetting. I see the virgin logo (the static one, not the animated star asterix one) and the I get that message with eiter a "[1], [2], or [3] with it."

-------
    11:45:28.450 COM5: Opening port COM5, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000, hardwareflow 0, softwareflow 0
    11:45:28.450 COM5: Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COM5)
    11:45:28.450 COM5: Open of comm port suceeded
    11:45:30.028 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 1 bytes read
    11:45:30.075 COM5: Changed port speed to 38400
    11:45:34.605 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    11:45:34.621 COM5: Changed port speed to 115200
    11:45:37.262 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    11:45:40.137 LG-VX6000: No response to setting QCDMG mode
    11:45:40.200 COM5: Changed port speed to 115200
    11:45:44.621 LG-VX6000: No response to setting QCDMG mode
    11:45:44.621 COM5: Changed port speed to 19200
    11:45:47.230 LG-VX6000: No response to setting QCDMG mode
    11:45:47.292 COM5: Port speed 230400 not supported
    11:45:50.230 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    11:45:50.292 COM5: Changed port speed to 38400
    11:45:53.855 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    11:45:53.950 COM5: Changed port speed to 115200
    11:45:57.512 COM5: Timed out waiting for 7e, requested bytes 1 - 0 bytes read
    11:45:58.278 COM5: Trying next auto port
    11:45:58.325 COM5: Opening port COM5, 115200 baud, timeout 3.000000, hardwareflow 0
    ----

That's the log I get from bitpim. It just keeps repeating the above over and over again... even though I have disconnected the phone... AND bitpim refuses to exit. So i have to alt+ctrl del to open windows task manager and close it that way.

However, I JUST bought this phone within the week from best buy. Is it possible to do an exchange? And while I'm on the subject... can I keep my old phone number? Like... can I use my slider phone number still if I use that number to activate a new phone?

And from your emoticons... I think... it would seem that this phone is bricked.

Last edited by StrayTanGenT; 01-20-2006 at 11:51 AM.

Feedback Score
    I think I know what crashed it though... I didn't make my mp3 file mono. =\

It's driving me nuts to know that it won't boot up.

Device(s)
    ZMAX, Concord II
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gjkiii
    How about using bitpim and a data cable?
    Quote Originally Posted by TakenAback
    There are number of audio editing apps out there that should allow you to increase the loudness within the file itself.
    What did you think I meant when I said that?

Device(s)
    ZMAX, Concord II
    Carrier(s)
    H2O
    Feedback Score
    StrayTanGenT, your phone IS likely bricked, but in that instance when the phone turns on, you might be able to fix the problem.

It totally depends on knowing what you did wrong to begin with. If you overwrote a particular file, and backed up the original first (ALWAYS DO THIS), you could prepare to overwrite it back, and then try to do it in that split second before the phone reboots.

More often than not, people can't seem to do this, but a few have. It may depend on how quick a draw you are.

Feedback Score
    I exchanged the bricked phone. However that piece of information is valuable.... I will keep that in mind the next time my phone is bricked (hopefully never again).

What I realized is that I didn't change the hex codes and junk for the content.dat and url files AND uploaded a stereo mp3... hence the programming meltdown.

=\

But now I have TWO Van Damme quotes from Street Fighter the movie on my new cell as ringers... and I will add more rings and soon pics when I get the chance, now that I understand how to do it implicitly.

=)

If anyone wants them, lemme know and I'll throw it on here as an attachment.

Feedback Score
    COM5: could not open port: (2, 'CreateFile', 'The system cannot find the fiile specified.')

That's the message I get now whenever I try to open up the file tree. =\

Is it the phone, wire...? The phone still works.. but unfortunately... I can't access any of the "downloadable content." (Ringers, wallpapers are not recognized).

Help please?

Device(s)
    PN-215
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    hey so i need help again (yeah i'm dumb)

i recently got a cable from ebay for my phone. when i followed the steps here http://www.vox8910.ca.tt/ and followed everything except

3. Make sure the Phone is OFF and plug the cable into the phone and into the computer. At this point the phone should turn on automatically (don't open the phone).
    which my phone just won't do.

when my phone is connected i have 3 new devices:
    modem->Curitel Packet Service
    ports->Curitel Packet Service Diagnostic Serial
    usb->Curitel USB composite device

all of which i updated the drivers for.

however both bitpim and "my computer" don't show it connected.

pc sync say's it's connected, but after that it gets stuck on "Reading schedule information"

my fone's front says "this phone is in offline"

if there is any other info i can provide, just ask.

thanks
    Last edited by saasaa; 01-23-2006 at 11:48 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung R560 Messager II
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Locke
    For those looking to add wallpapers or ring tones I imagine you can do basically the same thing I did for games.

Attempting any of this will probably break your phone, don't blame me, etc.
    Create a new folder under /I/ringers
    Generate a new content.dat, looking at the default ringers the format is identical but the last parameter should be 0 instead of 1
    Rename the audio file to suite.mp3
    Upload the content.dat and suite.mp3 to the new folder
    Delete /I/ringers/folder.dat
    Reboot phone while crossing fingers and praying.

I'm assuming that contentUrl.utf is not necessary for ringers since jarUrl.utf and jadUrl.utf do not seem to be needed for java midlets.
    Well I finely got the balls to try to add ringtones to my phone. First I wanted to correct the name of one of the ring tones I had replaced. All I did was change the name and the file size in the content.dat file and delete the folder.dat file. I figured that this would be ok. Well When I rebooted the phone I keep geting the message"

Please wait.
    user data is being
    restore...[ 1]

Damn I bricked my phone again!! Well I will wait until Locke or someone else can figure it out and sucesfully add ringtones.
    I'm glad I just backed up the entire phone so I can restore everything onto its repaclement.

Device(s)
    Samsung R560 Messager II
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Oh Locke, I'm not blaming you I just figured you info would work.

Device(s)
    Samsung R560 Messager II
    Carrier(s)
    Cricket
    Feedback Score
    Ok Best Buy is so cool if you get the extended warrenty you can return your phone as many times as you want in one year! Witin 2 hours of bricking my phone I have another one.

Does anyone know how to restore the contact list? I do not have a hard copy of all the numbers I had on my phone but I backed the whole thing up before I messed with it.
    I've tried restoring everthing but alot of files are write protected. I did restore the phnbk file but that did nothing.
    I hope someone can figure out exactly how to add ring tones and explain it to my DUMB ***.

Almost forgot:
    FONT=Comic Sans MS]Here we go, Steelers here we go, Pittsburgh's going to the Super Bowl !!!!![/FONT]
    Last edited by U_NV_ME; 01-24-2006 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Addition

Device(s)
    Audiovox 8915
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile
    Feedback Score

Wallpapers

Goofed up and posted this to the wrong thread so I will post it here. It is very simple and most have probably already figured it out but works pretty good. Have been reading the messages here - This is a great forum. One thing I wanted to mention is that with my Audiovox CDM-8915 service provider Virgin Mobil, I can send wallpapers to myself through the vmpix.com server. Just compose an email in your email client (Outlook, etc) and attach the picture file (picture.jpg) to the email message using file attachment. Send the EMAIL TO (YOURPHONENUMBER)@vmpix.com - I have been using .JPG files but think pretty much anything will work. If not, you can convert to .JPG using GIMP, VUEPRO or whatever. The VMPIX server does some file conversion and maybe also size conversion so try sending before messing with converting it. You will receive the message on your phone. Click receive, (it will download the pic), then click options - save attachment, then go to my pictures (it is under camera menu on my phone) - Highlight the picture and hit options then select use as wallpaper. This also works with sending yourself sounds through the vmpix server and it converts them to the phones format too...wav and .mid files work for sure, not sure about mp3's but there is no way to assign them to a ringtone once you have them saved. If anyone figures out how to do this with one of the software packages please post here. Hope this help!

RODGER DODGER

Device(s)
    VM Shuttle
    Carrier(s)
    Virgin Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    I have been playing with the 8915 lately. It's better to pay a few dollars to download some ringtones and fill the phone to max (is 9 the max?). Then, replace the ringtones with your own. I have screwed up alot, but as long as I restored the original folder.dat and content.dat files, I never bricked the phone when replacing existing ringers. I can even change the names of the ringtones as long as they are the same character length as the original names.

Feedback Score
    I'm going nuts... I figured that the problem before could be fixed after resetting my computer... but now I can't upload more than 1 original ringtone.................

I've recovered the rings to status quo... but no success. If i try to create a 70 folder and stuff, "error" or even if I try to replace one of the default ringers, no dice.

=\

Device(s)
    PN-215
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Hmm the file system for VZW seems to be a lot different then VM. The place ringtones go is just user->sound->ringer however, i can't actually edit any of the files on my phone. i keep getting an error. any idea why?

Feedback Score
    Rocinante... so... i HAVE to dl new ringtones to replace?

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast