Thread: Will I be charged for tethering on my audiovox5600? I Have unlimited data.

Feedback Score

Will I be charged for tethering on my audiovox5600? I Have unlimited data.

Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll try here.

I just got a 5600, and all this was kind of confusing to me, sry. But If I have the unlimited data plan from cingular and lots of minutes, If I use bluetooth to connect my phone to my computer and use my phone to get the computer on the internet, will I be charged extra? I just want to visit normal sites like www.blah.com, no ssh or extra things. Thanks.

Device(s)
    N85/k850i/iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    It wont charge you minutes and you shouldn't be charged for data.
    kyle

Feedback Score
    omg, thanks! And this is confirmed right?

Device(s)
    N85/k850i/iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    ATT
    Feedback Score
    I've tethered for basic browsing and IM through my phone before and haven't been charged. Just don't abuse it ya know?

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Searches are often helpful to find answers to questions that are asked daily.

Feedback Score
    didn't know this was asked daily, I looked, didn't see anything. Every time I tried to search it just went to a blank page... wasn't working today

Device(s)
    Nokia N900, Nokia E75, Nokia 5800XM
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CrewXp
    didn't know this was asked daily, I looked, didn't see anything. Every time I tried to search it just went to a blank page... wasn't working today
    Sorry, I wasn't aware the search was broken. So few people bother, though, that it's kind of a reflex.

On preview: I want the old have a drink back!

Feedback Score
    If you have a data plan, tethering would use whatever amount of data you pay for. Since you have the unlimited data access you're good. If you don't have a data plan, tethering will use up your airtime minutes, so be careful.

Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by KikoKazuma
    If you have a data plan, tethering would use whatever amount of data you pay for. Since you have the unlimited data access you're good. If you don't have a data plan, tethering will use up your airtime minutes, so be careful.
    not sure where you are getting your info from. tethering will not use your minutes unless you are using CSD. tethering with GPRS or EDGE and you'll just pay the standard cingular data rate if you don't have a media or data plan.

Feedback Score
    I thought that only applied to accounts with internet pay per use features. If i'm wrong I apologize, im a moron, don't mind me ^_^.

Device(s)
    HP IPAQ HW6515
    Carrier(s)
    TMobile ----> Cingular
    Feedback Score
    To the OP depends on what kind of data plan you have and your setup.

If you have grandfathered MediaWorks or MediaNet Unlimited, then make sure you are set to wap.cingular so you will not get charged data at PPU.

If you have the PDA/LAPTOP data plan, then you can either use isp.cingular.

Now if you want to use your minutes which is a lot slower than GPRS/EDGE, then subscribe to CSD.

If you have the first feature and gets charged PPU and you are using wap.cingular, then it is because the CSR did not take that off of your account so if you get billed, you can contest it and have it, ask to have PPU removed and adjust your bill.
    Ratman
    www.ratuita.com

HP IPAQ HW6515

Weekend and Backup
    MOTOROLA V3 RAZR
    S/W: R374_G_0E.42.08R
    Flex: GSMV3xxCIN02NA0A5
    Bootloader 8.23
    Video Recording Enabled

Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it.
    Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it.

--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Feedback Score
    By the way, Does the Audiovox SMT 5600 EDGE? I've read somewhere it doesn't, and I've also read it does. Thx

Device(s)
    cingular 3125
    Carrier(s)
    cingular
    Feedback Score
    smt 5600 is not EDGE, GPRS only...new versions (totally new phone) but same form factor as the SMT are coming out from HTC/QTEK and will have EDGE, running WM5 OS.

on the tethering question...yes, you can do it, technically possible, since you have unlimited data just make sure you don't also have pay-per-use data on your account...the people you find posting about a $1000+ data bill have typically not gotten their account setup right (b/c cingular is stupid) and therefore get the 19.99 charge, plus .01/kb PPU charges...

also, you are not SUPPOSE to tether w/ the 19.99 plan, if you do, Cingular doesn't state that you will or can be charged, however, they legally reserve the right to boot you off your plan...nobody to date has posted they have been booted or been caught tethering, but don't be suprised since tethering a laptop w/ anything other than the 79.99 data plan is against policy.

Device(s)
    Cingular 2125
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Anyone have a quick link to instructions for tethering with this phone? Preferably with the cable, rather than bluetooth, but either may work.