Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: D500 + Legacy AT&T mMode/WAP/MMS = Solution

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-D500
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Cingular)
    Feedback Score

D500 + Legacy AT&T mMode/WAP/MMS = Solution

I realize that this is not an uncommon issue on this forum but I've read everything that I can find and tried umpteen different sets of settings and nothing seems to work Bear with me and I'll detail what I've encountered:

I am a former "legacy" AT&T customer now with Cingular. I've had a GSM phone (Nokia 3650) for about two years now and have subscribed to their "mMode" service for that time. I'm not big into text messaging but it has been convenient to use the mMode service to send and receive emails (particularly of cellphone pictures) and occasionally to use the device as a modem for my iPaq. I recently purchased a brand new, never opened, unlocked D500 and it fired up perfectly well upon insertion of my SIM card and works terrifically as a phone. Of course it cannot connect to the internet, send or receive emails or MMS messages either. It can send and receive text messages fine, though. This leads me to my first question; as a subscriber to what AT&T (Cingular) calls mMode, should not the phone technically be able to do all of the above? The acronyms are sometimes confusing to me, but I think that I should be able to use WAP, MMS and email, right?

I've spent hours reading posts on this and other forums and many people have (obviously) vey similar stories. Many times, helpful and well-intentioned people respond....sometimes with lists of settings that more or less correspond to those requested by my phone's setup screens and sometimes with links to Cingular's tutorial pages, which are worse than useless as none of the supported phones have the exact same set of variables, at least not according to what I've seen. Cingular's own technical support is abysmal for any "non-supported" (read go frak yourself) device.

Am I correct that the settings that I need to enter to enable WAP are all the ones listed under "Browser" "profile settings"?

I have entered all of the setting values as described on other posts, ie;

Profile Name express
    Home URL http://device.home
    Bearer GPRS only
    Proxy enable
    GPRS Settings: IP address 66.209.11.32
    Port 8080
    APN wap.cingular
    Login ID [email protected]
    Password CINGULAR1

No matter what settings I enter I have always gotten the message: error, network not available.

I'm at wit's end here trying to get this stupid thing to work. I live near Boston, and I am wondering if there are shops that sell unlocked GSM phones that might be able to assist with this sort of thing. Anyone heard of such an outfit?
    Last edited by timagination; 09-16-2005 at 03:28 PM.

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    First off, what SIM do you have in your phone, an AT&T SIM or a Cingular SIM?

If it's an AT&T SIM, the settings you posted will not work. They would only work with a Cingular SIM and you'd have to have a MEdia Net plan, MEdia Bundle or Pay-per-use WIX on the account.

I believe the D500 has a WAP 2.0 Browser so you would need to try these settings below.

AT&TWS WAP 2.0 Settings:

Name: <whatever you want>
    Homepage: http://home
    Proxies: Enable
    Primary proxy address: 010.250.250.054
    Primary proxy port: 8080
    Secondary proxy: <keep it as is>
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    Bearer Settings
    GPRS Access Point: Proxy
    Authentication type: Normal
    Login type: Automatic
    User name: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

MMS Settings:

Name: <whatever you want>
    Homepage: http://mmsc.mobile.attwireless.net
    Proxies : Enable
    Primary proxy address: 010.250.250.055
    Primary proxy port: 8080
    Secondary proxy: <leave it as is>
    Data Bearer: GPRS
    GPRS Access Point: Proxy
    Authentication Type: Normal
    User name: <blank>
    Password: <blank>

I don't know if they will work, but wouldn't hurt to try.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-D500
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Mango 808....thank you very much for that simple question you started off with. Yes it is the blue, AT&T SIM that came with my Nokia 3650 2 years ago. I hade no idea that this would be an issue and in my ignorance, I would have gone on and on and probably not have gotten anywhere except more frustrated.

I will call Cingular customer service straightaway. Thanks again. There's hope......

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-D500
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Mango808 you are a freakin' god. I did call Cingular and they basically told me that unless I got a new, orange SIM nothing at all would work on my blaspheming unsupported phone and that the only way to get said orange SIM would be to change to a Cingular rate plan and sign on again for a year and the office that could help me was closed now and blah blah blah. I hung up and re-read your kind reply and realized that you were providing me with a DIFFERENT set of values than any of the previous I had tried(.......DOH.......wrong settings for AT&T SIM...........) so I fired up the phone and for the thirteenth time at least today entered strings of values in fields.

Un-frakking-believable!!!!!! mMode pops up in beautiful, fully functional living color....Bingo!!!!with trembling fingertips, I enter the MMS settings in their particular fields, draft a quick test message with a picture attached and send it to myself.......Blammo!!! Out it goes whilst almost simul-one-deously an MMS message a coworker tried to send me earlier today came screaming in!

It appears that your help has gotten my new toy up and running at it's full capacity..in a matter of minutes.

Anyone else reading this post please understand.........this is a beautiful thing given the amount that I've been beating myself up these past few days having spent $340 on an exquisitely crafted little jewell of a................common cell phone.

The internet is truly a wondrous thing. Thank you all very much.

Device(s)
    Samsung SGH-D500
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T (Cingular)
    Feedback Score

email settings for D500 on Cingular network with AT&T SIM?

Mango808 was able to set me up with the appropriate values that enabled my WAP and MMS perfectly, but I am still attempting to set up the email account on this phone.

I am a "heritage" AT&T customer, now paying my bills to Cingular but with a blue AT&T SIM being the heart of my phone. This had special significance for the WAP/MMS settins aparently and it appears to hold true for the email stuff as well.

I've searched this and other forums at length but so far no joy. With this phone SGH-D500, AT&T SIM and Cingular as my provider the values I'm prompted for are these under "Email account":

Account Name

User name

Email address

Reply address

SMTP server

SMTP port

Protocol type

POP3 server

POP3 port

APOP login (checkbox)

User ID

Password

I put the SIM back in my Nokia 3650 and sent myself an email to my computer. Examining the information in the header I can see that some of these values apear to be listed here, but they're somewhat vague about which fields need what info.

This information may already be out there in other posts but I sure as shinola can't seem to find it. Anybody??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    The information that goes in there is for your e-mail provider (i.e. netzero, hotmail, gmail, yahoo premium, etc) and you would have to get it through them.

If it is the mMode e-mail, then you would need to go to this link below which is for Legacy AT&T Wireless customers (those with AT&T SIM cards) to have the settings sent to the phone via OTA SMS. It also has a tool to setup the other e-mail if it one of the ones listed. Only problem is there are no Samsung phones to choose from to get the settings for.

Legacy AT&T Wireless Device Setup Tools

I pulled these settings from the V551 and it is for setting up mMode e-mail. Pick through them as it pertains to each settings that you have above to put in the D500. I bold typed those that should be needed to work.

*E-mail provider: User defined, example "mMode e-mail"
    *Protocol: Select the appropriate protocol for the e-mail account being used, POP3 or IMAP4. mMode mail users should select POP3.
    *User ID: E-mail account user name (the username is case sensitive)
    *Password: E-mail account password (the password is case sensitive)
    *Sending host: smtp.mymmode.com
    *Sending port: 25
    *Receiving host: pop.mymmode.com for mMode mail accounts or pop.yourisp.com for POP3 e-mail accounts.
    *Receiving port: 110
    *Return address: [email protected] or [email protected]
    *Name: This field should be left blank. If this field is populated the recipient will see the code of the letters i.e. Name entered as Nate will be displayed as bmF0ZQ==.
    *Cleanup: None
    *Save on server:Yes
    *Notification: On
    *Check new messages: Optional, recommended to set to "NO" to avoid incurring higher data charges.
    *Hide fields: Optional
    *Auto signature: Optional
    *Security: Press Change to access the additional settings.
    __+Use SSL for sending: No
    __+Use SSL for receiving: No
    __+Warnings in background: Break connection
    *Size restriction: 10240
    *Unread only: Optional (Yes or No)
    *Receive Date Range: Optional (last 1, 3, 5 , 7 days, or Custom date range).
    *Attachments: Optional (All, Graphics only, Music only, or None).

Feedback Score

How about GPRS settings for Cingular users with Cingular SIM card?

Hey guys,

I have the D500 and like TIMAGINATION (prior to figuring out how to get his browser and MMS to work) have been searching everywhere to find the correct settings for my D500. However, unlike TIMAGINATION, I have the orange Cingular SIM, not the old AT&T one. Any thoughts on how to get my internet and MMS working?

MANGO808 - You mentioned that with a Cingular SIM, I'd need a MEdia Net plan, MEdia Bundle or some Pay-per-use account. Is this the only way I can have access?

Thanks for you help.

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Samsung E715...?

Hi, I have an unlocked e715, and am a legacy att go phone user... I just wanted to know for this phone what the settings need to be so I can access online features. As it is now, I can't get online or send mms. It's asking for the following info when I put the WAP code of "*#87927# to setup WAP"

First it asks to select between...
    VoiceStream GPRS
    VoiceStream CSD
    GPRS Preferred
    Profile4 Info
    Profile5 Info

*I selected 4 to customize a new profile, which it then asks for...

1 Profile Name (I get this one)
    2 Homepage
    3 Security
    4 Bearer
    5 IP Address
    6 User Name
    7 Password
    8 APN

I AM a newbie to this so if someone can just tell me what I need to do to get the mmode working on this model, that would be awesome. THANKS a lot in advance for any help.

Also, can I just pull these settings from another functioning phone?

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Okay, so I was able to pull the info off the other phone, and it's working now. Or it was, now, the phone doesn't recognize service and says "searching" making the browser also unavailable. don't know if changing some of the WAP settings would effect the rest? Sorry to be so uninformed.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    These are the settings that I had used in my E715 and they worked when I tried them a few years ago. I won't test them again as I incurred un-necessary data usage just for testing it out for someone. There use to be a thread here in the FAQ Section that I had this posted in, but for some reason it's no longer here.

ATT mMode Settings to use in a T-Mobile E715/E105
    WAP/GPRS Settings

Enter *#87927#
    Select Profile4 Info (Option #4)
    2: Set Homepage URL to http://home
    3: Set Security to Non-Secure
    4: Set Bearer to GPRS
    5: Set IP Address to 010.250.250.250
    6/7: Make sure username and password are blank
    8: Set APN to 'proxy' without the ' marks

Step 3: MMS Settings

Enter *#87667#
    1: Set Profile Name to mMode
    2: Set Connection URL to http://mmsc.mobile.attwireless.net/
    3: Set Security to Non-Secure
    4: Set IP Address to 010.250.250.100
    5/6: Make sure username and password are blank
    7: Set APN to Proxy (note capital P)

If you plan on only using it with your AT&T SIM, then you can just edit the first and third Pofile for T-Mobile and clear out the other second settings as they may be the problem. Someone mentioned that the phone jumps to the third setting or may have been the first setting whenever you turn the phone back on. I haven't seen it do this though.

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Thanks a lot! This worked great, I don't know if the phone was being slow to start up (which it always has) but it eventually found it's new cingular signal. I was able to send a picture mssg without problems. My only question now is how I can go about downloading ringtones from the mmode service. Whenever I try to access their pages it says "cannot be found, please try again later." It would stand to reason that the pages are presaved in phones already set up to use mmode. I'm assuming it would require me to manually put all the links in to direct to the appropriate pages. Does anyone know how I can do this?
    THANKS MANGO, I appreciate that... I feel so accomplished now. heh...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by analogthought
    My only question now is how I can go about downloading ringtones from the mmode service. Whenever I try to access their pages it says "cannot be found, please try again later." It would stand to reason that the pages are presaved in phones already set up to use mmode. I'm assuming it would require me to manually put all the links in to direct to the appropriate pages. Does anyone know how I can do this?
    THANKS MANGO, I appreciate that... I feel so accomplished now. heh...
    You can always just browse the ringtone library on your computer and send them to your phone. Go to this link and try it. It's for the AT&T Wireless customers.

Tones & Pictures

Select any of the Samsung phones X426, V206 or E316 as the phone as they use the same format.

Device(s)
    Treo 650
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango808
    You can always just browse the ringtone library on your computer and send them to your phone. Go to this link and try it. It's for the AT&T Wireless customers.

Tones & Pictures

Select any of the Samsung phones X426, V206 or E316 as the phone as they use the same format.
    This is part 5 of my problems. heh. I have a mac, and no cable to connect the phone to the computer. Sounds like it's time to invest in one. The site won't allow me to download, but I'm thinking that's because of the plan I am on (go phone)... not a tech problem. Thanks again for all your help!

Feedback Score

MMS settings ATT d500 (yes i checked the sticky)

I still cannot get my MMS to work. Everytime I try to send or recieve it says "unknown subscriber" I have an unlocked D500 with an ATT sim settings are as followed

Profile Name: MMS
    home url: http://mmsc.mobile.attwireless.net
    Bearer: GPRS only
    Proxy: Enable
    ---- GPRS settings---
    Ip address: 10.250.250.55
    Port: 8080
    APN : proxy

--- GSM settings ---
    Ip: 0.0.0.0
    port: 8080
    rest are all blank