Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Samsung P207 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Samsung P207 review:

http://www.howardchui.com/modules.ph...icle&artid=214

I have been using a Rogers retail Samsung P207 now for a good 4 weeks now and would like to share my findings. The phone retails for $99.99/$149.99 on 3/2 year respectively or $339.99 no term MTM activation

http://www.shoprogers.com/store/wire...P207&summary=1

Reception
    Quite frankly, this phone is excellent. It definatly harks back to the old Samsung R225 that many viewed as excellent http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=45
    In many places where my S710a would struggle the P207 just hung on for dear life. I had gone away to a cottage up in Parry Sound and in many cases where the S710a would boarder on 1 bar/no service* the P207 just hung there with 1 bar flashing it's little led light away happily signifying it had service. It easily passes the cantina test without any issues, and unlike the E316, the P207 has great handoff characteristics.

*I found that if you leave the S710a open, for some reason it hangs on better in weak areas.. it was strange

One test I did was I called up Gadgetmon on the P207 and maintained a voice call for a good 45 minutes while driving around through quite a few weak areas. The path I Took was winding and treacherous and led me through many many parts of Richmond hill/aurora.

I started at Yonge and 16th and proceeded west on 16th to woodbine. The phone worked fine, Gadgetmon never commented on any breakups or poor audio. Bayview and 16th is a poor intersection even post integration, and will show a good phone from a great one. Good phones will maintain the call but garble up a bit, Great ones maintain the call.

I then grabbed a cup of excellence at Tim hortons and proceeded north on woodbine until 19th ave, I then went across 19th ave towards Yonge. the stretch of 19th between leslie and bayview is also a good place to test. the P207 worked Fine.

I then proceeded North on Yonge to Bloomington taking me through Oak Ridges. The phone worked great, it had trouble right at the corner of Yonge and bloomington though when i could hear Gadgetmon, but he couldn't hear me, but as I proceeded East on Bloomington it picked up again within 10 meters.

I then headed South on Bayview towards stoufville sideroad, This section of bayview is new (between bloomington and stoufville side road bayview never existed) and I find it a great place to test phones as well, again the phone worked great down this stretch breaking up once similar to that of Yonge and bloomington. The hone itself showed 0 "bars" but I could hear gadgetmon fine and he could hear me, although it was distorted.

Then I proceeded East across Stouffville Side Road and South on Leslie back to 16th. Phone worked fine the whole way

So im my experience, i'm quite fond of the RF of the P207, it's a great little phone.

Sound Quality
    I liked the P207's audio. It was nice and loud and clear i usually kept it at 3 of 5 which is great since most of my phones I run on max. Outgoing audio is also excellent. One of the best Gadgetmon and others kept telling me.

Camera
    Standard fair with a few fun tricks.
    the camera has a Timer with a 3/5/10 second interval

there are 4 images sizes on the P207:
    640 x 480, 320 x 240, 176 x 160 and 160 x 120
    there are different types of image shot options, such as:
    *single shot
    *Multi shot
    *Mosiac shot
    *Night shot

the Multishot also gives you even more options to choose from such as:
    6/9/15 shots in Normal or High quality mode.

there are also a whole bunch of assorted effects:
    *frames
    *Black and white
    *Negative
    *Sepia
    *Emboss
    *Sketch http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/9316/spa00235jn.jpg
    *Antigue http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/7328/spa00222dl.jpg
    *Moonlight http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/2175/spa00245ka.jpg
    *Fog http://img82.imageshack.us/img82/8679/spa00252xe.jpg
    they're pretty much straightforward but the last 4 i provided examples.

there are also 4 shot qualities:
    Superfine, Fine, Normal, Economy.
    Below are images of the same thing taken with the different qualities for your viewing pleasusre. Also worth noting, the Images sizes are 64kb, 54kb, 38kb, and 29kb respectively.

Superfine:

Fine:

Normal:

Economy:

and Finally the P207's keypad access all these functions directly instead of having to go into the menu using keys 1 through 9 and the 4 way directional arrow.

4 day Dpad
    UP: Zoom in
    Down: Zoom out
    Left: decrease brightness
    RIght: Increase brightness

1/9
    1> still images/Video mode
    2> Picture size
    3> quality
    4> Multishot 6/9/15 normal/high
    5> effects
    6> night shot
    7> Frames
    8> Timer
    9> Photo alum/directory
    * Full screen mode

Aesthetics
    I like the look and feel of the phone. There arent' many black phones out today aside from the RAZR/Berries/SMT5600 from my recollection. The only drawback to the Samsung piano black finish is that it fingerprints quite easily and requires constant "shirt rubbing" to clean it up.

Screen
    Samsung's strengths have long been their screens and the P207 doesn't disappoint. With a 176x220 262k internal screen and a 65k external LCD it's got some good offerings in terms of the latest in screen tech. The external screen reflects sunlight so it can be seen, the Internal screen however appears to lack this and is like any traditional TFT screen in direct sunlight. barely readeable. When compared to the 6230b / S710a / 6101 which have these reflective screens, it misses out.

Also worth noting, while the screen is 176x220, the wallpaper size is not. Even though Rogers.com seems to think the phone takes a 176x220 wallpaper it's to tall. Reason being that the top row of icons and bottom row of menu/names takes space. I never did figure out the right measurements since I can't send pictures over to the phone for use as wallpapers anyway. My guess is the wallpaper sizing would have to be 176 x 208 or some other odd #

Menu setup
    Logical and straightforward, it's a 3x3 grid of icons which can be access similar to nokia's numeric shortcuts by selecting the #key that represents the Icon's location.
    so #1 is top left, 9 is bottom right. The menu itself is pretty straightforward and easy to get along with. It is also quite colourfull

SMS
    SMS is also straightforward and the P207 uses T9. It also has user expandable T9 so you can enter your own custom words and is pretty much the standard T9 offering. it works well and I have no complaints

Keypad
    The keypad, while aranged logically, just isn't for me. I find the keys to small and i find myself often checking if the key was pressed or if i accidentally hit another key. The look of the keypad itself is clean though and everything is within easy reach. Buttons are placed where you'd expect and are nicely labeled

Voicemode Technology
    The P207 features VoiceSignal's Voicemode technology.
    basically, you can instruct the phone to carry out various commands by using your voice. no recording voice tags necessary. There is an inntial training period in which the phone has you say 122 words. It's with these words an the way you say them as to how the phone is able to understand you for when you're using Voicemode to dictate SMS. Voicemode is a great little feature and I found i actually used it so let's take a look at it's various offerings:

SMS
    you can use voicemode to dictate SMS. It's a great idea, but truth be told it's not practical or implemented properly. I would constantly have to change the dictated sentence manually afterwards anyway since it never seem to get what I was saying right. I would say "hey man, want to go for a coffee" and it would put up "hey ma`am, one to go forrest coffee"
    using Voicemode for SMS isn't something I used afterwards trhth be told

Phone commands
    where voicecommand really shines is dictating voice commands.
    I was using it all the time issuing orders such as:
    "Call home"
    "Call Gadgetmon cell"
    "Call Hartom cell"
    "Call Ted Rogers cell"
    etc etc etc.

it was great, always worked and became 2nd nature. so much so I never even bothered to set up speed dials, since I never used them and just kept speaking. It also worked well in louder areas since the mic is so close to your mouth anyway.

You can also dictate various other orders to the phone using the voicemode software. these commands are:
    *Call used to initiate calls
    *Send text used to dictate SMS
    *Lookup you can lookup contact info in your phone
    *Go to you can go to your calendar/ringtone/ to do list/phonebook or VM
    *Check status/signal/battery/my phone #

Applications
    The P207 features a suite of applications to help manage your day. The common Alarm, with single use or daily recurring is there (use auto power option if you turn phone off otherwise phone wont' turn on to wake you) The calendar is there, a To Do list is there as well as a calulator and exchange rate app.

EMAIL
    The P207 also features an Email client which supports attachments:
    *Vcard
    *Vcalendar
    *graphics
    *Video
    *Add audio

The email client itself can also handle attachemts when receiving up to approx 150kb.
    I found that since the P207 lacks connectivity options, I would just set up the POP3 email client with my email account, then send myself MP3 ringtones under 150k. I would then use the Email client on the P207 to pull that attachment into the phone, and subsequently save that attachment for use as a Ringtone.

You can also set up a HTML page where you host your own ringtones, then use the P207's browser to DL those tones to the phone, but this costs Data so be warned

Connectivity/Ringtones
    Now, as mentioned above, there is really no connectivity on the P207. I did order the USB cable (older serial wont' work, nor will serial to usb style sammy cables either) In the Cable packaging for the P207 there was the cable itself and the Easy Studio II file manager software.

However, even with the software, it would only access images and Video's on the phone. I coudlnt' access ringtones, nor send or receive ringtones. The SW also doesn't sync with outlook. For that I had to find EasyGPRS and use that to "sync" with outlook. It's really not even syncing as all I did was select all on the PC and copy it to the phone. It worked anyway and I got my whole phonebook on the unit so it's not a big deal

Speaking of Ringtones, I was not that impressed with the volume of the ringtones. Because the P207 uses the earpiece to play it's ringtones, it just isn't that loud. many MP3 ringtones were just to low to be used anywhere other then a Library.

Battery
    The battery life on this phone was average.
    When used as my daily grinder I would have to charge daily. It's not as bad as the S710a, but it's not exactly stellar. I have a feeling it's the dual screens that are the root of this. Either way, the BAttery life isn't the strong point of this phone. I hve been told that if you turn off the status light it conserves battery life. While I never got around to trying this I really don't know how much of a positive impact a small little led light would affect the phone. I doubt it would be anything significant.

Misc

Vibe and Ring
    One thing I found odd was while the P207 has Vibrate, it doesn't vibe and ring.. only vibe then ring. I don't understand why this is. Samsung has had Vibe and ring for the longest time but on this model it's just missing

call handling
    once nice feature of the P207 is the ability to reject a call with the flip closed. Not just slience the ring, but actually reject a call. When the call is coming in you simply press and hold one of the volume buttons for 2 seconds and it will bounce the calls. I feel that with a clam shell phone, the ability to decline a call when closed should be there. So far the SE's and this P207 do that.

Memory allocation
    While the P207 does infact have 22 megs of memory, it's segmented and compartmentalized into sections. Basically, it's not one big chunk of 22megs for whatever you want. the breakdown is as follows:

*Multimedia 13,312kb
    *Games 4,096kb
    *Fun and tunes, 5,120kb
    ------------------------------
    =22.5 Megs

Ratings

Performance..............9
    Build quality...............9
    Battery life.................7
    Features for $$..........7
    Software...................9
    Camera......................10 (not quality, but for the sheer # of fun add ons)
    Keypad........................7

Overall.......................8

Good phone for those looking for a quality phone without all the add ons

PROS:
    *Excellent RF
    *Excellent earpiece volume
    *Excellent Incoming and outgoing audio
    *Sleek Black appearance
    *Excellent inner and outer screns
    *Good Email client
    *Voice recognitions sotware for carrying out phone functions
    *Camera addon features
    *Ability to reject calls with clam closed

CONS:
    *Medium battery life
    *strange Memory allocation
    *black finish easy to fingerprint
    *Voicemode SW not that great for dictating SMS
    *Lack of access to Ringtones even with cable/SW
    *Connector plug on bottom of phone can get in way
    *Lack of speakerphone
    Last edited by Treatz; 10-12-2005 at 09:01 PM.

Device(s)
    BlackBerry BOLD
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless Canada ●
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks for your time treatz, great review.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I would be GaDgEtMoN..

Treatz, where can I send you the bill for the test call???

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    great review treatz....!!!! very thorough as usual (how tha hell do have time to do all these tests buddy??)

One thing I noticed about tha OTHER GSM Samsungs that Rogers has carried was tha LACK of rejecting a call using tha volume buttons without flipping open...

That is ONE small benefit that tha CDMA models seem to have had.... (a520, a540, a650, a600, etc....) I'm thankful that they did it for this one finally....

BTW, call me crazy, but tha difference in quality of ALL those pics seems to be pretty minute.... maybe I just can't see tha detail.....
    What is Understood, Need Not Be Discussed...."

Device(s)
    BlackBerry Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    TELUS
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7510/4.0.0 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Hmm..... Never expected to see such a high rating on reception with this phone. Excellent review treatz.

PS: Never notcie there'll be difference in reception when opening up the S710a, I'll definitely try that.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil Ernie
    great review treatz....!!!! very thorough as usual (how tha hell do have time to do all these tests buddy??)

One thing I noticed about tha OTHER GSM Samsungs that Rogers has carried was tha LACK of rejecting a call using tha volume buttons without flipping open...

That is ONE small benefit that tha CDMA models seem to have had.... (a520, a540, a650, a600, etc....) I'm thankful that they did it for this one finally....

BTW, call me crazy, but tha difference in quality of ALL those pics seems to be pretty minute.... maybe I just can't see tha detail.....
    Ya, it's pretty minute, really the only difference I see is Superfine compared to economy. I can see more dots in the economy. But really, I'd leave it on superfine all the time

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Eternity
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7510/4.0.0 UP.Browser/5.0.3.3)

Hmm..... Never expected to see such a high rating on reception with this phone. Excellent review treatz.
    ya, it's really good for RF.
    i was quite impressed considering the E316 I didn't realy like.
    PS: Never notcie there'll be difference in reception when opening up the S710a, I'll definitely try that.
    Ya, it's strange.. maybe it's just my unit.. I dunno

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    One big thing, lack of speakerphone on the Samsung really sucks in those few and far between times that you really need it (want it)

Also, not to get off course too much, but why was the E316 discontinued so soon after it's release anyways?
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    One big thing, lack of speakerphone on the Samsung really sucks in those few and far between times that you really need it (want it)

Also, not to get off course too much, but why was the E316 discontinued so soon after it's release anyways?
    My guess is the cost>
    the E316 wasn't ever a cheap phone

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    I think you should add "LACK OF SPEAKERPHONE" in your "cons" section of your review because that's one of those basic features (like contacts, calendar) that every phone should have and thus be overlooked when making a purchasing decision only to regret it when you find out later

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    I think you should add "LACK OF SPEAKERPHONE" in your "cons" section of your review because that's one of those basic features (like contacts, calendar) that every phone should have and thus be overlooked when making a purchasing decision only to regret it when you find out later
    Good point

Device(s)
    Samsung Galaxy S5 Active, Samsung Captivate
    Carrier(s)
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Great review, makes me want to go out and get one.

As for the speakerphone being a basic feature in a phone, I tend to disagree and think it isn't all that great in any phone and I have a few phones with it (Nokia 3120b/6230b, Moto V551 and Samsung SGH-E635) and I've only used the feature a few times. If anything it should be an added or advanced feature to have in a phone for those that do need/want it.

In regards to the Rogers version of the E316 compared to the AT&T Wireless version, there are quite a few things that was removed on the Rogers one that was mentioned above. My only negative against the E316 was that it was only 850/1900Mhz.
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Device(s)
    BB Bold, Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great review - another lacking though is bluetooth, no?
    References
    HeatWare
    HoFo Feedback
    Witty Comment
    "I love to go to the schoolyard and watch the children jump and scream, but they don't know I'm using blanks." - Jack Handey

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    ^^ that's true, but why stop there??? why not say lack of operating system or a lack of a megapixel camera....??

when reviewing a phone it's best to focus on what it HAS....

but I do agree....

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mango808
    Great review, makes me want to go out and get one.

As for the speakerphone being a basic feature in a phone, I tend to disagree and think it isn't all that great in any phone and I have a few phones with it (Nokia 3120b/6230b, Moto V551 and Samsung SGH-E635) and I've only used the feature a few times. If anything it should be an added or advanced feature to have in a phone for those that do need/want it.

In regards to the Rogers version of the E316 compared to the AT&T Wireless version, there are quite a few things that was removed on the Rogers one that was mentioned above. My only negative against the E316 was that it was only 850/1900Mhz.
    Speakerphones are ghey....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast