Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to not pay for incoming text messages

Phone
    Motorola V400
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

How to not pay for incoming text messages

Anyone know if it is possible to disable outgoing text messaging yet still be able to recieve incoming text messages without paying? I used to get incoming text messages free but would get charged for outgoing. This is no longer the case and somewhere along the line they started charging me for incoming text messages. I called and asked them to keep me from paying for incoming text and they said all they can do is disable it completly.

Now I can't send and can't recieve.

Phone
    Apple iPhone 3G S
    Carrier
    at&t Mobility
    Feedback Score
    No there's no way.

Phone
    Motorola VE20; Blackberry Tour 9630, Pearl 8120
    Carriers
    U.S. Cellular
    Feedback Score
    you could add a messaging package. if you stay under you won't pay overage
    Use what works for you!

I have too many phones, with too many carriers. This is not a good thing.
    The Fleet:
    Blackberry 8100, 8120, 9630
    Motorola: V60t, V120x, StarTac 7787, T731c, V551, V810, V3m, Z6m, Q
    Nokia: 8260, 6161i, 3100b, 3220b, 8860, 3585, 6101, 6200, 6820, 6230b, 5300
    LG: VX4400, VX6000, VX10, VX2000, UX565
    Kyocera 2235
    Sony-Ericsson T637
    Samsung SCH-a670, SGH-T219
    HTC Dash

Phone
    a920
    Carrier
    Sprint CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by forcedfx
    Anyone know if it is possible to disable outgoing text messaging yet still be able to recieve incoming text messages without paying? I used to get incoming text messages free but would get charged for outgoing. This is no longer the case and somewhere along the line they started charging me for incoming text messages. I called and asked them to keep me from paying for incoming text and they said all they can do is disable it completly.

Now I can't send and can't recieve.
    Yes, If you get someone that knows what they are doing they can restrict just outgoing sms in Snooper.

Phone
    Motorola V400
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLVORacr
    Yes, If you get someone that knows what they are doing they can restrict just outgoing sms in Snooper.
    Please tell me more. I don't really need to restrict the outgoing. I basically just want incoming text messages without having to pay for it and am willing to not have the ability to send outgoing. It's total BS that I've been their customer for I can't even remember how many years and they took it away.

My goal is/was to have my server forward my emails in the form of a short text message to my phone. But it looks like unless I'm willing to pay for a media package that won't be happening.

Phone
    a920
    Carrier
    Sprint CDMA
    Feedback Score
    Please tell me more. I don't really need to restrict the outgoing. I basically just want incoming text messages without having to pay for it and am willing to not have the ability to send outgoing. It's total BS that I've been their customer for I can't even remember how many years and they took it away.

My goal is/was to have my server forward my emails in the form of a short text message to my phone. But it looks like unless I'm willing to pay for a media package that won't be happening.
    Unfortunately incoming are charged, can't really do anything about that.

Depending what your email service is, an app was just put out by Cingular that you can use to check your email on your phone. When you get a email Cingular sends you a free message letting you know you have a voicemail. That however will cost data. Currently only works with yahoo!, msn, and AOL soon.

http://www-xl.cingularextras.com/fue...dc=0&openCats=

It's free for the app.

Phones
    iPhone
    No other phones needed!
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    recently switched from an att phone to a cingular phone?
    Ok, and!?

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    It can be done.

My company negotiated free incoming SMS for all their accounts.

My line is still charged for outgoing, but incoming is free.

With that said, by company has somewhere around 10,000 lines, so that them so clout thats not normally available to individuals

Phones
    Motorola L7
    Samsung D357
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    I'm gonna agree with CkZX2.... get a package. $5 for 200 is a good amount of incoming messages for ya

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

I do that all day long, but Text’s are limited by size so I use a php script to break them apart and send multiple messages. But with ATTW incoming are still free, I guess Cingular really needs the money.

BTW; you can set up an email forward to your cell email number.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonix
    I do that all day long, but Text’s are limited by size so I use a php script to break them apart and send multiple messages. But with ATTW incoming are still free, I guess Cingular really needs the money.

BTW; you can set up an email forward to your cell email number.
    I use my email client to do roughly the same thing, except of course most of the email is cut off. One thing I do differently is use Redirect instead of Forward, so that I can reply right back to the person who sent me the email. Nokia phones on TDMA make that very easy.

This is one of the great things about free incoming SMS.

One of the nice bonuses about AT&T's email/SMS gateway is that it usually filters out any redirected SPAM. It's also very quick - on the order of seconds in either direction.

Phones
    BB 8120
    Nokia 6800 (Almost dead)
    Nokia 7610 (Dead)
    Carrier
    TMo
    Feedback Score
    As far as I know with Cingular,

You CANNOT get free incoming SMS (as a personal user). You can either turn off SMS altogether (and not get charged, but you will not receive any messages) or just have to fork out the $0.10 a message. I believe that Alltel and Verizon are going this way too (where they used to give free incoming SMS up to a certain point, like 25 a month) they are cutting back on that if not eliminating it completely.

Phones
    Nokia 8290 (TMO primary and site checker) / 6200 (850 roaming) / 6340i (AT&T PAYG and site checker)
    Nokia 8290 on Simple Mobile (T-Mobile site checker)
    6340i (AT&T site checker) / 6200 backup GSM phone with 850
    Carriers
    Simple Mobile / AT&T PAYG (for backup & checking cell sites) / PagePlus (trial)
    Vodafone NZ / M1 (SIN)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kanscelica
    As far as I know with Cingular,

You CANNOT get free incoming SMS (as a personal user). You can either turn off SMS altogether (and not get charged, but you will not receive any messages) or just have to fork out the $0.10 a message. I believe that Alltel and Verizon are going this way too (where they used to give free incoming SMS up to a certain point, like 25 a month) they are cutting back on that if not eliminating it completely.
    Stock market analysts love to hear the cell carriers making non-voice revenue. SMS revenue is reported as "data", so carriers look better when they can get money from it.

I personally find it intentionally confusing to mix up SMS and websurfing types of revenue, but I'm sure it would be real embarassing for the carriers to break those two out after spending so much on developing "real" data services.

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4 ACTIVE
    Carrier
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by VOLVORacr
    Unfortunately incoming are charged, can't really do anything about that.
    Yep, he's stuck unless he disables SMS completely from his account.
    AT&T LTE Network Hartford, CT Area

Phones
    Future: Nexus Two? :D
    Present: Nexus One
    Past: MyTouch 3G
    Carriers
    T-Mobile (01/07-Present),
    Feedback Score
    What I did was add MEdia Net Basic to my account for 9.99. 200 txts, 40 mms, and I think 1mb WIX. Not too bad considering I was paying 3.99 or so for 200 txts alone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast