Sony Ericsson k790a
    Sony Ericsson z520i
    Nokia N75 (destroyed screen)
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score

Question TMO *228 Equivalent

Hi all-

I'm coming from verizon so im used to all that *228 updating crap....

I was just wondering if there is an equivalent number that does free "software" and PRL updates for TMobile?

This might not even apply for some reason for GSM so just tell me...

Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nave462000
    Hi all-

I was just wondering if there is an equivalent number that does free "software" and PRL updates for TMobile?

Thanks!
    There is no *228 equivalent on GSM. All roaming is controlled by the tower, not the phone (like on CDMA or TDMA). You will occasionally get OTA updates, but as far as roaming, it is controlled by the tower.

HTH,

Phones
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Sony Ericsson z520i
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    So then how do i get Over the air [ota] updates? Do i have to call a number or is that like when i had them send the data settings to my phone from their website and its basically a text message with settings that are automatically applied?

hope that made sense....

thanks

Phones
    Samsung e730
    Motorola Black Razr
    T-mobile Sidekick II
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    just shut up already.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson k790a
    Sony Ericsson z520i
    Carriers
    AT&T Mobility
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by geenious
    just shut up already.
    Who the hell does that help?

Honestly, if your too big of an idiot to give a REAL response, why the hell would you even answer....I mean seriously, who the hell are you helping here? are you trying to make yourself feel better because your inadequate in some way? What the **** is up with u?

People like you are why online forums suck.

Carriers
    ·T···Mobile·
    Feedback Score
    So then how do i get Over the air [ota] updates? Do i have to call a number or is that like when i had them send the data settings to my phone from their website and its basically a text message with settings that are automatically applied?

hope that made sense....

thanks
    OTA updates pretty much affect the sim. It can be used to send updates to the preffered networks or sometimes used by t-mobile to add contacts to the phone book. (if you use my.t-mobile.com to add people to your address book or occasionlly adds 411 in your contacts.)

Preffered networks is not who you can and cannot roam. Just which ones you have higher priority vs others. (who it looks for first, if im getting this right..)

Feedback Score

hope that made sense....

thanks
    The OTA updates come automatically. The phone automatically stores the new settings on the SIM.

Feedback Score
    ...wow, this thread reminded me why GSM is so great sometimes...

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Nokia 6230
    Carriers
    Alltel via Verizon
    Feedback Score
    to actually answer your question, GSM phones are VERY reliant on the SIM as far as network programming, roaming, etc. almost all of it is done automatically, downloaded and installed on the SIM with no user input (besides sometimes seeing "weird" OTA-OK SMS messages from 904, 561, etc. You wont need to do anything. If you do, t-mobile (or whoever) will usually let you know via SMS, or billing stuffer.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you are reading this in English, thank a Veteran.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

hope that made sense....

thanks
    You can get data settings here:

https://secure.mouse2mobile.com/clie...S/ota_support/

As for the rest, you dont need any additional updates. Once you sign up for service they send an OTA update to your handset and will automatically do it again if at some time in the future you need it.

As of this time there are no software updates available over the air, only SIM updates, but that is not anything you need to worry about, it'll happen on its own.
    Dan
    TX, USA

Phones
    SE K850i, W580i, SE K790i, SE W810i, Samsung D600E, BlackBerry 7100t, Nokia 7710
    Sharp 903SH, SE K750i/W800, SE V800/Z800
    Nokia 6230, SE T610, SE T68i, SE T39m
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hominid7
    I wish the settings from that site weren't locked. I wouldn't mind that they're locked, but the names of the profiles are so generic and I have so many profiles on my phone, seeing "PictureMessaging" isn't too helpful when distinguishing between six providers worth of settings.

I just program them manually. The WAP profile couldn't be easier, just remember wap.voicestream.com (seriously when are they going to use tmobile.com) and you're good to go for WAP. MMS is a bit more tricky.

I added the settings to Applepedia for quick reference. http://applepedia.com/T-Mobile_USA

I don't like hunting around to find that stuff.

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mroach
    wap.voicestream.com (seriously when are they going to use tmobile.com)
    My guess is "never". Changing APN names is difficult to do since they have to be put so many places in the network. It's kinda like when I changed the name of one of my servers (when it moved to another provider) and had to update several dozen scripts...it's best avoided.

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Hi all-

For the most part, it doesn't. Roaming in GSM is controlled more by the network than the phone; the network determines whether an individual phone can register on a tower or not based on the SIM (IMSI) in the phone and what roaming privileges the home carrier has set up for that SIM. That's quite unlike ANSI-41-based -- that is, non-GSM -- networks, where the same function is based largely on customers' phone numbers and where phone-based lists such as IRDBs (TDMA) and PRLs (CDMA) tend to be used to restrict/flag roaming based on a customer's plan.

While SIMs store a basic network preference list, there's a lot less to them than CDMA PRLs...about all T-Mobile's current preference list (as OTA'd to my phone recently) does is to prefer a handful of domestic carriers (SunCom, WW/Alltel, WVW) over Cingular and prefer T-Mobile networks in other countries over other networks in those countries. On a lot of phones, especially Motos, you can view and edit the preference list yourself. I can think of a few cases where editing the pref list can be helpful (getting EDGE back in the Carolinas, for instance), but in most cases it isn't needed.

-SC

Phones
    SE K850i, W580i, SE K790i, SE W810i, Samsung D600E, BlackBerry 7100t, Nokia 7710
    Sharp 903SH, SE K750i/W800, SE V800/Z800
    Nokia 6230, SE T610, SE T68i, SE T39m
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1
    My guess is "never". Changing APN names is difficult to do since they have to be put so many places in the network. It's kinda like when I changed the name of one of my servers (when it moved to another provider) and had to update several dozen scripts...it's best avoided.

-SC
    They could add a DNS entry for tmobile.com and use that on new devices and deprecate voicestream.com.

Phones
    Samsung t509
    T-Mo MDA
    Sidekick II
    Carrier
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by roamer1

-SC

In addition to that there are roaming and international roam implications to changing the name of the APN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast