Thread: Map of US Cellular towers?

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score

Map of US Cellular towers?

Hi everyone,
    Just wondering if anyone knows of a map or site to see where all the US cellular towers are in my area. I came across something like that one night but now I can't find that link . . .
    There's are a pair of towers in my neighborhood, about 4 blocks from work and 5 blocks from home . . . if I knew it was a USCC "hot spot" I'd have no doubt that my coverage would be fine. My reception with AT&T improved from spotty to perfect when the towers went up, but Cingular has changed something and my reception has been horrible for about 5 weeks (TDMA).
    Thanks!

Phones
    Nokia 6255i
    FINALLY!!!!!
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score
    I think there is a link somewhere on this forum, it has been a while

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    there is a coverage map on the USC site, Most of the engineering maps I've seen aren't too clear. I work not far from where you are, and I can guarantee that in Chi town you won't find anybody with better service than us.
    D

Phones
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Old: S3, Electrify, Desire, 8330, Krazr
    Carrier
    US Cellular
    Feedback Score

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The only reliable one would be the engineering maps on the FCC's Universal Licensing System site. They don't usually show microcells, but the better majority of the towers are there.

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, everyone! I've seen that site before-- my local towers are missing completely. Wish it said who;s cell is on the tower.
    Quote Originally Posted by AndThenScottSays...
    The only reliable one would be the engineering maps on the FCC's Universal Licensing System site. They don't usually show microcells, but the better majority of the towers are there.
    Do you know if that's something I can access?

Drano, you seem to have a high opinion of US Cellular! Where do you work exactly? Have you used your phone near Western and Cermak?

Phone
    Sanyo Incognito
    Carriers
    Boost Mobile
    Feedback Score
    That site explains a LOT about why we can't get much signal (if any) in the area we are looking at homes in.

UGh.

Lovellbrid

Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Chicagoguy2 check your PMs

Carrier
    Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lovellbird
    That site explains a LOT about why we can't get much signal (if any) in the area we are looking at homes in.

UGh.

Lovellbrid
    There are a few towers that I look at day in and day out that aren't on that map.
    I think it's probably safe to say that not all the towers in your area show up there either.

I came across a site one night where you can search by location and see reports from various people describing their cellular reception. I actually saw a few reports from my own little neioghborhood (although they were pretty old) If I bookmarked it it's locked away on my laptop at home . . .

Phone
    Apple iPhone 5
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoguy2
    Thanks, everyone! I've seen that site before-- my local towers are missing completely. Wish it said who;s cell is on the tower.

Do you know if that's something I can access?

Drano, you seem to have a high opinion of US Cellular! Where do you work exactly? Have you used your phone near Western and Cermak?
    Yes you can access it... anyone can...
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls

Phone
    Kyocera
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicagoguy2
    I think it's probably safe to say that not all the towers in your area show up there either.
    It's absolutely correct to say that. Not all towers are registered with the FCC, and VERY FEW rooftop or water tank sites. So, no, the FCC site is NOT a good place to check out reception in most areas. In cities it's pretty useless. In rural areas, probably fairly accurate. Any tower of 200' or more must be registered, and very rural areas often have 250' or more towers, so you get a better hit ratio in rural areas.

Sometimes. If I'm designing a network and decide I need a 200' tower, guaranteed I'm going to get a 195' tower, because that will (in most cases) eliminate the need to do an FAA and FCC registration, which takes time, and will usually do away with any lighting requirements, which saves money and local objections. Seriously - one big question we get from zoning boards is about lighting. People hate it.

So, drop the tower height by 5 feet and save a ton of hassle. That's a battle that the site aq people will win against an RF engineer every time.