Thread: WPA-PSK TKIP vs. WPA-PSK AES

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

WPA-PSK TKIP vs. WPA-PSK AES

Hopefully there's some networking gurus in here.. I'm just curious what you guys use? From what I've been able to gather from reading online, TKIP and AES are decently secure [in comparison to WEP] but TKIP is software driven and AES is hardware driven.

I have a Super-G Netgear WGT624 router which I'm gonna return to Costco [if they don't take it back I'm trashing it] because all of a sudden it stopped accepting connections..even after power cycling it and what not. In addition, for some reason during a network scan, the router would show up as 'unsecured wireless network' then change to 'security enabled wireless network' then change to 'security enabled wireless network (WPA)" with no rhyme or reason. I wasn't too comfortable with that because it seems like the router is defective. I think it started after a firmware upgrade, not too sure.

I bought a Motorola WR850G router for $20 (and no dumb rebates to worry about) and this thing is awesome. I bought it before for others when I setup their networks and it was really easy to get up and running - and so naturally I got one for myself after mine crapped out. The Moto seems faster, web interface is easy to use like the Netgear and it supports WPA-PSK AES.

My setup is: cable modem > Linksys wired router/firewall >> PC and Moto wireless router
    Castrol EDGE 5W-30 is my drug of choice.

Primary: iPhone 6 64GB, Lumia 635, & LG L90: 5 lines, 1x $15 5GB data, 2x $5 Android web, 1x $2.99 T-Zones, corp discount + $10/mo loyalty discount = $93/mo tax inclusive
    Secondary: iPhone 4S & Optimus Dynamic II: TracFone (Verizon); LG Mach: RingPlus (Sprint)
    Tablet: iPad Mini Retina w/ T-Mobile 4G LTE

Phone
    Motorola i870
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    I've honestly never messed with the encryption, WEP or WPA....my router has an access list where I can define what computer is allowed to access it wirelessly....if the computer ain't on the list, then it don't get through. Easy enough.

Phone
    iPhone 6
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Imari
    I've honestly never messed with the encryption, WEP or WPA....my router has an access list where I can define what computer is allowed to access it wirelessly....if the computer ain't on the list, then it don't get through. Easy enough.
    MAC Address filtering can be compromised by someone diligent enough. I personally use that along with WPA-PSK AES.

Phone
    Motorola i870
    Carrier
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by frail
    MAC Address filtering can be compromised by someone diligent enough. I personally use that along with WPA-PSK AES.
    Yeah, but in the area I live in, I really don't think there is anybody around with that kinda skillz....

Phones
    nokia 6310i
    nokia 3595
    Carriers
    fido.ca
    Feedback Score
    I would use AES if my gear supported it. But it doesn't so I use TKIP. No worries. I'm secure enough. One of my neighbours have no security so he would be targetted first .

Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'll have to setup MAC address filtering on the new router, haven't done that. All I did thus far was setup WPA-PSK AES and disabled SSID broadcast.

Does WPA-PSK AES = WPA2? Just curious..