Thread: My Jabra SP500 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Jabra SP500 review:

I have used the Jabra SP500 for about 2 weeks now and wanted to put up this review about the product.

http://www.jabra.com/JabraCMS/NA/EN/...JabraSP500.htm

This marks the first non headset review I've done, as it's clearly not a headset. However, with some interest in the product i decided to try it out and see if it would be a viable alternative to a hard install BT car kit. at $149.99 MSRP it just may be.

First and foremost, this is a big unit. If any of you remember or tried Motorola's HF the jabra SP500 is considerably larger then the Motorola HF800. However, this size brings some key features to the table. I dont have a HF800 available, but here's a shot with the SP500, new jabra BT500 and razr for comparison

MIC sensitivity
    The Mic itself has 2 specific modes. Boom or dicectional, and office mode
    it also features AGC, automatic gain controll.

boom/directional

the unit powers on in this mode by default. This is where the boom mic should be positioned in a way that it's facing the cell phone user, of course, since it's a directional mike. Generally, you'll want to posizion the unit on a visor or window using the inculded metal clip or suction base, seen later on in the contents shot

the Status light will flash once every 4/5 seconds to signify boom/directional mode

Office mode

this mode is accessed by pressing, and holding down mute for 5 seconds. you will hear a "beep" and the indicator light will flash twice every 4/5 seconds to signify you're in office mode.

the point behind office mode is that it increases it's envelope of sensitivity so that people sitting in front of the unit can all talk or be in a conference call. It's important to have the unit in front of everyone though, so sitting around the unit in a circular table won't cut it. You'd have to put the unit at the end of the table to get everyone.

Truth be told, I really can't see much of a difference in either mode except in the car where directional mode seems to work better. This is most likely because of the background din of the car driving etc etc etc.

box contents

The packaging contains:
    the Unit
    Metal sunvisor clip
    Metal suction cup clip
    CLA

a nice touch is the CLA, since you can leave the unit in the car and top it up occasionally with the CLA, although myself I just bring the unit in the house/office and charge it off the home plug.

battery life
    The biggest strenght of this unit is it's 2000mah batteries. Youll get a ridiculous amount of talk time, up to 20 hours! I could easily burn the batteries of my phone before this beast would even begin to complain.

Standby time is equally as ridiculously long, it claims 480 hours. Yes, 20 days. I didn't have it that long to actually verify, but judging by it's talktime, i'm sure it'd hit it's claims so you could easily leave this in your car for a week at a time between charges (turning unit off when you leave car, of course)

Additional features
    The SP500 has a whole slew of enhanced features, depending of course on if your phone supports the enhanced headset mode, which most these days do. Answering/ending calls is done easily by a single press of the large button.

Muting is done by a single press and hold of the dedicated mute button until you hear a beep. The status light will illuminate orage indicating you're in mute. To unmute you quicky press the mute button one time and it'll go back to normal with a blue flashing light.

enhanced features
    as with most jabra products, the unit supports quite a few nice features.
    these features are:

Last # redial: press and hold call button. 2 beeps and let go
    Rejecting calls: press and hold cal lbutton, 2 beeps, caller gone
    Call waiting: press and hold call button, 2 beeps, caller switched
    hold: press and hold call button, 2 beeps, caller on hold

PROS:
    *Excellent battery life
    *excellent build quality
    *Good volume on speaker
    *good sensivity on the MIC
    *good call handling

CONS
    large size
    sound quality is hollow

Device(s)
    HTC Dream
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Good review - I have no use for such a thing but I can see how it would be very handy. I especially love the dedicated "office" setting.

Device(s)
    7100r
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the review Treatz, I look forward to seeing your review on the BT500.

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Have you tried using it as an external speaker for MP3 or Video playback on a Better phone than the V3 ?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie
    Have you tried using it as an external speaker for MP3 or Video playback on a Better phone than the V3 ?
    I used it with the S710a.
    I don't understand your question

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    I'm looking for something to listen to MP3s ,Videos, Virtual Radio & MobiTV playing back off of my 6620 .
    I assumed you paired it with the RZr being that its in the Photo (for comparison).

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie
    I'm looking for something to listen to MP3s ,Videos, Virtual Radio & MobiTV playing back off of my 6620 .
    I assumed you paired it with the RZr being that its in the Photo (for comparison).
    No I paired it with the S710a. Which is what i used to take the pics.