Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: W600: A first look

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

W600: A first look

http://www.howardchui.com/modules.ph...icle&artid=222

I have had the pleasure of using pre release version of the W600.
    this is a beta unit, as such, take this first look as just that. A glimpse of what might be when the W600 production unit launches.

First Impressions:
    First and foremost, being an S710a user myself the first thing that strikes me with the W600 is it's size. It's clearly smaller then the S710a. While the consensus is the S710a is a "big" phone, i myself never found it to be large considering it's pretty much identical to the V635 in width and height because of the V635's stub antenna. The W600 is a much smaller looking package and it's style is love it or leave it. I myself love it. the Orange rubbery removable face plates to the loop quadband antenna.

Comparing the W600 directly to the S710a you will notice size differences.
    Here are a few pics for such comparisons.

Keypad
    The keypad on the W600, while still not exactly there yet, is light years better then the S710a I find. The buttons themselves are lit Orange in going with the walkman theme, and prvide a reasonable enough click and feedback when pressed.

What I really like on the keypad of the W600 is that SE moved the power and wap buttons elsewhere only leaving the Numeric pad. No more accidental wap launches or power downs on the W600

The top portion of the swivel is also good.
    I find the "d pad" design on the W600 easier to use then the joystick/Dpad design of the S710a. Although the buttons are smaller then the S710a, the W600's buttons provide more travel and "click". As such, I find the W600's answer/end buttons etc easier to use

Camera
    the W600 also features a 1.3 mpix camera on the back of the unit and has a flash that actually increases it's brightness prior to the shot being taken. The S710a has a light that remains constant and doesn't burst. Because it's a beta unit I can't comment to much on picture quality. I find them good enough for a camera phone and have included a shot for your viewing pleasure. Once the retail units are out I will run a W600 through it's paces.

I call this shot, Man who wants SEEG, but watches from sideline.

Connectivity
    the name SonyEricsson carries some serious weight in the connectivity department, and the W600 doesn't let down.
    Quadband, Bluetooth, IR, cable, Class 10 EDGE. It's all invited to the party

cable
    Even in it's beta form, i was provided with the data cable which allows you to transfer songs to and from the unit. I assume that this same cable will also function as a connecvitity cable since you have to connect the cable, then go into settings/connectivity/USB and select "file transfer" to have the unit be recognised as a virtual drive to move songs onto the unit.

Bluetooth 1.2
    Yes, that's right kids. The W600 is a 1.2 unit.
    being bluetooth 1.2 you are able to take advantage of newer headsets that are also 1.2 and get frequency hopping, bettter battery life and clearer sound.

what I like about bluetooth 1.2 is multiple connections.
    with 1.2 you can leave your headset connected and still send a MP3/Pic/theme etc etc etc to a PC or other BT user. No more "hold on, let me drop my headset" or "hold on, gotta drop the PC connection" with 1.2 units. As such I was easily able to leave my Jabra BT500 connected to the W600 and send over the "Man who wants SEEG, but watches from sideline" picture above in the Camera portion

IR
    IF cable and Bluetooth weren't enough you have IR making it the trinity of connectivity.
    IR is also fully implemented the unit as well since under the "send" commands you're prompted with:
    *As email
    *Via bluetooth
    *Via infrared

for those who need the utmost in connectivity, SE delivers as usual.

Screen
    The screen on the W600 is a 176x220 unit which is a 262k unit.
    the screen is good, provides rich colour and does what it's supposed to do.
    however, going from a S710a screen at 240x320 there is a definate difference.
    However, with the Size and the new things the W600 brings to the table I'm not that worried.

New additions
    a few things I've noticed that have changed for the better
    while they're not guaranteed to be around when the retail W600 launches, i see no reason for them to disappear

*Background SMS sending: no longer have to sit and wait at that "sending...." screen like on the S710a
    *ability to select multiple SMS recepients: by "marking" them one at a time similar to motorola. the W600 still supports groups to so you can set up predetermined lists of people you SMS for specific reasons.
    I myself have a "huartz" list for which I drop 1 single sms to about 15 people to see if any are around and wanna meet up for coffee.
    *Mic position not flush to front anymore:.. no more cheek rubbing noise
    *huge increase in battery life night and day so far with my S710a
    *earpiece and ringvolume is nice and Loud.
    *Custom MP3 sms tones
    *Gaming buttons: top of phone beside earpiece are 2 buttons used for games so you can hold the phone like a gameboy. They can also be used to light up the dark standby screen

thsese are the few things I've noticed in the few days I have had the W600
    a lot of these things are carry over from K750 as well.

RF
    Being a beta unit i wasn't very harsh on this unit.
    however, i'm quite happy to report it works well and didn't disappoint me
    I am looking forward to the retail unit

Sound
    The unit is loud
    Loud clear earpiece
    Loug clear ringtones
    Loud clear MP3 song playback.

it's a great unit for volume and had me impressed, truth be told.

Walkman
    Of course, it's no secret the W600 is a walkman branded product.
    As such, it has a dedicated walkman button on the front as well as a dedicated play button on the top left side. This gives you easy access to all your tracks.

The layout of the walkman SW is quite straightforward allowing you to set up playlists or select single songs by album or single track. The walkman SW is quite good considering it's still beta and can be minimized while songs are being played as well.

When you first press the dedicated Walkman button from the standby screen you are prompted with

From there you have several options:

You can browse by artist:

or by individual tracks:

or by a playlist which you can setup:

and for good measure SE throws in Video so you can watch them while in the Walkman menu system

The W600 also has a few tweaks for sound:

you have your standard shuffle/repeat:

And of course, an equalizer for optimal sound:

Truth be told, the actual volume on the W600's loudspeaker is quite nice.
    all throughout the Hofo Meet on the 30th that TelecomZombie set up, hofo`ers were all heard saying "wow, this is quite loud" and various versions of that sentence.

SE also provides headphones as well. The stock units are pretty good though. I will admit, i'm not exactly an audiophile so to me it was acceptable.
    The headphones are the kind that fit into the ear canal so some may not like this. No worries though as you just swap em out for any standard set.

Final thoughts
    In closing, with all the new little SW tweaks SE has added to an already solid SE UI platform the W600 will be one great little phone. it's already shaping up to be the replacement to my S710a.

SE just seems to listen to the customers.
    a while ago people complained that you can't set SMS tones as personal MP3's.. now you can. they didn't have the ability to mark sms recepients creating big lists on the fly, now they do. It just seems that with every new SE product they move forward with the brand and the quality of features they bring to the table.
    Last edited by Treatz; 11-09-2005 at 11:56 PM.

Feedback Score
    WOW. great preview, Treatz. Great pictures!

Device(s)
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    Sweden Telia -
    Feedback Score
    whats the different between w550 and 600?

Funny Pictures Blog - Funny pics, crazy videos and fun

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    whats the different between w550 and 600?
    triband euro vs quadband world

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS 32GB
    Carrier(s)
    ATTingular Orange Circle.
    Feedback Score

Carrier(s)
    Rogers (& Telus, but waiting for number portability)
    Feedback Score
    It's a Walkman phone, but you didn't even mention how the walkman features perform.

How is the sound quality? Playlists? Random? Sort by Artist? Track title?

How is playback through the 3 built in loudspeakers?

How is the FM Radio? Good reception? Presets? Autoscanning?

Also the S710a only allows 4 shortcuts where the W800 (and many other newer SE's) has a "More shortcuts" option. Please tell me that the W600 also has that option.

Overall good mini review, I look forward to seeing the full one.

Device(s)
    Nokia N95-4,HTC Touch, HTC S621, NOKIA E65, Nokia E61, Audiovox SMT5600, Nokia 6682
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Is the Camera using CCD sensor or CMOS?

Device(s)
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    wow, everything looked great until the picture with the screens, haha. Any word on how much this'll cost?

Carrier(s)
    Vodafone UK
    Feedback Score
    Excellent!! Do the W550 look physcially the same as the W600? Obivously internally it's probably different since the w600 is quad.

Device(s)
    NEC
    Carrier(s)
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    treatz, thanks for the preview. I have a question on mp3 playback. On the S710a when playback first starts and during track change there is a loud "click" noise which is very noticeable when you hook the phone to speakers. Does the same click noise exist on W600i?

Device(s)
    T-mobile G1
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    did it have the netfront browser on it? how did that perform?

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (The Elite: Nokia6682/2.0 (3.01.1) SymbianOS/8.0 Series60/2.6 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Yeah, I was playing with one last week and was most impressed by the excellent loudspeaker and sound quality. The unit also comes with a decent set of headphones if the 2 external loud speakers are disturbing everyone else. I also love sony's UI and consider it the most capable brand to get me off Nokia. I'm considering getting one for tha wifey this year but she thinks it's ugly
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Device(s)
    HTC
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    anyone know about the price of it?

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Wirelessly posted (SonyEricssonW600i/R7B Browser/NetFront/3.3 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Chillin
    It's a Walkman phone, but you didn't even mention how the walkman features perform.

How is the sound quality? Playlists? Random? Sort by Artist? Track title?

How is playback through the 3 built in loudspeakers?

How is the FM Radio? Good reception? Presets? Autoscanning?

Also the S710a only allows 4 shortcuts where the W800 (and many other newer SE's) has a "More shortcuts" option. Please tell me that the W600 also has that option.

Overall good mini review, I look forward to seeing the full one.
    I didn't have time. I will be ammending it later tonight as i had to go to meet

Feedback Score
    Treatz gave us the opportunity to have hands on with this beta unit at the meet tonight...it was everything he said in his review/preview.

Pro to Rogers, i think some of you guys might want this phone.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast