Thread: e815 mpt link with stock XPSP2 BT?

Device(s)
    e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

e815 mpt link with stock XPSP2 BT?

Folks,
    I'm trying to get MPT to work on my e815, with absolutely no success. I've looked through the guides here, on nuclear elephant, on inetron, and on Mark Venture's site. Every single one of them assumes widcomm BT stack. Of course, I have an IBM thinkpad T40p with integrated BT, and it uses the stock XP BT stack. Mark Venture's site apparently used to have the widcomm BT stack for download, but had to take it down due to broadcom's request.

When MPT goes to set up my phone, it jumps me over to the XP bluetooth device setup. I can locate my phone and set up the key exchange with it, but it never adds a bluetooth modem device. So my phone apparently links but doesnt pair.... I dont know, this is all new to me.

I called MPT support, they told me to call verizon. I called verizon, they told me to talk to motorola. I'm getting really frustrated here. Can anyone help?

--Ikarius

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikarius
    ...Mark Venture's site apparently used to have the widcomm BT stack for download, but had to take it down due to broadcom's request.
    Actually, my site NEVER had the Widcomm drivers available for download... Could you be thinking of Jon's Guides who used to have a link to the Widcomm drivers, and a License patch/hack... but had to take them down at Broadcom's request?

As I have said many times in threads here (and is on my equipment page)...
    *The Widcomm software is tied to hardware via device serial number. Due to this, you can only use the software that comes with your dongle or has been provided by the hardware manufacturer's web site.....
    As for your T40p... visit... http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...cid=MIGR-50245

That is actually the Widcomm v1.4.34 software/drivers repackaged for IBM (so once installed they will not say Widcomm, but rather IBM Integrated Bluetooth, that is the ONLY difference. Once you download/unpack, take a look at C:\drivers\WIN\BDCACT\btwusb.inf, assuming that is where you unpacked them to, you will see its Widcomm). Install it. Note: Downloading and running bthwxp1o.exe only EXTRACTS the installer to the HD (usually C:\drivers\WIN\BDCACT) you must install by then running the SETUP.EXE in that folder... Make sure you follow the install instructions on the download page... Those steps should be good to get your dongle to use the Widcomm Drivers rather than the XP SP2 BT drivers...

On a factory pre-loaded system, those drivers should already be installled. If your system came with XP SP1 or less, and you later installed SP2 yourself, then SP2's driver may have just taken over... See if you have two bluetooth icons in the system tray... Or check Add/Remove programs to see if the IBM Bluetooth software is already installed...

An additional references once you get the IBM Integrated Bluetooth (WIDCOMM) drivers installed -> http://www.bvrp.com/customers/motorola/XPsp2_and_BT.pdf as well as http://www.v710.org/mark/Files/Widcomm3_QIG.pdf (start on page 11 where it says 2. Switching from Microsoft Driver to WIDCOMM)
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-09-2005 at 07:44 AM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you, thank you, thank you, THANK YOU!

That will almost certainly make things work as documented in the various cookbooks! My apologies for getting it confused and thinking your site was the one that had the widcomm drivers up.

As far as bluetoooth stacks go, I had a hard drive die in the last year, and when they shipped me recovery tools, the CDs installed XP with service pack 2 pre-installed, so I dont have any trace of widcomm on my system.

Thanks
    Ikarius

Device(s)
    V750
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This one needs to be tacked onto a faq. It's no big issue of you buy a dongle, those come with the drivers but in the case of a mac or ibm built in it could be grounds for pulling hair out...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rjpierson
    This one needs to be tacked onto a faq. It's no big issue of you buy a dongle, those come with the drivers but in the case of a mac or ibm built in it could be grounds for pulling hair out...
    Actually it could be an issue for those purchasing a dongle, as NOT ALL USB BT Dongles come with/use Widcomm...

So, for those who have Bluesoliel drivers, the install/pairing process is different and that can cause people to pull their hair out when it comes to MPT and in teh case of the E815 OBEX File Transfers...

Not to mention, if you have WinXP SP2 and it takes over the bluetooth dongle, and you use Bluesoliel... its a different process to switch from the XP SP2 drivers to the Bluesoliel drivers...

Sorry, I don't have a dongle that comes with or uses Bluesoliel drivers, so I can't write something up about it...
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 11-09-2005 at 12:32 PM.

Device(s)
    e815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Figured I'd update you- ran the IBM(widcomm) driver install, ran the bvrp driver fix to kick out the XP SP2 stack, and now all the instructions are working like a charm! Once again, thank you so much!

Oh, and I concur with adding this to an FAQ- perhaps a section on where to get widcomm stacks for various common hardware? I did search IBM's site for widcomm, should have known they'd have the stuff relabled and ought to really have searched for bluetooth.

Cheers
    Ikarius
    Last edited by Ikarius; 11-09-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Figured I'd update you- ran the IBM(widcomm) driver install, ran the bvrp driver fix to kick out the XP SP2 stack, and now all the instructions are working like a charm! Once again, thank you so much!
    Glad you got it working

Oh, and I concur with adding this to an FAQ- perhaps a section on where to get widcomm stacks for various common hardware? I did search IBM's site for widcomm, should have known they'd have the stuff relabled and ought to really have searched for bluetooth.
    Problem is a little too complex for this...

For example... Belkin, TDK, D-Link, Ambicom, Billionton, Zonet, IBM, some Dell, some HP's and others all use Widcomm drivers... various versions... BUT you can NOT interchange them due to licensing... i.e. If you buy a Belkin that uses Widcomm 1.4.2.10, and a TDK that also uses 1.4.2.10, you must use the Belkin drivers with the belkin dongle and the TDK drivers with the TDK dongle.... this is due to the Widcomm drivers being licensed to the hardware address of the bluetooth device... If you install the Belkin Widcomm 1.4.2.10 and use a TDK dongle (even one that TDK shipped with Widcomm 1.4.2.10 drivers)... the license file that comes with the Belkin drivers wont have the hardware address of the TDK device so you'll get an error from the Widcomm stack and it wont work.

Same holds true if you got a Belkin dongle that came with Widcomm 1.4.2.10 and you see HP is shipping Widcomm (now broadcom) v4.0 drivers... you can't use the HP drivers with your Belkin dongle and "upgrade."

Now, there is a license hack out there to get around this.. but I'm not going to post where to get it, how to use it, etc...

Device(s)
    BB 8310
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    In case someone else has a question about this, this site worked well for me with my Lenovo T41: http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/manual.html

Finally Camera back - 8310
    Loved - 8800
    LG VX8600 - Sold
    Tried out XV6700 for 14 Days - Loved it!! Returned it
    E815 - Sold

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by moodyj
    In case someone else has a question about this, this site worked well for me with my Lenovo T41: http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/manual.html
    Yep.. That is because Jon's Guides deals with Widcomm which is what IBM uses for drivers (however it is rebadged as IBM Integrated Bluetooth)...

Btw, I have had a link to Jon's Guides on my PC Bluetooth page for some time now.