Thread: Is there any way to block "Unavailable" calls from ringing on my line?

Phones
    HTC One M8
    HTC One M8 (Sprint)
    iPhone 5s (CBeyond)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Is there any way to block "Unavailable" calls from ringing on my line?

Hey All;

I'm having an odd issue; a couple weeks ago I started getting calls on my phone for someone else; I think it's someone's bill collectors since I chew them out for continueing to call this number, they either say "thank you, have a nice day", or repeat asking if the person is there. If I ask them who they are affiliated with they ask me if the person is there, and then hang up when I tell them "I told you there is no one with such a name here"... of course they can barely speak english. The ******s also hang up if I demand to speak to their supervisor. I've been almost ready to tell them that yes, I am the person to find out who the hell the company is, but if I do that, then they think they have him, and I'm sure will never stop.

I'm assuming either someone put in the wrong phone number on an account they opened, someone used a fake number (which turned out to be mine) to open an account, or it's whoever had my number from before I had Sprint--we're talking before early 2001.

I'm trying to get all "Unavailable" calls rejected at the switch from Sprint (I don't answer unavailable calls anyway). I know it can be done on landlines here. If there is no caller ID data, it just does not ring through (or they get an error), and if it is Private they get a recording saying to hit *82 to enable caller ID. Sprint offered to change my number... I don't think so (I have a *very* easy to remember number).

I also have a Treo 650... is there a 3rd party app that might do this for me? I'm getting sick of hitting ignore every couple hours.

--Nat
    Last edited by NGeorge; 11-11-2005 at 04:30 PM.

Phones
    LG CU500
    AT&T - For Ever Baby!!
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Nomally all you have to do is change the ringtones settings, but I am not familiar at all with the 650 as far as its settings..

Phone
    HTC Hero
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    here's a thought, have you tried saying yes you are the person they are looking for. Once they give you the information about who they are and what they are calling about, you can easily get a customer service number to call and correct the problem.....
    been there done that.
    Tony

Phones
    Samsung A900
    PPC 6700
    Blackberry 8703
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyy1
    here's a thought, have you tried saying yes you are the person they are looking for. Once they give you the information about who they are and what they are calling about, you can easily get a customer service number to call and correct the problem.....
    been there done that.
    Tony
    You cannot technically block there number, unless you file a harassment claim, and have a police report. That is what I was told about a year ago when I was having this same problem.

HOWEVER
    There are some solutions for you here.
    Download a "Silent Ringer" its just a 10 second clip of Nothing. Then save that number in your phone as IGNORE, and assign the silent ringer to it.

The other thing is maybe the Call Back Tones on the sprint site have some sort of ignore one that you can assign to that number like.....The caller you are trying to reach has chosen to ignore all calls from this number. THEY WOULD MAKE A MINT if that was added.

Carriers
    AT&T,
    Feedback Score
    ....and combined that ignore function with a time-of-day setting, apply a CSV of all my inlaw numbers...hey, its the cure to drunk dialing.

My Sanyo 7400 has a "silient" ring setting built in for people i need to permanently block.

NGeorge: Tell them, flat out "please stop calling me." and "I am aware of my rights within the FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT"

http://www.ftc.gov/os/statutes/fdcpa/fdcpact.htm

Phones
    HTC One M8
    HTC One M8 (Sprint)
    iPhone 5s (CBeyond)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Yup that's what I did--I posted that back last year--I finally had enough of it by about Christmas that finally one time when I felt up to answering it, and the person happened to speak actual english, I told them that they had called MANY times before, each time I told them I did not know who they were trying to contact & to STOP and they didn't.

I told him that I DEMAND they stop as of NOW, and told them that if this was in fact a debt collector I was aware of the Fair Debt Collection Act, that because I demanded they stop they can only contact by mail, and that if they did not stop, I would be referring this to the Attorney General & would have their number tracked down....

Haven't got a call since!

I'm also not sure if the blocking thing has to have a harassment investigation or not--on my parent's line on Qwest if someone calls from a blocked ID they get a message to call back and dial *82 to show it--otherwise it blocks the call. I don't see why they couldn't do this for businesses that do not show a valid number--or why Sprint couldn't offer the same service--I would almost say that because it is a cell phone, I have even more reason to demand that any unavailable/blocked numbers be shown.

--Nat
    Last edited by NGeorge; 09-16-2006 at 06:46 PM.