Thread: Free mobilecast (mobile podcasts) app for the K750i and W800i

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    HTC Desire Z (T-Mobile G2)
    SE k750i, SE T610, SE T300, Nokia 8290 (all destroyed in various ways)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score

Free mobilecast (mobile podcasts) app for the K750i and W800i

So I was surfing the Wikipedia section on Podcasting, and I came across a cool (free) java app that can download podcasts straight to a phone.. "Great!", methinks, and I ran off to the apps's homepage ( http://www.melodeo.com/mobilcast/index.html ) and found out that the K750i was supported. However, now that I've got it loaded up, I find that I can only download the previews, and whenever I try to download a full podcast, the K750 gives me an error along the lines of "Select page is too large to load. Please select another link." I have 16 MB free on my phone, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I am, however, running R1A and I know that SE has made some improvements to the J2ME engine in newer firmware.. Anyone else out there with a K750 or W800 and data access care to give it a shot? (and let me know how it goes )
    -Dn

Phones
    SE P990i
    SE k750i
    SE k700i
    Carrier
    Optimus Telecom
    Feedback Score
    why do you need a java app for that, when you can just copy the mp3 or aac file to the phone, after downloading it to the pc???

that download over the air thing is:

1 - too slow on k750 - lack of umts

2 - too expensive (gprs data charges)

3 - pointless if you have broadband internet in your pc

Phones
    K800i
    iPhone 3GS 32G White (ATT)
    K-750i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by danjayh
    So I was surfing the Wikipedia section on Podcasting, and I came across a cool (free) java app that can download podcasts straight to a phone.. "Great!", methinks, and I ran off to the apps's homepage ( http://www.melodeo.com/mobilcast/index.html ) and found out that the K750i was supported. However, now that I've got it loaded up, I find that I can only download the previews, and whenever I try to download a full podcast, the K750 gives me an error along the lines of "Select page is too large to load. Please select another link." I have 16 MB free on my phone, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. I am, however, running R1A and I know that SE has made some improvements to the J2ME engine in newer firmware.. Anyone else out there with a K750 or W800 and data access care to give it a shot? (and let me know how it goes )
    Danjayh, It worked, cool . I tried the preview but could not hear anything. But, then I downloaded a CNN news about 290 KB and save on memory stick I can listen to it

I have the R1N035 firmware, I do not know if that could make any diff. Thanks for finding mobilcast.

Phones
    iPhone 3GS
    Nokia 5800
    Nokia N95
    Carriers
    Sweden Telia -
    And Flatrate HSPDA / 3G / Edge For $80 / Month
    Feedback Score
    doesnt the k750 and the w800 has a limit of 500-600kb/kb file download trough gprs?

Funny Pictures Blog - Funny pics, crazy videos and fun

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    doesnt the k750 and the w800 has a limit of 500-600kb/kb file download trough gprs?
    I don't know, but I've found that I'm able to get the shorter ones, so I guess it must be something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Spend_too_much_time_by_his_PC
    why do you need a java app for that, when you can just copy the mp3 or aac file to the phone, after downloading it to the pc???

1 - The files are fairly small since they're re-encoded to 3gp .. took me all of 45 seconds to get the CNN podcast

2 - I have unlimited data .. $20/month = not that much money

3 - I'm never home! If I can let it download something while I'm driving down the road or sitting in class, I'm a happy person.

4 - It's cool, cool, cool! If it could download the ^@%#$ larger files it just might be one of my favorite apps for the K750i, just for the 'wow' factor.. Plus I don't have to plan in advance what I want - it downloads a directory to your phone =)

5 - Ummm .. FREE, so why not?

6 - It's really friggin cool .. why else do I have a $500 phone (by the time I add in the cost of my memory stick)

Phones
    K800i
    K-750i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (SE K750i: SonyEricssonK750i/R1N Browser/SEMC-Browser/4.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Quote Originally Posted by Phat^Trance
    I don't know, but I've found that I'm able to get the shorter ones, so I guess it must be something like that..

Quote Originally Posted by Spend_too_much_time_by_his_PC

1 - The files are fairly small since they're re-encoded to 3gp .. took me all of 45 seconds to get the CNN podcast

2 - I have unlimited data .. $20/month = not that much money

3 - I'm never home! If I can let it download something while I'm driving down the road or sitting in class, I'm a happy person.

4 - It's cool, cool, cool! If it could download the ^@%#$ larger files it just might be one of my favorite apps for the K750i, just for the 'wow' factor.. Plus I don't have to plan in advance what I want - it downloads a directory to your phone =)

5 - Ummm .. FREE, so why not?

6 - It's really friggin cool .. why else do I have a $500 phone (by the time I add in the cost of my memory stick)
    Agreed. It could not download large file:-(.

Phones
    Mine: Blackberry 8900
    Wife: Blackberry 8220 red flip
    Past Phones: Mine: Palm Pre
    Carrier
    Back to Tmo - Later Sprint - ByeBye Tmo...
    Feedback Score
    Just try www.pod2mob.com, its a free streaming podcast site for mobile phone, just make sure you have unlimited data..... you can login to the wap site @ www.pod2mob.com/mobile

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    hurray! They've got a new v2.0 client that streams podcasts directly to the phone from within the midlet ... no downloading, no waiting, no need to have space free, just sweet podcast goodness =) Um, actually i guess it kind of sucks if you pay for your data, but i have unlimited, so i *looooove* it =) (thank-u t-mob for your great data plans) Here's hoping there selection gets better (I think they only have a few hundred right now)

Phones
    SE P990i
    SE k750i
    SE k700i
    Carrier
    Optimus Telecom
    Feedback Score
    Well i changed my mind a bit: i have free gprs at weekends till the end of year, so i was able to test this app

I was suprised with it, works very well, and i use streaming...even with only gprs, its fast and the conection is stable

Thumbs up for this app

Phones
    K800i
    K-750i
    Carriers
    T-Mobile USA
    Feedback Score
    hurray! They've got a new v2.0 client that streams podcasts directly to the phone from within the midlet ... no downloading, no waiting, no need to have space free, just sweet podcast goodness =) Um, actually i guess it kind of sucks if you pay for your data, but i have unlimited, so i *looooove* it =) (thank-u t-mob for your great data plans) Here's hoping there selection gets better (I think they only have a few hundred right now)
    I already updated to ver 2.0. But, I could not download large files. I only have the $4.99 unlimited Tzone with TMO. Would that suffice? or should I change to T-MobileWeb $5.99? Would that make any diff?

What do you mean by no downloading?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Gcane93; 12-13-2005 at 08:08 AM.

Phones
    moto E398
    SE K700
    Se T610
    Carrier
    TMO
    Feedback Score
    nice. i can stream podcasts using 4.99 basic tmo data.

Phones
    HTC Desire Z
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    The downloading doesn't seem to work well with the basic data plans, but if you use the "listen" command instead, it'll stream it and it seems to work just fine .. plus then you don't actually have to have any space on your phone to store it.

Phones
    Sony Xperia Z1
    Sony Ericsson K750i - Dead, SE K810i - Retired, Garminfone - Retired
    Panasonic VS7 - Sold, SE K800i - sold, Nokia 8800 - sold, Nokia 8890 - sold
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Its still a cool find.

Phones
    SE P990i
    SE k750i
    SE k700i
    Carrier
    Optimus Telecom
    Feedback Score
    I also can´t download, i only was able to use streamin...but streaming is enough, and works well...if i want files, i get them from my pc

its a nice little app