Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My Motorola V360 review:

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)

My Motorola V360 review:

I've been using the Rogers retail Motorola V360 now a good 3 weeks. It's now review time.

My unit is running R4513_G_08.B7.86R which is a NA triband, with EDGE (class 6) and Bluetooth.

so let's begin then.

Reception
    I was very happy with my V360 for it's RF performance, and it's handoffs.
    The cantina test, my standard bearer for some time, it flew through without any issues. However, most new phones are flying through that test since the GSM850 band went live at my place. So I now have a new test. This test was used on the P207 and J300a review and now used on the V360 and will be the standard bearer henceforth until i find something better. Don't worry, i won't abandon the cantina test

So, what does this new test comprise of? a Drive.

I go from Yonge and 16th, across 16th to woodbine which takes me through bayview and 16th which is a rough area and will determine if a phone can handle it or if the audio breaks up.

I then proceed north on woodbine to 19th ave, and then proceed west on 19th ave to Yonge. on 19th between leslie and bayview can get rough, as well, the corner of bayview and 19th is also a poor area so this takes me right through 2 of them.

I then make a right on Yonge and proceed north to bloomington sideroad. Going north on yonge like that takes me through OakRidges, which many complain to be a weaker area.

I then make a right on bloomington sideroad and proceed east to bayview, and make a right on bayview and head south to Stoufville side road. This section of bayview is new and didn't exist a few years back so I find it a great place to test.

so, in summation:
    Yonge and 16th, east on 16th to woodbine. North on woodbine to 19th. West on 19th to Yonge. North on Yonge to Bloomington. East on bloomington to Bayview. South on bayview to Stouffville sideroad. East on Stoufville sideroad to Leslie and Leslie back to the Hill.

Case and point, the V360 did very well.
    through that whole drive it performed excellently and the handoffs were great.
    I spoke with Gadgetmon on that drive and he mentioned that the V360 sounded great and had excellent handoffs, he couldn't hear them at all.
    Even in the areas where the P207 started to waiver (Yonge bloomington corner, Bayview south) the V360 held it's own.

I did get a dropped call though at the intersection of Bayview and Stouffville rd, but it was determined to be a bad handoff as repeated that corner 3 more times with the same caller and it worked fine.

In and around the city the V360 works well for me and I have no complaints.

Sound quality
    Sound quality is a personal thing, however i personally find that the V360 is good. However, it's really a "sweet spot" phone. You really have to get used to where to position it to get optimum volume. Once you've found that spot though, it's loud and clear. I found it to be a little bit more treble then usual for moto, but it does seem louder then the aveage moto* so that could be the reason

The outgoing quality is excellent and I got no complaints about it. As mentioned earlier, the handoffs are also excellent. Barely noticeable to the called party. The odd time I did get that hiccup sound in poorer areas but the called party didn't hear it.

(* non seem edited phones)

Camera
    The V360 has a vga camera on it. Standard faire really and takes a decent shot.
    here are some random images i've taken with the V360 for your viewing pleasure.
    The camera features a 4x digital zoom as well as various lighting / brighness effects

External Memory
    The moto V360 has the ability to use MicroSD (originally Transflash) cards. While one is not included in the box the ability to have external memory is a welcome thing in mid tier to high tier handsets. I used my 512meg from my V635i in the unit and it had no issues. The V360 also appears to be how swap since I can remove and re-insert the microSD card and the phone will refresh it's file listings.

The MIcroSD card is also hot swap, you can remove and re-insert the card without having to power cycle the phone.

MP3
    One thing i'd like to touch on is MP3.
    the V360 handles MP3's very well.
    So much so, if you play a MP3 song, from the MicroSD card using the native player (not java app) you can open and close the phone at will and it will keep playing the song. If a call/sms comes in during that time, the song is paused, the sms/ringtune will play. once done it will resume back to the song that was playing. Not only that, but the MP3 title itself will replace the date on the main screen, and you'll get next/previous shortcuts on the main screen which use left/right on the Dpad.

The V360 seems to have that 192kb/s bitrate limitation though as it would not play any 256kb or higher bitrate encoded MP3 files.

MP3 ringtones
    it's no surprise these phones are wide open with no form of neutering from Rogers. The only thing you need to remember though is you can not use MP3's on the card as ringers. You have to copy that MP3 from the card over to the phone to use as a ringtune.
    Images on the card for wallpaper don't have this problem and you can use an image stored on the card as your wall paper.

Connectivity
    miniUSB cable
    The V360 has also changed from the older V600/V551 based tooth connector to the standard mini-USB connector found on the RAZR. As a result you can also use mini-USB cables to connect to the PC. Since the V360 has a mini-USB connector, and a MicroSD card slot it will act as a virtual drive when there's a memory card present and connected to a pc. However, it must be noted, that in settings/connection/USB settings you must have this set to "memory card" if you wish to access the memory card as a drive. If you wish to use Motorola Phone tools you need to switch this option to Data/Fax connection.

MicroSD
    The Moto V360 has a slot for a MicroSD memory card. The slot is in the back of the phone, under the back cover but above the battery so you can easily get to it to swap em out if you need to.

The memory card is not included though so you'll have to buy it seperately.

Bluetooth
    The V360 features the tried and true motorola bluetooth system love it or leave it.
    It's bluetooth 1.1 as well. 1 connection.

The V360, and subsequently Motorola's, bluetooth system can be left on without fear of being seen by other devices since the phone has to be put into a "find me" mode first.
    Nothing much has changed though in terms of BT implementation on the V360. It's the same system and same setup as the RAZR and V551/V635 so I'll just borrow from those reviews:

Range
    Just like the V500/V600/V3 the BT is moto standard issue.
    The range is good. I was able to walk outside of my store and maintain a call using the Jabra BT500.

Synch
    You can use BT or MiniUSB cable to Sync.
    The V360 synchs just as easily using BT and mobile phone tools.
    You can also set up the speed dials 1 – 9 just as easily as the V3 using MPT, but it’s still a confusing process and I wish Motorola would simplify that.

New additions to moto phonebook
    The V360 phonebook is pretty much the same setup as other moto's except for a few things:
    1> the V360 now has added fields in the phonebook for those Outlook Sync'ers. It now features:
    street 1
    street 2
    City
    State/Province
    Zip/Postal code
    Country
    Birthday

a welcome addition to those who want to sync just more then name/number/email

BT pairings (taken from V3 review)
    Of course, operating in a similar way to the V600 has it's advantages. Namely, the V3 can have it's Bluetooth turned on all the time and other's can't see you (similar to SE's Bluetooth implementation of "hidden") what does that mean to you? you can leave BT on all the time and use it with your headsets/PC's/PDA's/carkits and never have to worry about being "bluejacked" or "bluesnarfed" as others just won't see you when they scan.

Headset use (taken from V3 review)
    the V360 still has that quirk where when using a BT headset it'll default to the "continental" ringtone and SMS defaults to the one beep.

I still don't like the Motorola/Nokia way of headset use compared to SE though. If I get an incoming call, and press SEND on the handset, logically, i'd want the phone to pick up, not the headset. I can see both sides of this argument though where some users feel that the headset is a physical extension of the phone, and as such a BT headset should act the same way as a corded headset considering a corded headset you can press send/end on the phone and it'll control the call.

Aesthetics
    The first thing that jumps out at you is the antenna, or lack of one.
    The lines are clean, and a little bit hard edged. I personally prefer hard lined peoducts as opposed to mush round ones. The v360 to me, looks a lot better then the V551.

The build quality of the phone is also good.
    a few creaks and moans here and there. Definately not as solid as the V635/Razr but still up there and not as bad as the V220's feel

Keypad
    The Keypad is also excellent. Just enough pressure. the buttons aren't to clicky, but they aren't dead stiff either. Perfect for my needs and they're big enough to. The spacing also works well for me, even though the buttonts butt against eachother.

The centre keypad also works well with the camera and internet buttons off the right and left as well as the 4 day dpad with centre select key and the 3 top row keys. Menu and left/right shortcuts.

The keypad is also well lit when in low light situations

Internal Screen
    The V360 screen is excellent. I'd say it's one of the best quality screens to date for richness and colour saturation. Furthermore, the V360 finally has the 1010mah battery to back up the power demands of the screen and last you.

External Screen
    The external screen is a CSTN greyscale unit. It's similar in dimentions to that of the V635, but isn't colour. This probably attributes to some of the battery gain, but I doubt it's significant. I actually prefer this greyscale unit to the V635's colour unit since it's much easier to see and make out.

Email
    Oddly enough, the V360 lacks an Email client which has been pretty much on all mid tier to high tier moto phones. I've been told that the initial decision was that the V360 would be a my mail phone so they left the Email client out, but it was then decided that Mymail on this phone would be put on hold. There may be an Email client added back in in future sofrtware revisions, but only time will tell.

Battery
    This V360 comes with the extended battery out of the box.
    With a battery rating of 1010mah it definately delivers.
    The V360 lasts me a full day easily. Constant hammering out SMS, browsing hofo wirelessly and making receiving calls were no issue. The phone typically came off the charger at 9am and by 2am I'd have 2/3 bars. Sometimes i'd have 1.3 red bar. Either way it lasted and on this alone you should consider the V360 if you're looking for a phone with battery life, and a strong featureset.

Also, the battery is sporting a newly packaged look for the winter as well

Ratings
    Performance..............9
    Build Quality...............7
    Battery Life................10
    Features......................8
    Software.....................7
    Bluetooth.....................7

Overall.......................8

Pros:
    *Strong RF
    *Excellent handoffs
    *Excellent Battery life
    *Amazing screen
    *MicroSD memory slot for future expansion
    *MiniUSB connector
    *New field additions in phonebook
    *MP3 support and usage
    *Moto shortcuts can customize basically anything
    *Excellent keypad
    *good lighting of keypad
    *MicroSD card is hotswap

Cons:
    *No included MicroSD card
    *same Moto phonebook
    *Triband (so used to moto Quad)
    *Class 6 Edge (wich they'd class 10)
    *Price point (hard to compete with $99 razr and $199 V635)
    *MP3's can't be used as ringtunes when stored on card
    *Continental Ringtune when using BT headset
    Last edited by Treatz; 12-06-2005 at 07:07 PM.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless; total Fido pwnage (literally)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Hey, it's Van Houtte!

I just did an accounting presentation on them today

Your new test seems to be a huge hassle.... but i guess that's what you need to do in the name of science

Are you doing a review of the Z520?

Device(s)
    S3
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    What kind of headphone jack can you use on this?

Carrier(s)
    •Rogers Wireless•
    Feedback Score
    Great review Treatz! I only used the V360 for 3 days... all I can say about it is that it's proformance enabled. I liked it much better than the V220, that fone was

The V360 seems to be selling well, I hope there are no issues w/ them down the road.

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by I2icky
    lol....the only phone that matters!!

(use your prehup on it)
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are strictly my own.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (I Work For Wireless Unlimited: Mozilla/4.8 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) BlackBerry7290/4.0.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

^^ I believe that it takes tha same wired hf as tha RAZR.... Usb based...
    What is Understood, Need Not Be Discussed...."

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers Wireless; total Fido pwnage (literally)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JP
    lol....the only phone that matters!!

(use your prehup on it)
    Do you have nothing else better to do?

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Why even wait when you can get more & EDGE with the Last of the V interceptors !

Nice review !

Feedback Score
    just come up with a question, I would like to know for the much music edition, would they already preload many things to the phone already? so how many mb of memory I would have left after all those? thanx

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plus2
    just come up with a question, I would like to know for the much music edition, would they already preload many things to the phone already? so how many mb of memory I would have left after all those? thanx
    Seem edit all that **** out !!

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Your new test seems to be a huge hassle.... but i guess that's what you need to do in the name of science
    I think he just wants to talk to GadgetMon alone!
    Iam going to have to mention this to Crocket.
    I donated my BRAIN in the name of Science.

Device(s)
    2 cans and a string
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie
    I am starting to wonder about those 2 myself Zombie, they seem to be spending more and more time together lately.
    MY FEEDBACKS

"To know the true reality of yourself, you must be aware not only of your conscious thoughts, but also of your unconscious prejudices, bias and habits."

http://crocket.myminicity.com/

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by TelecomZombie
    it's not like i can call you on your pager for the test

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by treatz
    it's not like i can call you on your pager for the test
    It tickles when you call !

Seriously that is a Nice phone & I would grab one No Question if it weren't for the lower EDGE class.

Device(s)
    •—Apple iPhone 6
    Carrier(s)
    ◄ Fido ►
    Feedback Score
    I don't really like the phone. Find it has a toyish feel and appeal to it.

Definitely not a serious phone and I haven't seen many ppl pick it up to look at it regardless of it's features.

Unless it drops to $19.99 or something like that, or complete get rid of the v551 (ppl are still buying them), I can't see it selling any units on an already overcrowded Rogers lineup

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast