Thread: Best Bluetooth Dongle?

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry Ry
    Thanks for the heads up..

The Kensington one isn't showing Not Available In-Store.
    Sorry, I did miss that, it says Delivery only.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Samsung A680
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Ok Heres my problem, I just got the Kensington Dongle from Best Buy and it uses the widcomm, which works great for OBEX, however i want to use other applications on my phone using bluetooth, I know it has a connection for serial to make it as if the bluetooth connection were a direct connection for other applications. I have the V557 and it will not connect using the serial portion, but Obex works for it. The weird thing is that when I used the dongle to find my HS850 Headset it claimed it could use the serial connection, but not the phone. Is there anything im doing wrong or is this out of my hands?

Thank You

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry Ry
    Thanks for the heads up..

The Kensington one isn't showing Not Available In-Store.
    How about the Dlink DBT-120 for $19.99 after rebate.. in store http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...822&pfp=SEARCH

Device(s)
    SCH-A950
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score

I Found the link for the security code for DBT-120

Quote Originally Posted by M5Rahul
    wnrussell: thanks for that link!!.. solved my XP's Native BT Stack issue... pheww!!

However, there is now a new problem:

The following pop-up keeps coming back:

" No Valid Security Code Found "

So, I went thru the Dlink Manual and it does address this issue. However, there are problems with it too...

1 - The manual [ Troubleshooting section ] points me to - Program File \ WIDCOMM \ Bluetooth Software \ BIN \BTFaeSEC.exe to enable the fix... But, I don't have a WIDCOMM folder!! I have Program Files \ DLink \ BluetoothSoftware.... Also, under BIN there is no BTFaeSEC.exe file to execute

2 - The manual states [under "Installing the Bluetooth Software" section ] that A 32 digit security code is included with your DBT-120 and is located on the back flap of your CD cover.. Well I lost the CD Cover.. It further states that if you have misplaced the CD Cover you can obtain the security code from http://66.45.42.85/Dlink Now, that site is not found!!

So, basically.. I have managed to get rid of XP BT stack and get the Device Mgr to recognize and install the DLink 120 Adapter and software. But, I don't have a WIDCOMM folder and 2) I cant retrieve the security code because the aformentioned website in the manual is a dead link!!

BTW, I bought the adapter from CompUSA, not ebay... if that makes a difference

Plz help!
    i found it, here it is http://bluetooth.broadcom.com/dlink/

Device(s)
    E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

My DBT-120 died last week

No warning, no abuse, just dead. Back it goes. Gonns try the zonnet from newegg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    How about the Dlink DBT-120 for $19.99 after rebate.. in store http://www.compusa.com/products/prod...822&pfp=SEARCH

Device(s)
    Razr V3m
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I think I read all 5 pages about three times.. I think I have narrowed it down but I am not sure.. It seems that the Airnet worked well for someone.. at an amazing price..

It seems that the Dlink DBT-120 worked well for others..

Also, the Zonet 6111C worked well for some as well.

Which do you think is the best compatible with the V3C razr. It doesnt have to be one of these. But I am looking for the cheapest one that was proven to work with the V3c. thanks

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Widcomm has been purchased by Broadcom... While the V5 drivers still say Widcomm Bluetoth USB Driver, and Copyright Widcomm inside the INF files, the user manual says Broadcom and has the Broadcom logo on every page.
    OK, I think I am finally beginning to understand all of this. One of my remaining questions is, what brand/model of dongle comes with v5 Widcomm/Broadcom drivers?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    OK, I think I am finally beginning to understand all of this. One of my remaining questions is, what brand/model of dongle comes with v5 Widcomm/Broadcom drivers?
    Its difficult to tell unless you open the package, and look at the CD to know exactly WHICH version of drivers come with what dongle...

The only way to have "an idea" is to do like I said in post #11 of this thread...
    Find the model number of the device in question... Visit the manufacturer's web site, look up what downloads they have available...
    I had use the Belkin dongle as an example back there...

But for example, visit DLink's web site, look up the drivers for the DBT-120... no matter which revision, it uses Widcomm v1.4 drivers... so it wont support some of the newer BT protocols... like A2DP for stereo headphone support... Not a problem if all you want to do is use the dongle with the phone, but if you want to do more with Bluetooth on your PC, having the latest driver also usually indicates newer BT HCI support in hardware too...

Example... My first Ambicom BT2000C-USB (lower serial number range) uses Widcomm v1.3x drivers, supports HCI 1.0/1.1. My 2nd Ambicom BT2000C-USB (latest serial number range) uses Widcomm v3.0.9x drivers, supports HCI 1.0/1.1/1.2.. BOTH Dongles works great with the phone and my PDA..

BUT with the HCI 1.2, there are extra features... it can transfer data at a higher rate, etc... use stereo phone phones, etc... So I can do more with Bluetooth on my PC if I had to, without replacing the dongle again...

Again, if you just plan on using the dongle with ONLY the phone... Get the CHEAPEST that comes with ANY version of the Widcomm drivers.

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by athenslb57
    I picked up an IOGEAR at wal-mart for $24 and it works perfect with my V3C and my brothers e815. The exact model is GBU211WM. PM me if you need any help.
    And there is a current $10 rebate.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Calisoldier83
    I bought the led shoppe dongle . It should be in my hands soon. They're imported from China only $10. I hope the widcomm drivers work for it. I have heard they work good but I'm not sure on the widcomm yet.
    I did purchase this BT Dongle. It comes with the 1.6 bluesoleil drivers. I managed to get the latest weidcomm drivers to load with it as well (using a patch). With either one of those my phone (E815) will be able to bond, but will never find services.

Has anyone had a problem like this or a solution? Does this adapter work fine for others? The V710, on the other hand, finds an audio gateway and DUN.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    The Anycom USB-250 supports Bluetooth 2.0 and comes with version 4 Broadcom drivers, but in their support forum they're offering "the first Beta Version of the ANYCOM Bluetooth USB Software v5.0.1" to any users who are interested in testing it. I just got this dongle a few days ago from Amazon.com and have only had the chance to try it with my new Plantronics 510 headset (I'm waiting for my new E815 to come in), but it was very easy to set up and has worked fine.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One other note for this thread...

When purchasing and installing a NEW BT Radio (dongle or otherwise) into a Win XP computer with SP2 already installed...

BEFORE YOU CONNECT THE BT DONGLE (or radio)....

Rename the Bth.inf file to something like Bthinf.old and the Bth.pnf file to something like Bthpnf.old They are found in c:\windows\inf (assuming c:\windows was your windows install directory)...

This will prevent the WinXP SP2 driver from grabbing your dongle before you install the drivers on the CD with the device.

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I want to keep my BT device plugged into my laptop all the time. If I use a USB dongle I will have to remove it when I move my laptop.

Has anyone tried using a PCMCIA BT card?
    Any recommendations?

Mark
    VZW, It's 2009! Time to embrace technology, not suppress it.
    oops....too late I've ported over to AT$T

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K
    Has anyone tried using a PCMCIA BT card?
    I haven't tried any, but I can assume if its PCMCIA it will be "slower" as the PCMCIA bus is 16bit.. and can't even make full speed use of a 100mbit lan card (i.e. transfer rates topped out at about 25mbit when I tried it way back... switching to a 32bit Card Bus adapter got me near to 85-95mbit range)...

When it comes to searching for BT add ons.. I've not found any CardBus BT cards, but I have found PCMCIA and Compact Flash (CF)... The CF's can be put into an adapter to be used in a PCMCIA slot... But again, its slow since its PCMCIA...

Ambicom still sells theirs... http://ambicom.com/products/air2net/bt2000cf.html (they have at their online store)... But its BT HCI 1.1, so its not the "newest/latest/greatest" BUT it does use the Widcomm v1.42 drivers.

Btw, I haven't found too many others still on the market..

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    I haven't tried any, but I can assume if its PCMCIA it will be "slower" as the PCMCIA bus is 16bit.. and can't even make full speed use of a 100mbit lan card (i.e. transfer rates topped out at about 25mbit when I tried it way back... switching to a 32bit Card Bus adapter got me near to 85-95mbit range)...

When it comes to searching for BT add ons.. I've not found any CardBus BT cards, but I have found PCMCIA and Compact Flash (CF)... The CF's can be put into an adapter to be used in a PCMCIA slot... But again, its slow since its PCMCIA...

Ambicom still sells theirs... http://ambicom.com/products/air2net/bt2000cf.html (they have at their online store)... But its BT HCI 1.1, so its not the "newest/latest/greatest" BUT it does use the Widcomm v1.42 drivers.

Btw, I haven't found too many others still on the market..
    Thanks Mark,

Take a look at this site. It has many BT cards. What do you think?

http://www.thewirelessdirectory.com/...th-PC-Card.htm

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast