Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: Best Bluetooth Dongle?

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K
    Take a look at this site. It has many BT cards. What do you think?

http://www.thewirelessdirectory.com/...th-PC-Card.htm
    I think you're going to have fun trying to figure out what drivers each of those use if you want to be sure to get on that uses Widcomm... Otherwise, just take your pick

I know the 3Com one does NOT use Widcomm and there were issues trying to get the "post-license hack" Widcomm drivers to work with it...

Not sure about any of the others...

Also take note... that site is not actually selling them... it just has listings and usually refers you to the manufactueres web site... this doesn't necessarily mean they are still for sale... and some of the link's do not work! LIke for the IBM PC Bluetooth card, PC Bluetooth Card II, and Bluetooth Ultraport Module... The links don't work, and becuase of where I work (and my job function) I know that IBM no longer sells those, yet that page has them listed..
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-23-2006 at 12:03 PM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    I think you're going to have fun trying to figure out what drivers each of those use if you want to be sure to get on that uses Widcomm... Otherwise, just take your pick

I know the 3Com one does NOT use Widcomm and there were issues trying to get the "post-license hack" Widcomm drivers to work with it...

Not sure about any of the others...

Also take note... that site is not actually selling them... it just has listings and usually refers you to the manufactueres web site... this doesn't necessarily mean they are still for sale... and some of the link's do not work! LIke for the IBM PC Bluetooth card, PC Bluetooth Card II, and Bluetooth Ultraport Module... The links don't work, and becuase of where I work (and my job function) I know that IBM no longer sells those, yet that page has them listed..
    Mark,

Are you saying that the USB BT technology is better then the PCMCIA Card technology?

What other solution could I use with a laptop that wont require a dongle sticking out of my PC?

Thanks

Mark
    VZW, It's 2009! Time to embrace technology, not suppress it.
    oops....too late I've ported over to AT$T

Device(s)
    Samsung u740
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I can't believe how many posts we have that just goes over data cables.
    3 pgaes, that's crazy.

I am almost contemplating on consolidating a list with all data cables and its relevant phones.
    With knowledge, comes great power.
    With power, comes great responsibility.
    With responsibility, comes great wisdom.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by JSP62
    I can't believe how many posts we have that just goes over data cables.
    3 pgaes, that's crazy.

I am almost contemplating on consolidating a list with all data cables and its relevant phones.
    This is bluetooth dongles... Not cables.. Cable info, I have on my FAQ already...

For USB dongles, there are so many options to choose.. and when you consider mail order vs local... Widcomm vs BlueSoleil, etc.. it gets difficult.. so this is only 1 of many threads discussing BT dongles...

If you want to take the time to run down a list of all the dongles posted in each of the threads... Go a head...

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Are you saying that the USB BT technology is better then the PCMCIA Card technology?
    I'm saying USB can transfer faster than PCMCIA.

Also, many of those BT PCMCIA cards are ALL OLDER levels of the bluetooth HCI so they will have less features/profiles available. Current USB Dongles are either HCI 1.2 or HCI 2.0...

Now, like I've already posted... if all you're going to use the BT on the PC with is your phone... Don't worry about the HCI level of the dongle... The phone is BT HCI 1.1 class 2 so it will be the limiting factor...
    What other solution could I use with a laptop that wont require a dongle sticking out of my PC?
    Unless your laptop is "bluetooth upgradeable" you have two choices.. 1. USB Dongle, or 2. PCMCIA card.

Considering the Ambicom card I suggested earlier is $69.99 for a HCI 1.1/Class2... Some of the others on that page are no longer being sold, and you can pickup a USB HCI 2.0 Class 2 for $40... or a USB HCI 1.1/Class2 for anywhere from $10 to 45... the USB is also cheaper.

Again, I haven't used any PCMCIA BT cards... so I can't make any suggestions...

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Well, after reading all the stuff in all the threads here, I finally bought a Bluetooth dongle. I ended up buying the MSI Star Key 2.0.

It supports Bluetooth up to v2.0, and USB up to v2.0. Yea, overkill for the V3c, but I figured the dongle should have some future shelf life by supporting those latest versions.

It did come with v4 Widcomm drivers. Wow, lots and lots of stuff gets installed with those drivers.

It did surprise me that all the subdirectories on the phone were initially empty. For example, I had expected the pre-installed, default, ringtones on the V3c to all be in the ringtones subdirectory, but they weren't. However, adding ringtones to that subdirectory works, and they are added to the end of the available ringtone list when selecting sounds.

Thanks to Mark_Venture, and everyone else, for their advice and guidance in this!

Device(s)
    VX8650 (Me)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Any recommendations from this site?
    NewEgg Bluetooth dongles

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas21
    NewEgg Bluetooth dongles
    I have bought a lot of stuff from Newegg including the MSI Star Key 2.0 Bluetooth dongle I just got.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tomas21
    NewEgg Bluetooth dongles
    read back in this thread...

Specific models of the IOGear, MSI and Zonet dongles sold by new egg (and other places) have been recomended in this thread already... just possibly purchased from other sites/stores.

Also, in post # 2 of this thread I suggested visiting my pages (link in my sig) and use the FAQ, as I have links to other threads with BT Dongle discussions that also have specific models listed.

In short, do your homework (i.e. read the threads), make a selection and have fun when it arrives... Also, read the PC Bluetooth page on my pages BEFORE You plug your new dongle in!!

Oh, btw, don't forget.. if you have a V3C with the .02 firmware you should be all set. If you have an E815 you have to do the Seem Edits via USB Cable before OBEX File Transfers work

Feedback Score
    I have read every page of this topic and am fairly certain based on the info provided that the dongle i am looking at is one w/ widcomm drivers. See link for product details.
    http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=BT-B1
    The manufacturer's website does not offer driver downloads, but does show that this model uses the Broadcom BCM2045 chipset. This leads me to believe the Drivers would be widcomm since Broadcom aquired widcomm, but wanted to see if anyone else thought differently.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Sewerplug
    ...The manufacturer's website does not offer driver downloads, but does show that this model uses the Broadcom BCM2045 chipset. This leads me to believe the Drivers would be widcomm since Broadcom aquired widcomm, but wanted to see if anyone else thought differently.
    Stands to reason, but until you get it, there is no way to be 100% sure... and it is possible that "to keep the costs down" Suncore is using BlueSoleil instead...

Did you check http://www.suncore.com.tw for support/drivers? I can't get there from work.

Feedback Score
    I didn't see that tab down there at the bottom. I went to products and found the specs... Now when trying to access the support/drivers portion i keep getting server errors. I'll keep trying, though. Thanks for your help!

Device(s)
    Moto Z6c
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Hope this isn't hijacking the thread, but... I just installed the MSI Star Key 2.0 dongle on an older laptop. The MSI came with v4 widcomm drivers.

The BT OBEX file transfer worked great with my V3c (.02 recently flashed to .04 firmware)... but somehow installing the BT drivers hosed my wireless connection. I must have done something wrong, but I can't sleuth it out. Wireless card (Buffalo) says it's connected and the signal strength is excellent, but I can't connect to the web through it. Is this a common issue when installing BT drivers or am I just clumsy or unlucky?

TIA!

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by drjohn
    The BT OBEX file transfer worked great with my V3c (.02 recently flashed to .04 firmware)... but somehow installing the BT drivers hosed my wireless connection. I must have done something wrong, but I can't sleuth it out. Wireless card (Buffalo) says it's connected and the signal strength is excellent, but I can't connect to the web through it. Is this a common issue when installing BT drivers or am I just clumsy or unlucky?
    I have the MSI dongle, and Orinoco WiFi. I believe at least some of the Buffalo WiFi stuff is the same as Orinoco. So this might be applicable.

I assumed you followed Microsoft's instructions (see Article 840635, Method 1) when installing the Widcomm drivers.

If so, then goto into Network Connections (select My Network Places, right click, select Properties). Make sure that your wireless connection is still active and working. While there, you might want to disable your bluetooth network connection.

Device(s)
    Moto Z6c
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    I have the MSI dongle, and Orinoco WiFi. I believe at least some of the Buffalo WiFi stuff is the same as Orinoco. So this might be applicable.

I assumed you followed Microsoft's instructions (see Article 840635, Method 1) when installing the Widcomm drivers.

If so, then goto into Network Connections (select My Network Places, right click, select Properties). Make sure that your wireless connection is still active and working. While there, you might want to disable your bluetooth network connection.
    Thanks, Walt.

Actually I used MSI's instructions when installing the drivers, along with several FAQ printouts, from here and Mark Venture's website. I did forget to rename MS's BT drivers, but MSI's widcomm drivers seem to have installed OK and all seemed to work as promised. Only later did I realize my web browser was not connecting. I disabled the BT networking but that didn't help. Neither did pulling the BT dongle and rebooting (BT icon in tray shows red "b" rather than white one).

I will check out the MSKB article, but it seems to be reporting problems with BT connections not working. My problem is that while the BT continues to work Ok, other applications that access the internet via my wireless connection now no longer connect, as if the BT install somehow disrupted their ability to access my seemingly-still-connected wireless card.

Thanks for the lead, tho; I'll sniff it out...

~john
    Last edited by drjohn; 04-27-2006 at 12:22 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast