Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 114

Thread: Best Bluetooth Dongle?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    974
    Device(s)
    V3m
    Feedback Score
    0

    Best Bluetooth Dongle?

    Well I have just found out that my built in bluetooth hardware is screwed, and I don't want to send my comp in to get fixed. So I will just buy a dongle. I see that some people are having problems with the dongles they are using (mostly here that of the dlink). What dongles are you guys having the most luck with?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Not sure who is having problems with Dlink dongles.. they usually come with Widcomm drivers which are the easisest to work with...

    Most BT problems I see are when people try to install MPT, and have it setup the phone over bluetooth they get a "comm port installation failed" message... but this is because their phone is already paired with the PC so MPT's pairing and install doesn't like that...

    Most of the "problems" I see are with people who have dongls that use Bluesoliel drivers or the WinXP SP2 drivers and are trying to use MPT... or trying to find the "my bluetooth places" icon to do file transfers... But that is because MPT's phone setup wizard only supports Widcomm drivers, and "my bluetooth places" is a function of the Widcomm drivers.

    Visit my pages... when you're there, use the FAQ in the top right... I have some info on bluetooth, bluetooth dongles, and links to disccussion threads with suggestions of dongles.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!


    New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

    Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,627
    Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Not sure who is having problems with Dlink dongles.. they usually come with Widcomm drivers which are the easisest to work with...

    Most BT problems I see are when people try to install MPT, and have it setup the phone over bluetooth they get a "comm port installation failed" message... but this is because their phone is already paired with the PC so MPT's pairing and install doesn't like that...

    Most of the "problems" I see are with people who have dongls that use Bluesoliel drivers or the WinXP SP2 drivers and are trying to use MPT... or trying to find the "my bluetooth places" icon to do file transfers... But that is because MPT's phone setup wizard only supports Widcomm drivers, and "my bluetooth places" is a function of the Widcomm drivers.

    Visit my pages... when you're there, use the FAQ in the top right... I have some info on bluetooth, bluetooth dongles, and links to disccussion threads with suggestions of dongles.
    Mark

    You need to add the V3c to your signature line.
    VZW, It's 2009! Time to embrace technology, not suppress it.
    oops....too late I've ported over to AT$T

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K
    You need to add the V3c to your signature line.
    I am working on adding V3C specific info to my pages first

    see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=792946

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    974
    Device(s)
    V3m
    Feedback Score
    0
    Mark,

    i see you are using ambicom dongles. are those user friendly also? would you suggest those?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by lembowski
    Mark,

    i see you are using ambicom dongles. are those user friendly also? would you suggest those?
    the the newest Serial number range of the Ambicomm dongles come with Widcomm v3 drivers and are very easy/user friendly... and for $30 at compusa... not too expensive either.

    Thing is... Belkin, Linksys, Dlink, Billionton, Zonet, MSI, all use Widcomm drivers for MOST of their dongles... you have a 99% chance of getting a dongle that uses Widcomm drivers if you purchase one of those brands...

    The kensington dongles... there appears to be more than 1 model.. one my friend purchased at Compusa a few months ago did NOT use Widcomm drivers... however, others are saying they purchased at Best Buy and it DOES include Widcomm drivers. Kensington does NOT have the drivers on their web site for download.

    The Built in bluetooth on some laptops, like the IBM Thinkpad T30/T40/T41/T41, and SOME dell units, use "rebadged" Widcomm drivers.. for example, IBM's version of the Widcomm drivers don't say Widcomm unless you look at the descriptions/text in the .INF files... Once you install them, they say IBM Integrated Bluetooth.

    Make sure you read the threads I linked on my FAQ... There are some good suggestions there to choose from... and I see some good suggestions being posted in this thread...


    Quote Originally Posted by avca07
    I'm looking on circuitcity.com and looking at all they have to offer... none say anything about Widcomm. Whats the deal?
    Widcomm is the driver set... the packages themselves will NOT mention Widcomm... Its not until you open them and look at the driver CD that you will know...

    Here is one way to know... Find the model number of the device in question... Visit the manufacturer's web site, look up what downloads they have available...

    For example... the Belkin F8T008 at Circuit City sells... Belkin has the Widcomm v3.0.1.912 driver set for download on their support site... so that is ok... Now, $48 for that dongle... Yikes.. a little expensive.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,627
    Device(s)
    eyePhone 3G
    Carrier(s)
    AT$T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    I am working on adding V3C specific info to my pages first

    see -> http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=792946
    This will be great.
    Trying to get information of this site is a joke. Too many people dont use the search facility and just re-post the same questions.

    I look forward to your organized site.

    Thanks

    Mark

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_K
    This will be great.
    Trying to get information of this site is a joke. Too many people dont use the search facility and just re-post the same questions.

    I look forward to your organized site.
    Anything you want to see on my pages, be sure to post it in that thread!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bogota, NJ
    Posts
    343
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Not sure who is having problems with Dlink dongles.. they usually come with Widcomm drivers which are the easisest to work with...

    Most BT problems I see are when people try to install MPT, and have it setup the phone over bluetooth they get a "comm port installation failed" message... but this is because their phone is already paired with the PC so MPT's pairing and install doesn't like that...

    Most of the "problems" I see are with people who have dongls that use Bluesoliel drivers or the WinXP SP2 drivers and are trying to use MPT... or trying to find the "my bluetooth places" icon to do file transfers... But that is because MPT's phone setup wizard only supports Widcomm drivers, and "my bluetooth places" is a function of the Widcomm drivers.

    Visit my pages... when you're there, use the FAQ in the top right... I have some info on bluetooth, bluetooth dongles, and links to disccussion threads with suggestions of dongles.
    I have a Cellink BTA 6030,
    I have been able to connect with MPT but when it goes to connect I get an error with the com port is this for the same reason. Do you know a fix for this. The very first time I used the Bluetooth dongle it worked. Has not worked since.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by njkode
    I have a Cellink BTA 6030,
    I have been able to connect with MPT but when it goes to connect I get an error with the com port is this for the same reason. Do you know a fix for this. The very first time I used the Bluetooth dongle it worked. Has not worked since.
    If you've read this thread... you'd see there are different drivers that can be used... Heck 3 different ones are in that text you quoted.

    So can you tell me WHAT DRIVERS this dongle uses?

    If I look at -> http://www.cellink.com.tw/ind-dmanual.htm I'm guessing TOSHIBA.. which I know NOTHING about, other than many people have problems with Toshiba.
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 10-15-2006 at 11:44 AM.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bogota, NJ
    Posts
    343
    Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    att
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    If you've read this thread... you'd see there are different drivers that can be used... Heck 3 different ones are in that text you quoted.

    So can you tell me WHAT DRIVERS this dongle uses?

    If I look at -> http://www.cellink.com.tw/ind-dmanual.htm I'm guessing TOSHIBA.. which I know NOTHING about, other than many people have problems with Toshiba.
    Yea it is Toshiba, this is what I downloaded from there site
    tosibaV3.03.13(C)_2KXP_US.rar

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by njkode
    Yea it is Toshiba, this is what I downloaded from there site
    tosibaV3.03.13(C)_2KXP_US.rar
    Ahh... Toshiba.. know nothing about them.. just of people posting problems...

    If you legally purchased MPT, you can try and get some help in their support forums -> http://www.bvrpforums.com/motorola/index.php

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    67
    Device(s)
    Motorola RAZR v3c
    Feedback Score
    0
    I'm looking on circuitcity.com and looking at all they have to offer... none say anything about Widcomm. Whats the deal?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Voorhees, New Jersey, United States
    Posts
    5,283
    Device(s)
    Moto X Developer
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I have not heard of any problems with the D-Link DBT-120 USB adapter. The Kensington and Belkin adapters have problems communicating with some devices.

    Get the latest Widcomm 4 BT stack software if you are still having problems with the D-Link.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    DFW
    Posts
    589
    Device(s)
    LG VX9900
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    I think that the Linksys USBBT100 is the best. It costs a little more ~$40, but it has range that covers my entire house. Set up is easy if you are on XP SP1. If you have XP SP2, there are a few additional hoops to jump through.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Bookmarks