Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Motorola RAZR V3c/V3m: How to turn off EVDO

Feedback Score

Motorola RAZR V3c/V3m: How to turn off EVDO

I thought I saw a way to turn it off but can't seem to find it anymore....any conventional way to do it?

Phones
    Razr V3c
    E815
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    PLEASE BE CAREFUL. IT IS VERY EASY TO SCREW UP YOUR PHONE FROM WITHIN THE PROGRAMMING MENU.

1. From the main menu, type #073887* then type 000000 for the security code to enter the programming menu
    2. Select ok
    3. Scroll down to test mode. Enter the menu, highlight "enable" and press the right soft key to select
    4. Reboot the phone
    5. Hit the left soft key and the menu key simultaneously until a white screen appears with the letters "FTS" on top. This may appear automatically when the phone reboots
    6. Hit the right soft key three times
    7. Scroll down to "HDR Pref:" and select "CDMA" with the right soft key
    8. Scroll down to "HDR Hybr:" and select "off" with the right soft key
    9. Push the left soft key and "EXIT"
    10. Exit test mode by pushing the clr key then the left soft key
    11. Reenter the programming menu and disable test mode
    12. Reboot the phone.

JUST BE CAREFULL, as you might hose ur phone

Phones
    Motorola Droid RAZR
    Motorola Droid RAZR
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    You need to get to the Security menu:
    01. PRESS menu 073887 * (type it quickly, or you can't get to the Op code dialog)
    02. Enter your security code (the default is 000000 if you haven't changed it)

You are now in the Security menu. Activate Test Mode and access a special configuration menu:
    03. Scroll down to "Test Mode"
    04. Select "Enable" (it is "Disable" by default)
    05. Press the End button (red power button/call hangup) until you are back at the desktop/idle screen
    06. Press the Menu button and then the Left Soft key (just left of Menu)
    07. The screen will become white and likely show "FTS" or some other letters at the top

You now need to get to the config page to change the service settings:
    08. Press "Next" until you see a page with "HDR Pref", 8th item in list
    09. Press the "down" key until you get to the HDR Pref item
    10. If not previously changed, the default value is set to "auto"
    11. Press the Right Soft key "change" until you see "cdma" for using CDMA only, or "auto" for using both EVDO and CDMA
    12. Now press Exit (Left Soft key)
    13. Press the Menu button and then the Left Soft key

You should now be out of the white menu pages, but you are still in Test Mode:
    14. PRESS menu 073887 *
    15. Enter your security code (the default is 000000 if you haven't changed it)
    16. Scroll down to "Test Mode"
    17. Select "Disable"
    18. Press the End button until you are back at the desktop/idle screen

The phone should be functioning properly and according to your format settings.

You will only see "1X" for your service type if set to CDMA only ("EV" should no longer appear). If set to "auto", you may see 1X or EV, depending on your local tower coverage.

NOTE: When changing back to "auto", make sure you check that the HDR Hybr value is set to "on". It might be "off" from previous setting changes.

I found the above text in another thread. Are you sure that Hdr Hybr is supposed to be set to off? This says it is supposed to be set to on.

Phone
    Razr V3C
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

What are the benifits?

Sorry guys,i am totally new to this and was wondering what the benifit of doing this would be? Thanks in advance.

Phones
    Sprint Centro - SERO
    Retired:LG enV, Razr Q, V3c, E815, Treo 650, Mitac 8390, PPCPE, T68i
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mina3088
    Sorry guys,i am totally new to this and was wondering what the benifit of doing this would be? Thanks in advance.
    it will turn off evdo. when u live in area where phone constantly switches from 1x to evdo, your battery will die very fast. so people have been turning off evdo so that the phone would stop constatly searching for it.

Phones
    LG Dare
    Sidekick 2
    Lg vx8300
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    thanks everyone
    if im not back in 5 minutes............. just wait longer

Phones
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iphone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I get into the secret menu set to enable. but when I click the Menu button and then the left soft key nothing happens. all I see is the contacts menu.

Phones
    Sprint Centro - SERO
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    restart the phone

Phones
    iPhone 4 32GB
    iphone 4 32GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    well I rebooted and was ablet to get in but after the change I am still in the FTS menu and I can't get out. I press soft key menu softkey and all I see is PREV and Next. I can't get out. I shut it and started back up but still the same.

Feedback Score
    If I am in an area that has solid EVDO coverage (very little switching to 1x) will EVDO still drain the battery quicker?

Phones
    Sprint Centro - SERO
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by misha24
    well I rebooted and was ablet to get in but after the change I am still in the FTS menu and I can't get out. I press soft key menu softkey and all I see is PREV and Next. I can't get out. I shut it and started back up but still the same.

reboot, after u see FTS press right soft key 3 times. after that press CLR key and then Left soft key. disable test mode and reboot

Phone
    V710
    Feedback Score
    IMPORTANT ALERT PLEASE READ

I had used the procedure above from gdbjr and successfully disabled EV. Today I traveled from the Boston area to the DC area, and my phone was effectively disabled. Apparently when I entered the new service area, the setting HDR Pref was automatically changed from "cdma" to "auto". However, the setting HDR Hybr remained "off". When I went back in and changed it to "on", my phone started working again. Therefore, you should be aware that (1) the HDR Pref setting can be changed by the system when you roam service areas and you would have to re-do it; and (2) DON'T change HDR Hybr.

I have an extremely helpful VZW network technician who is helping me look into the battery drain problem that motivated my desire to turn off EV in the first place. I will post when I learn more.

Phone
    Blackberry 8320 (Curve)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I've read that if it switches from 1x to EVDO it drains your battery. I live in an area where it's always 1x, will it benefit me to turn off EVDO to get better battery life or will it be the same if it never changes. I thought I read in another post somewhere that it drains battery just looking for the EVDO signal.

Phone
    V710
    Feedback Score
    I can't answer that yet. I am hoping the VZW tech will shed some light. Based on my experiences today, though, I am more cautious about turning off EV. My suspicion is that if there is no EV to be found, the battery drain is much less than if you are on a fringe. But I have learned to be circumspect about this for now.

Phone
    Blackberry 8320 (Curve)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol
    I can't answer that yet. I am hoping the VZW tech will shed some light. Based on my experiences today, though, I am more cautious about turning off EV. My suspicion is that if there is no EV to be found, the battery drain is much less than if you are on a fringe. But I have learned to be circumspect about this for now.
    Thanks Bristol. Let us know what the tech tells you. For now I guess I'll just leave it the way it is. I'm thinking of maybe buying another battery. By the way, does anyone know if the battery for the V265 will work with the V3c and also thinking of getting the E815 for the GF, will it work for that too?

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast