Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: MP3 Ringtones on Nokia 6256I/6236I success! Works perfectly.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

MP3 Ringtones on Nokia 6256I/6236I success! Works perfectly.

I take zero credit for this. Most of the credit goes to several guys at xphilez, in addition to HOFO's own techman20. Techman's thread can be found here.

What you will need:
    1) Nokia Diego software. Which can be found at the first link in this search.
    2) DKU-2 USB Cable
    3) Obviously a Nokia 6256

I had some trouble installing Diego so I'm going to explain exactly what I did. If the install works for you on the first try you're good to go.

1) Install Diego as directed with the install files.
    2) Install necessary "secondary" software which is included with Diego.
    --If the install works properly you'll be able to use Diego on the first try. If you get a "dongle error" then use the following instructions.--

Credit goes to randye101 at xphilez for these instructions, thanks!

"I had similar problems. What worked for me was to uninstall Diego by clicking on Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs and Windows Components then uninstall :
    1. Diego 3.00.024
    2. DK2 DESKey Drivers
    3. FLS-4 Driver Installation
    4. NMP DKU-5 Driver 1.02.001
    With Windows Explorer I deleted the following 3 files:
    1. DK2DRVS.isu
    2. DK2WIN32.dll
    3. DK2WN95.386
    in Windows/System and Windows/System32 folders

I installed Diego without restarting the computer. I did NOT run "necessary software" 1, only "necessary software" 2. I found out that Diego was installing the 3 DK2 files in my Windows/System32 folder because when the crack was run to install into System32 it would ask to overwrite the files and when I ran the "necessary software" to install into System I did not get the overwrite message. I restarted the computer and the program ran and the phone was recognized with no problems. I am running Windows XP Home with SP2 on on old Toshiba laptop (1 gig celeron) and I am using a cheap DKU-2 clone cable. Diego should be used with care as it would be very easy to muck up things. I hope this will work for others as it did for me."
    ---------

Now that you have Diego installed and it recognizes your 6256 do the following. Credit goes to Freddy Flash for perfect instructions on this one, thanks!

1) Click Phone Settings
    2) Find Menu & User Settings
    3) Select Ringtone Settings
    4) Change the option from 1 to 0
    5) Write the settings back to your phone

At this point my phone was stuck in "local mode". Just let it do it's thing for a few minutes. Once the "Local Mode" stops flashing you should be able to turn your phone back on. Once it's restarted you now have the ability to use MP3 and MIDI ring tones!

Good luck and thanks to all the above mentioned for the perfect instructions.
    Last edited by Moderator HF 9; 12-20-2005 at 12:33 AM.

Device(s)
    Motorola Droid Bionic
    Carrier(s)
    PagePlus
    Feedback Score
    will this work with a Nokia 6236i ?? This phone uses the same DKU-2 cable.

I'm still waiting for my cable which I purchased on FleaBay. I will post back results.

thanks

Device(s)
    Apple iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Yes it will. And it's the same PRI that has to be changed from 1 to 0.

Device(s)
    Moto KRZR
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    has anyone been able to download Diego?

Carrier(s)
    USCC
    Feedback Score
    As much as I like the idea of getting out HOW to fix this issue, I think posting a link to the program is a little over the top. Google indexes this forum, and if the boys in black wanted to bust someone for distributing stuff like diego you just gave them the address to go to.
    Unlimited Everything
    2 lines
    ~$190/ month

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ssego
    As much as I like the idea of getting out HOW to fix this issue, I think posting a link to the program is a little over the top. Google indexes this forum, and if the boys in black wanted to bust someone for distributing stuff like diego you just gave them the address to go to.
    The address is all over this forum. Cell phones are one of their main topics of discussion.

Device(s)
    Storm 9530 (x2)
    Carrier(s)
    55% Verizon/45% Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by dak125
    ...you now have the ability to use MP3 and MIDI ring tones!
    Excellent! However, and I've raised this issue before, does this procedure allow you to use an MP3/MIDI ringtone for an individual contact?

IOW, can you assign one particular ringtone to one particular contact OR can you only assign a ringtone to a "group"?

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PriusChat
    Excellent! However, and I've raised this issue before, does this procedure allow you to use an MP3/MIDI ringtone for an individual contact?

IOW, can you assign one particular ringtone to one particular contact OR can you only assign a ringtone to a "group"?
    It appears as though you can only assign an entire group with an MP3 ringtone. That's just the way the phone was designed is what I've gathered. There's no "unlocking" that feature unfortunately.

Device(s)
    Storm 9530 (x2)
    Carrier(s)
    55% Verizon/45% Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    Thanks! I was really hoping for a different answer as the ability to assign ringtones to individual contacts would make this phone just about perfect for my purposes. I love the fact that it has OPP but have become accustomed to assigning ringtones to individual contacts. It's to the point where the lack of that feature is a major issue for me. Oh well........

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by PriusChat
    Thanks! I was really hoping for a different answer as the ability to assign ringtones to individual contacts would make this phone just about perfect for my purposes. I love the fact that it has OPP but have become accustomed to assigning ringtones to individual contacts. It's to the point where the lack of that feature is a major issue for me. Oh well........
    I definitely agree with you. I too got used to that feature with my previous phone. The fact that I can now use MP3 ringtones at all really overshadows the fact that I can't assign different tones to seperate contacts.

Device(s)
    Storm 9530 (x2)
    Carrier(s)
    55% Verizon/45% Vodafone
    Feedback Score
    I agree also. Major, major accomplishment to get mp3 ringtones working, regardless of how they can be assigned. I just can't understand what they were thinking when they designed this phone. I mean, the phone is literally packed with features PLUS uncrippled BT.........and then, well, this.

Device(s)
    Cylon Droid Communicator
    Carrier(s)
    New Caprica Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I feel this thread deserves a sticky.
    Keep all PHONE discussion within the Verizon Phone Discussion sub forum. We will close/move threads without notice if you do not follow the the VZW forum rules. Report inappropriate posts by clicking on the red triangle in the upper right hand corner of any post, or the orange triangle in the bottom left for Premium members.

Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Moderator HF 9
    I feel this thread deserves a sticky.
    I'm speechless . Thanks!

Device(s)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If anyone out there with a little programming knowledge could just capture the commands sent via the DKU-2, a quick and dirty little porgram could be written to simply send the commands Diego sends to the phone to change the firmware setting.

Then a simple little "ringtone unlocker" program would be a lot easier to distribute than a copywritten piece of software thats tricky to get running.
    Hi there. I'm the guy on the other side of the counter. If you're a jerk to me, guess how hard I'm going to try to help you?

Device(s)
    Krave ZN4
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    in regards to the groups capability on this phone..... i read through the manual and it seems that it comes with 5 groups initially. can you RENAME these groups or ADD groups???? i know my current LG can do this so i figure its not the dumbest question - i have something like 8-10 groups on mine right now (although the 6236i i am waiting on is a fairly basic phone)

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast