Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: Introducing 7-Eleven SpeakOut Wireless in Canada

Carrier(s)
    VMC
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mlerner
    Umm no they are using the Rogers network as Fido does but they are a reseller of Fido. In fact, the brochure shows Fido's coverage area.
    Sorry that was what the CS rep told me, he told me he never even heard of Fido. Like I said before it's US based CS so that's no surprise.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    btw people.. you can change the area code. Just call in CS and they'll do it for you.

Feedback Score
    Just to clear up some confusion for you guys... Fido no longer has a network. It was assimilated when Fido was purchased and is now a part of the ROGERS network. Therefore, the 7-11 service is using the ROGERS network, but users may be limited to using a portion of it. Unless of course, a fee is paid to use the "extended coverage" which would allow the use of the entire ROGERS' network.

As long as you have a 7-11 SIM Card, you can use any unlocked GSM phone (You don't even need to phone 7-11 and tell them, just put your SIM card into the new phone). That's the beauty of GSM.

A TDMA phone can no longer be activated on the ROGERS network.

This has been a public service announcement brought to you by the MAD SEEG FOUNDATION. (CDMA is BUNK).

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Device(s)
    Moto G 2nd gen, SE W810i w/K750 back case
    Carrier(s)
    Chat-r
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by AnalogTrail
    Just to clear up some confusion for you guys... Fido no longer has a network. It was assimilated when Fido was purchased and is now a part of the ROGERS network. Therefore, the 7-11 service is using the ROGERS network, but users may be limited to using a portion of it. Unless of course, a fee is paid to use the "extended coverage" which would allow the use of the entire ROGERS' network.
    Yes, there is no Fido network anymore, but there is still a differentiation between the original Fido footprint and the "extended coverage" footprint. "Fido footprint" can be defined as service available through the Rogers network in the coverage area originally offered by Fido's network. "Extended coverage" is of course the rest of the areas covered by Rogers GSM, which is quite huge.

7-11 users, in Alberta and BC at least, are limited to the original Fido footprint. The 7-11 literature has not specified the cost of the extended coverage. So, buyer beware. Otherwise, thumbs up for 7-11!

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogTrail
    CDMA is BUNK.
    RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.
    Yeah, CDMA is bunk. And may I add "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US?"
    Phone history:
    Nokia: 5160i, 6160, 8260, 3390, 5190+analog, 8390, 3595 (x2), 6010, 1100b, 6061 (x3), 7250i, 1112b, 1208b, 2760, 3555, C1-01, C3-00
    Samsung: SGH-F266
    Siemens: A56>C56, M55
    SonyEricsson: T28w, Z200, T226, T290a, Z310a, Z520a>Z525, W710i prototype, W300i, T303a
    Motorola: MicroTAC Lite, StarTAC 6500, V547, W233
    VTech: A700
    Huawei: U1250
    LG: GB250g

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-A920
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    Odd I thought GSM was a version of TDMA cooked up in the 80's? And CDMA was the new better Tech

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by mosquito_R

Yeah, CDMA is bunk. And may I add "ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US?"
    "SOMEONE SET US UP THE BOMB" "MOVE ZIG"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by User451
    Odd I thought GSM was a version of TDMA cooked up in the 80's? And CDMA was the new better Tech
    You thought wrong. GSM was introduced in 1991. It is not a version of TDMA, but it uses the TDMA air interface. The CDMA technology was first used in World War 2.

Device(s)
    Samsung SCH-A920
    Carrier(s)
    Bell
    Feedback Score
    WW2? I believe what you are referring to as CDMA in WW2 is Spread Spectrum Technologies of which there are 2 types DSSS (direct Sequencing) and FHSS (Frequency Hopping). So yes it had it roots in WW2 but was not feasable, until the late 50's, then used by the US military and declassified in the 80's, which has now become CDMA technology based on Spread Spectrum Technology.

In any case for use the use of Cellular Phone networks CDMA is newer

Did a bit of digging, this is not complete by any means

GSM was developed in the 80's and 1st deployed in the 90's, The original GSM group was formed in 1982

There are 3 TDMA technologies "IS-136" aka D-Amps AKA TDMA, which is being Phase out, Iden which Motorola only, and GSM.

TDMA used by the GSM digital cellular system works by dividing a radio frequency into time slots and then allocating slots to multiple calls. In this way, a single frequency can support multiple, simultaneous data channels.

CDMA Code Division Multiple Access

Qualcomm came up with the CDMA Cellular concept in 1988

Because CDMA uses the same frequency (unlike GSM), Call Hand offs to diffent bases are much smoother AKA "soft handoff" than TDMA/GSM "hard hand off" systems

CDMA also has better capacity and is more secure

CDMA offers better Data throughput capabilities, and Better security

From what I've heard even GSM will be moving on over to the more advanced CDMA interface.

Of course it would be better if we could use any phone on any network, but then where would the competetive drive be?

No matter what the future standard will be The future looks good.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Hmmm, I had the Nokia 1100 before and to tell you the truth I liked it better than the V551 that I have now; I just text and call. I just called 711 and it's only $65. I'm going to go pick it up, hopefully I'll be able to use it with my Rogers sim card.

Update: My Rogers Sim Card works with 7-eleven phone...
    Last edited by hotweiss; 01-15-2006 at 03:31 AM.

Device(s)
    HTC Magic
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    WW2? I believe what you are referring to as CDMA in WW2 is Spread Spectrum Technologies of which there are 2 types DSSS (direct Sequencing) and FHSS (Frequency Hopping). So yes it had it roots in WW2 but was not feasable, until the late 50's, then used by the US military and declassified in the 80's, which has now become CDMA technology based on Spread Spectrum Technology.

In any case for use the use of Cellular Phone networks CDMA is newer

Did a bit of digging, this is not complete by any means

GSM was developed in the 80's and 1st deployed in the 90's, The original GSM group was formed in 1982

There are 3 TDMA technologies "IS-136" aka D-Amps AKA TDMA, which is being Phase out, Iden which Motorola only, and GSM.

TDMA used by the GSM digital cellular system works by dividing a radio frequency into time slots and then allocating slots to multiple calls. In this way, a single frequency can support multiple, simultaneous data channels.

Because CDMA uses the same frequency (unlike GSM), Call Hand offs to diffent bases are much smoother AKA "soft handoff" than TDMA/GSM "hard hand off" systems

From what I've heard even GSM will be moving on over to the more advanced CDMA interface.

Of course it would be better if we could use any phone on any network, but then where would the competetive drive be?

There's a reason why 90% of the world uses GSM.

Feedback Score

Spitting out terms and definitions that you copied from Wikipedia won't really help the situation. Hotweiss is right. There's a reason why 90% of the world uses GSM.

Carrier(s)
    Big Gulp
    Feedback Score
    Is the vast, silent majority of cellphone users of all types--CDMA, GSM, T&A, KFC--bored silly yet by yet another "my impersonal geeky technology is better than yours" pissing contest?

Device(s)
    IR GS BL00D Phone X N0 B.efore C.hrist E.ntity.. |nfinite HELLUS™ TnT $pawn + Ted§ Hell Hound TˇTher
    Carrier(s)
    M¤ther Nature !... @SS2MOUTH Death 0f SELFie -> HardWare Opiates
    Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by hotweiss
    In North America CDMA is by far the Most popular protocol & currently offers the Fastest Data speeds & highest security compared to GSM !

Device(s)
    SE T650i
    Carrier(s)
    ROGERS,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hotweiss

yes there is a reason, its not because of sim cards or fancy phones, its not because they can go to Japan and get crazy phones from there. its because thats what was availabe to them at the time and contrary to popular belief they still complain about deficiencys in all those countries. No other reason.

Device(s)
    BB Torch 9800
    Carrier(s)
    Rogers
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by forreal
    Is the vast, silent majority of cellphone users of all types--CDMA, GSM, T&A, KFC--bored silly yet by yet another "my impersonal geeky technology is better than yours" pissing contest?
    yup
    blah blah 10 char limit

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast