Thread: Considering Net10 - Good or bad choice for me?

Phones
    Nokia 2125i (CDMA)
    Motorola i450 (iDEN)
    Carriers
    MetroPCS (Unlimited voice)
    Feedback Score

Question Considering Net10 - Good or bad choice for me?

I currently have T-Mo ToGo with a Nokia 6010, and have made it the Gold Rewards level.

However, I plan to take a long drive at some point in the future, from CA to FL - In the only roadtrip I've done, from NM to CA, my T-Mo ToGo had signal maybe 5% of the time. That was frustrating.

As far as I can tell, Net10 will have far better coverage, at the same per minute and text messaging rates that I'm used to. For the 5 months that I've had T-Mo, I've averaged about 300 minutes per month. I didn't send or receive many text messages, maybe 20 or less in 5 months.

Of course caller ID, voice mail, and free long distance, and free roaming are required.

Also, is there anything I should be aware of with Net10? For example, I know that some prepaid carriers (used to?) deduct minutes when people leave you voicemails.

I'm considering a factory serviced Nokia 1100 from Net10's website, or a similar/better deal if I can find one off of eBay or locally.

Thanks!

Phones
    Nokia 3220 (T-Mobile), Nokia 6010 (T-Mobile)
    Kyocera Oystr (Virgin Mobile)
    Nokia 1221 (Tracfone), Nokia 2600 (Tracfone)
    Carriers
    T-Mobile
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    you seem like the average Net10 candidate. you use your phone enough, and with the more laxed expire dates on the low value card, it may be for you.

Phone
    iPhone 3GS
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    For someone that actually uses their pre-pay phone, Net10 is one of the best deals around at only 10 cents per minute. Of course you already have that with TMobile To go, however, Net10 allows free roaming onto any GSM network.....at least this is the case with Net10 accounts that are set up using Cingular's network. I don't know how it works if you get a TMobile SIM for your net10 phone. If so, you get a smaller coverage area and I don't know if you can roam off it....as is the case with a Cingular SIM.

So far, I've used my Net10 handset in my Cingular home area. In addition, I've roamed on Rogers in Canada and Unicel in Vermont......all without additional roaming charges.

Go to Net-10's web site and put in your zip code to see what the coverage area looks like. You should instantly be able to tell if your home area is Cingular or T-Mobile. Also, there are areas on the Net 10 coverage map such as Northeastern, Vermont where it says no coverage, yet there is coverage through Unicel.

Phone
    Nokia 2126i
    Carriers
    Tracfone
    Feedback Score
    I think you'll have to buy another phone to use on Net10 because they have their own special setup.

Phone
    LG 800G - LG 500G
    Carrier
    Tracfone - Net10
    Feedback Score
    One other way to tell whether a Tracfone/Net10 phone has a Cingular or T-Mobile SIM is to look at the model number on the box...phones with a Cingular SIM end in P4 and phones with a T-Mobile SIM end in P5. For obvious reasons, you want one with a Cingular SIM since you'll have a much larger coverage area. Cingular SIMs will roam on T-Mobile, but not vice versa. Or so I've been told...

Phones
    Note3, Note2, iiPad3, Nexus 5, Moto X,
    evo3d,gnex,atrix,e71,v3xx,s56
    Carrier
    vzw, att, tmo, RingPlus, lyca, tru, ekit
    Feedback Score
    Net10/Tracfone work just like the regular plans of the underlying carrier. If the regular plan will roam, so will Tracfone/Net10. If the regular plan will not roam (which is the case in many urban areas where Cingular and T-Mobile both provide service) then Tracfone/Net10 will not roam either.

If you buy Net10 on-line, make sure you enter a zipcode where Cingular is the underlying carrier (you can tell by the coverage area when you check the coverage).

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Huawei E1831 (webConnect Rocket)
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (LGE-PLS225/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.7.e.1.101 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

By the way, voice mail deposits do not cost anything with net10. I hope someone has not just said that...cell phone screens are small...:-)
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Phones
    Motorola A630
    Nokia 6800
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

Net10 vs T-Mobile

I have a job travelling the US and Canada. I was using T-Mobile to go and it was fine on most of the main highways. One of my recent trips took me across AZ, NM, TX and I didn't have any phone at all. Picked up a Net10 phone and the difference is amazing. Coverage all over the place and the price is right. Got back to Canada and it even works up here. Cheaper than using my Rogers phone even. I was told that the phone uses both T-Mobile and Cingular networks, and the coverage should be the same regardless. The coverage is what the show on the coverage map and it won't change if you get a wrong telephone number.
    Mel Long
    www.knifemaker.ws
    1-877-635-2887

Feedback Score
    From my experience, stay away! If you use a moderate amount of data, then expect to be but cut off! Not even throttled like other MVNO's.

I just cancelled my Net 10 after 23 days. The service and data speed was great during that time. I had used about 960MB by day 20 and then they simply cut my 4G internet off without notice! I waited on hold for a minimum of 20 minutes for several calls before getting a semi-competent person to tell me I had to call a different # during business hours. They finally reconnected my internet the next day, only to have it be cut off again in the evening; I didn't even have a chance to use it because I was home. The same thing happened again the next day! But the third time they kept transferring me to a recording explaining that you can't stream music or video's etc., and then it hangs up on you. Un-freaking-believable bull to have to deal with from someone that claims to provide "unlimited data" (not that I really expected that). One person I talked to said the data cap was 1.5GB, but I was in do danger of reaching it. I told them before that I didn't use it for any of the prohibited purposes, and they said okay and turned it back on temporarily.

You have been warned. That company is a total piece of crap (at least for what I was paying for) and for whatever reason they don't care about their customers in the least. I really don't get why because it's not like they are the size of Wal-mart or something. I''m sure they aren't making such sick profits that they can afford to turn people away carelessly, yet that's what they did here.

I just switched to Good2Go and things are great so far. They are much more transparent about their internet limits.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MrLong View Post
    I have a job travelling the US and Canada. I was using T-Mobile to go and it was fine on most of the main highways. One of my recent trips took me across AZ, NM, TX and I didn't have any phone at all. Picked up a Net10 phone and the difference is amazing. Coverage all over the place and the price is right. Got back to Canada and it even works up here. Cheaper than using my Rogers phone even. I was told that the phone uses both T-Mobile and Cingular networks, and the coverage should be the same regardless. The coverage is what the show on the coverage map and it won't change if you get a wrong telephone number.
    it is NOT recemmended that you continue to use your net10 phone in canada because
    net10 is not to be used outside the united states, and they will terminate your service.

Phones
    Motorola A630
    Nokia 6800
    Carriers
    Rogers AT&T
    Feedback Score

This was a long time ago

Quote Originally Posted by october262 View Post
    it is NOT recemmended that you continue to use your net10 phone in canada because
    net10 is not to be used outside the united states, and they will terminate your service.
    I can't even remember posting this, but since I did, I've gone to T-Mobile pay as you go, and it will let me use it from Canada, though it would be a bit pricey. They pick up on most carriers and the service isn't too bad. I like the pay as you go plan because after you give them $100 your minutes stay active for a whole year. The trouble is, in Montana, there's no service near where I live and they won't send phones or sim cards to addresses where there is not service. I've tried to order it and send it to my sister in Spokane, but they don't except Canadian credit cards. I'll have to wait till I get down to a kiosk to get something.

Things have changed a lot from when I first posted, including coverage areas and data. I'll be looking into getting data for my iPad if I should travel more in the US. I think T-Mobile has a deal for that as well.