Thread: What happens if you put an activated Net10 SIM Card into an unlocked GSM phone?

Phones
    Nokia 2125i (CDMA)
    Motorola i450 (iDEN)
    Carriers
    MetroPCS (Unlimited voice)
    Feedback Score

What happens if you put an activated Net10 SIM Card into an unlocked GSM phone?

Since Net10 phones are so basic - I'm wondering what would happen if I put an activated Net10 SIM Card into another unlocked GSM phone, such as my T-Mo ToGo Nokia 6010. (Which is still a basic phone, but it's better than the Nokia 1100..)

Thanks!

Carrier
    Platinumtel
    Feedback Score
    wont work. search 4 ever b\c the timer is on the phone and if it worked you would have free everything

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    What about switching SIMs between two Net10 phones to change how much airtime you have? I guess what it comes down to is whether the SIM is locked to the provider through special firmware and SIM (which is what I think) or if the SIM is locked to the IMEI.

Carrier
    Platinumtel
    Feedback Score
    i think that will work but it wont change the bal on the phone.

IE

Phone A 100 min
    Phone B 40 min

move sim from a to b you will have 40 min not 140.
    Need to call them to xfer them.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by haydeno
    i think that will work but it wont change the bal on the phone.

IE

Phone A 100 min
    Phone B 40 min

move sim from a to b you will have 40 min not 140.
    Need to call them to xfer them.
    Right. I didn't think it would add the minutes, but if you were to switch phones with someone the minutes wouldn't follow the SIM.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Huawei E1831 (webConnect Rocket)
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    Nope. The SIM is locked to the IME1. Won't work in a different phone.
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score

Question

Ok, I had the very same question, but if you say that it can't be done, putting a Net10 sim card in any unlocked GSM phone, then can you put a active Net10 sim card in a Tracfone phone? Lets say for example the Nokia 1100, which is sold for both providers. I have seen them in stores, being sold side by side, and the price difference for each provider is crazy. They want $19.99 for the Nokia 1100 for Tracfone, but Net10 wants $49.99 for the same exact phone, so explain that to mean. I understand that the minutes are alot cheaper with Net10 versus Tracfone, but my question still stands.... can you buy that cheaper Nokia 1100 from Tracfone and use it with an active Net10 Sim card? I mean, I have read that the firmware for both providers are the same so what would be the difference? I've read thru sooooo many different forums, and for some reason I haven't found the answer to that question yet. Also, is there no way to download the firmware needed for Net10 so maybe you could use any unlocked GSM phone with an active Net10 SIM card? I mean if Net10 is on a GSM network, couldn't you just unlock a GSM phone and then put the firmware on it for Net10? or am I just crazy thinking that?

Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Net10 tries to make more money by inflating phone prices.
    I believe your going to have to use a Net10 SIM Card, as the Net10 SIM is going to be locked to the IMEI (unique code) of the phone it's sold with.
    You can't just unlock the SIM card, because that's far out of the scope of any of our abilities -- and if you unlock the phone, it still won't work because the SIM will only register with the proper IMEI (phone identification, which an unlocked GSM phone would not have)

So, in summary No, you cannot use a Net10 SIM with a phone other than the purchased phone. . Sorry for not being clear in the first place.

---to the OP, I never meant to imply you were stealing airtime, it was unclearly worded. I apologize sincerely.---
    Last edited by vermontcellboy; 12-28-2005 at 11:47 AM.
    -- none currently---

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    wait, let me make one thing clear, I am not trying to steal airtime. I am currently a tracfone user, and once I realized that Net10 came out, and I saw their price on the airtime cards, versus tracfone, I realized I was getting ripped off. So I was merely trying to find out if since Net10 is basically Tracfone, why I couldn't just use a new unactivated Nokia 1100 phone from tracfone on Net10? do you follow me? or even since Net10 is on a GSM network, why you couldn't unlock a GSM phone and use your Net10 SIM card in it with of course the proper firmware installed in the unlocked phone????

Phone
    Nokia E71, iPhone 4s
    Carrier
    StraightTalk
    Feedback Score
    apology accepted. I guess I was just hoping it would work. I just figured since Net10 is basically really Tracfone, but under a different name that the firmware would be the same, since they are selling identical phones for both services. Oh well I thought it was worth a shot, considering the difference in cost of the airtime cards. I am not giving up yet though........ Someone out there will figure out how to do this, I'm sure. And if I find out how, I will be sure to share it with you all!

Phones
    HTC Dream - Unlocked/Rooted
    Sony Ericson onboard 3G data card - Unlocked
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Your absolutely best bet is to try and call Net10 and see if you can get them to force the IMEI through on your account and then enable the counter on your phone (assuming your model can even do it). IMHO, it's just worth buying the phone, and not fussing with this.
    If you really expect an interesting signature, look elsewhere ...
    - AT&T *really* amazed me, but their spotty 3G network lost me.