Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 149

Thread: An Open letter to those who PM me for help!!

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozz
    What in the world could I have done to cause "Messaging" to drop off the menu all together on my Motorola E815? I did a seem edit to change the Verizon Wireless banner to my name, and I loaded the seem that changes the Phone ID String. I can still receive text messages but I can only send them through MPT.
    So when you press the menu button, you don't see Messaging? Do you still show 9 icons there?

    Is messaging still an option under Menu -> Settings -> Personalize -> Home Screen -> Home Keys... try for one of up/down/left/right or the soft keys.... do you see it?

    As always... try un-doing what you did. You did keep backups of your original un-edited seems, right?

    The 9 icons of the main menu are controlled by the MMA_UCP/MMA_DCP files... In addition, what those icons are/look like are controlled by the SKIN...
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!


    New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

    Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    So when you press the menu button, you don't see Messaging? Do you still show 9 icons there?

    Is messaging still an option under Menu -> Settings -> Personalize -> Home Screen -> Home Keys... try for one of up/down/left/right or the soft keys.... do you see it?

    As always... try un-doing what you did. You did keep backups of your original un-edited seems, right?

    The 9 icons of the main menu are controlled by the MMA_UCP/MMA_DCP files... In addition, what those icons are/look like are controlled by the SKIN...
    I've only got 7 icons under the Main Menu. Which was not the case before the two seem edits I did.

    I went to Menu -> Settings -> Personalize -> Home Screen -> Home Keys, and Messaging is still selected as my down shortcut on the soft key. However, it just appears as "Message Center" now and the only options for it are to "Erase Messages" and "Message Settings". I can't compose text messages at all. Even when I try doing it by bringing up a contact and messaging from that screen. The whole Messaging feature of the phone is gone and reduced to merely the "Message Center". When I try to look for Messaging again from the shortcut window, it's nowhere to be found - but it is still selected from when before I somehow lost the feature.

    The only two changes I made to the seems (since losing Messaging off of the menu) were changing the External Banner and the Phone ID String (that allows MPT to view it as an "M" model). I saved and reloaded the one for the External Banner, however I neglected to save the original for Phone ID String.
    Last edited by Bozz; 06-01-2007 at 07:29 AM.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Columbus
    Posts
    624
    Device(s)
    LG VX9400
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    While my signature states... blah blah blah
    No offense dude, but I wonder how many people are like me that DON'T read signatures (or have them turned off) because they're just too friggin big?! I mean, yours is large, but not the biggest by comparison to others.

    Line after line after line of every carrier and phone you've had since you were born, pictures of Nintendo Wiis, fancy macro shots of phones, links to ebay feedback, stupid anime cartoon characters, car pictures, stuffed animal pictures, etc. I mean, is any of this stuff even useful? What's the point?

    Just look at this example, this is the kind of annoying signature that I think makes people turn them off, or ignore them all together. 5% actual post, 95% annoying graphics and other miscellaneous, useless junk:



    Maybe people don't see that link in your sig because they're so turned off to "reading" sigs these days because they're so obnoxious.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0

    Unhappy

    So no one knows how to get the "Messaging" icon back on my phone, huh?

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    After reading I'm trying this....iI have a metro pcs V3M .I have the data cable i know where all the links are for software but I haven't been able to find a link or something telling/showing how to put mp3 ring tones to my phone, I'm sorry for asking a question thats been probably asked a 100 time's ....but someone please help

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    Well I know better than to read your guide Mark the next time I want to modify my phone. I did a seem edit to change the Verizon Wireless banner to my name, and I loaded the seem that changes the Phone ID String from your site. The Messaging and Security icons disappeared right after. I changed back to the original seems on the phone and the icons are still nowhere to be found. I read through your entire site, patiently waited around in hopes you responded to this thread or my (just one)PM but I've gotten no response. You do have a disclaimer so that absolves you of any legal responsibility, but as an enthusiasts who like to get the most of their purchases it would have been nice, as one to the next, to get some help. How can the community grow or improve if guys like you just ignore those of us still learning?

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    6,479
    Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    You are really barking up the wrong tree dude. Mark_V has spent literally hundreds of hours to help others get the most out of their phones.

    If you really want help then YOU need to to make the effort to comply with his clearly expressed wishes and not PM him but rather take it upon yourself to make a thread that clearly describes all the relevant details of your problem. Then you have the best chance of being helped, not just by Mark_V but the entire VZW Moto community.

    Instead you post in a thread that is clearly NOT intended to be a help thread but a request for people not to do exactly what you are doing.

    All you have done is set yourself up to be, at the least ignored, or in this case castigated for bad behavior.

    To say nothing of insulting the single most active and helpful person on this forum.

    Congratulations!

    Happy 4th of July!
    kbman

    Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

    If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

    Read more, post less.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Northern Dutchess County
    Posts
    477
    Device(s)
    Apple iPhone 3GS
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozz
    Well I know better than to read your guide Mark the next time I want to modify my phone. I did a seem edit to change the Verizon Wireless banner to my name, and I loaded the seem that changes the Phone ID String from your site. The Messaging and Security icons disappeared right after. I changed back to the original seems on the phone and the icons are still nowhere to be found. I read through your entire site, patiently waited around in hopes you responded to this thread or my (just one)PM but I've gotten no response. You do have a disclaimer so that absolves you of any legal responsibility, but as an enthusiasts who like to get the most of their purchases it would have been nice, as one to the next, to get some help. How can the community grow or improve if guys like you just ignore those of us still learning?
    If you can't follow directions, maybe you should be included in the group of people who shouldn't attempt to mod their phones. This isn't cut out for everyone, and apparently you're one of them.
    My Phones

    Apple iPhone 3GS (AT&T)
    Blackberry Curve (Sprint)
    Sprint Merlin EVDO Card Rev A W/ GPS

    Amp'd Mobile Red V3M Flashed to VZW (Wifes)


    Retired Equipment
    Verizon Novatel EVDO Card (retired)
    Samsung A670 VZW X2
    VZW Moto V325i
    VZW V3M Silver ViVO Flash, GIN, WAP, EVDO, MMS all workign on VZW.
    VZW E815 Running Bell Flash. Fully functional
    K1M VIVO Flash, GIN, WAP, EVDO, MMS on VZW(Wifes)
    Moto Stock V3M Grey Running DST
    Sprint Moto V9M

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    Posts
    14,269
    Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Bozz
    Well I know better than to read your guide Mark the next time I want to modify my phone. I did a seem edit to change the Verizon Wireless banner to my name, and I loaded the seem that changes the Phone ID String from your site. The Messaging and Security icons disappeared right after. I changed back to the original seems on the phone and the icons are still nowhere to be found. I read through your entire site, patiently waited around in hopes you responded to this thread or my (just one)PM but I've gotten no response. You do have a disclaimer so that absolves you of any legal responsibility, but as an enthusiasts who like to get the most of their purchases it would have been nice, as one to the next, to get some help. How can the community grow or improve if guys like you just ignore those of us still learning?
    Not sure where to start here...

    1. This is my HOBBY... NO Where do I PROMISE HELP TO ANYONE. Not sure why you should feel entitled to it. Nor do I say that I can answer EVERY QUESTION or fix every possible problem. Not sure why you think I should be able to give you a solution.

    2. This is my HOBBY... No where do I say I will be here 100% of the time and able to help at a moments notice.. Right now, for example... my PAYING JOB, I am working 70hr weeks... Plus I want to have a social life.. that doesn't leave me much time to sit on these boards and help the entire community and fix every problem.

    3. Phone hacking is DANGEROUS and not for everyone. One mis-step and you can hose your phone! that is why I have the warnings. I can't watch over your sholder to make sure you are following 100% accurately and doing everything right.

    4. This thread is NOT the place to ask for help. Either post in a thread where the topic is similar to your problem, or start your own thread, posting all details, version numbers, etc...

    5. If done properly, the Phone ID string, and the Banner Seems will NOT impact icons of the main menu.

    6. Everything I've written on my guides, has been tested and works on my phones. I don't post it until I know it wont fry MY phone. That is all I claim. I don't claim they will work for everyone, with every phone. Guides I did not write, like because I don't have that phone, I credit the person who did write it, and make mention that I could not test it.

    7. When writing my guides, I include notes, and tips on where someone might run into problems... why? because its something that gave me some trouble, or had people ask about.

    8. My guides include notes and tips to also help people understand why you are doing something, and what impact it might have... unlike some other pages which give say do this, do that, then this... with no reasons why... I do this so you learn, rather than just going throught the motions.

    Then again.. You are the only person to report doing these two things and getting that symptom... In fact, I don't recall that ever seeing that symptom reported before... My instructions that have been up for how long now?? and used how many times?? BUT since you had a problem it must be due to my fault, and my faulty guides? and its my fault you are getting no help?

    Forgive me for being skeptical of those who say "I followed the instructions to a T and they broke my phone" or "don't work"... Example... just read the thread discussing the Monster2 process and notice all the posts saying "I followed the guide to a T, but reading MMS file with PST fails with message 'Feature Not Supported'..." turns out they DID NOT follow the guide to a T, becuase they were using PST v7.23 when PST v7.25 has always been listed in the pre-reqs... PST v7.25 is needed for this reason. Or for the MONSTER1 process, people did not feel like loading all the seems (because there were so many and had to be done one at a time), that the process calls for and then saying "it doesn't work"...

    And I'm skeptical of those saying "I only did this..., nothing more..." only because of how many times I've found out later that they really did do other stuff.

    I have refered MANY people to the process of Seem Editing.. and Changing the Banner seems... and have NEVER had these problems when the process is followed.

    I have seen people try to do the FT for MPT edit (seem 2742/offset 6A/bit0)... and say "now my clock is messed up"... and "I didn't do anything but 6a/bit0.... only to find... they accidently checked bit 0 at offset 0. But of course.. my guide was at fault.

    I have seen people say "I'm trying to do the FT for MPT EDIT on my V3M, but I click LOAD FROM PHONE and nothing happens..." only to find they followed the PICTURE of the guide and have Seem 041A filled in which is for the V710, rather than 2742 which is for the E815, V3C, V3M, etc.. like the TEXT of the guide says... But hey, my guide is at fault.


    Btw, what SECURITY icon on the main menu??? The 9 Icons on the Verizon E815 main menu are.... Media Gallery, Contacts, Recent Calls, Messaging, Get It Now, Mobile Web, Settings, Tools and Phone Info.

    Security is burried under SETTINGS....

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    35
    Feedback Score
    0
    I saw a few questions being lobbed and answered so I'm guilty of doing the same thing in this thread. I'm also guilty of sending a PM about the problem, instead of a link to the thread with the problem. Now, can we put that behind us and since we're already here focus on the real problem instead of snide comments? You guys assume I'm like the however many other people out there who didn't read the guide and ran into some problems. The reason you can deduce that about other people is based on the symptoms of those (often repeated) problems. Mark, you said you've referred MANY people to the guide and no one else has had this problem. So how then, are you all accusing me of doing the same thing wrong as everyone else when no one else has had this problem?

    You all can't assume just because I didn't post my question properly, that therefore I didn't do the steps involved in the seem edit properly. Two different circumstances, two different consequences. I didn't post the question in a new thread because I thought it was a quick throwaway question, I saw other people doing it, and at most the consequence is being told to post a new thread. Now however in contrast, if I didn't read Mark's guide properly, and I would brick my phone. Now I might have been careless about where I posted the question, but I'm not going to be careless about a phone I spent a good bit of change on. When it comes to my phone I'm completely OCD when it comes to modifying it. I spent a good deal of time and money pining for the phone, and the last thing I'm going to do when I get it is just skip a few steps out of impatience.

    I never had any problems modifying it until I got to the two seem edits I performed. I did a seem edit to change the Verizon Wireless banner to my name, and I loaded the seem that changes the Phone ID String. Turned the phone off, took out the battery, when I turned it back on it was missing the "Messaging" icon from the Main Menu. I remember there were 9 items on the Main Menu, but I can't remember what the other one was. I incorrectly assumed it was the "Security" icon.

    Anyway, I apologize if I came off as a jerk or an *******. You all are right when you say the guy is very helpful, and I'm not questioning that at all. Everything else I've done to my phone has been great. I made the mistake of every other noob by posting in here for help and that's my fault.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Girard, PA
    Posts
    1,313
    Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry Storm 9500
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    0
    Have you tried to reload the seems you were to back up before modifying them as per the guides?

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    6,479
    Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    Here's a few words that might help you get a better response.

    Humility

    Contrition

    Remorse

    Apology

    No, I am not being snide, nor was I in my earlier post.

    You don't seem to "get it".

    If I were you I would start over, literally and figuratively.

    Make another thread.

    In that thread you will want to include significantly more detail about exactly what you did, what versions of all software and drivers were used and all other relevent details that you can muster.

    This isn't a "throw away" question.

    Mark_V has not seen this issue before and doesn't have a pat, simple answer for you, nor do I. (Yes, I discussed this with him)

    If you do want an immediate, one shot solution then find the VZW e815 monster file and flash your phone with that and you will be back to factory condition, a somewhat radical step but you asked for it.

    There... not that you deserved it given your attitude.

    You have a good bit to learn about human nature apparently.

    I see you added a paragraph at the bottom so I'll add my own edit here...good luck!
    Last edited by kbman; 07-06-2007 at 09:10 PM.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1
    Feedback Score
    0
    I am a noob at this. I have a question about Bluegrass
    Cellular, a small provider in KY. I've seen most of the flashes for vzw and other companies, I have a motorola v3mm cdma phone and was wondering if any flash packs would work for Bluegrass, I would like to have java on my phone instead of brew, i would also like to be able to use my transflash card slot thanks, ps i tried a couple of techs for a copy of my phones firmware and a no go. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Home of Little League
    Posts
    1,426
    Device(s)
    VU204-E815
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon (sigh!)
    Feedback Score
    0
    any flash (following instructions carefully) should work for that model of the phone that the flash is designed for (and I repeat, should, since we all know so well that the last verizon flash really caused a lot of problems). so, taking your v3mm and flashing it to Alltel, Vivo, or any other carrier will still allow it to work on Bluegrass.

    BUT!

    flashing to a different carrier's firmware will set up the phone as if it were to be connected to their network. so data, mms, PRL's will be for their network and will have to be updated or changed by hand. if you have an over the air programming function like verizon, you can try it but there would be no guarantee it would work. you can try using Mark's monster1 or monster2 pages to back up and restore the files we would normally use for Verizon, but there will be no guarantees that it will put the phone back in 100% operation for your carrier.

    And, if you don't have your carrier's flash to go back to if all else fails, you will basically have a bricked or partially functional phone.

    where's the spellchecker?
    The new way to nano~surf

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    43
    Device(s)
    HTC Eris
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    0
    hey guys-
    i got myself a new Verizon z6tv about a week ago and i really want to get games on it. I AM able to get it connected to MSU, but whenever i try to start motomidman, it freezes. When i try to read the phone in P2K, P2K works perfectly for me, and MSU connects...i dont know what the problem could be with midman. I read Mark_Ventures brilliant Verizon Razr2 V9m seem editing page, but i still dont understand 100% how to edit the java seem, and if it will even work. When i try to load the seem from the computer into the "P2Kseem" program, that freezes also and causes p2k itself to freeze. can someone please assist me with this? i CANT live without games on my phone haha...i just switched from nextel where i had 30+ games on my phone

    thanks alot guys

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Bookmarks