Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: I wrote a V3c RAZR PC-Phone OBEX & Bluetooth tutorial

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

I wrote a V3c RAZR PC-Phone OBEX & Bluetooth tutorial

If anyone is interested, I wrote a connection tutorial "for dummies" style for my mother for her phone. I know many people are very confused on how to get OBEX working fully, and this tutorial is very easy to follow with pictures and everything.

http://www.puargs.net/?page_id=26

If you like it, forward it to someone who needs it!

Feedback is appreciated, I plan on extending tutorials to other areas of the phone.

Moderator Edit
    I copy and pasted your tutorial here to make it easier for everyone. PM if you would like to make any changes
    Moderator HF 9

Bluetooth on a V3c RAZR
    Ok, so you’ve heard you can get files like MP3’s, pictures, movies, or otherwise on your RAZR, but you have no idea how to do it, and you also have no idea what the “lingo” is. Here goes. We’ll start with a short list of terms that you may have run across in forums or other places, and you can refer to this glossary when reading through the rest of my tutorial. The glossary is set up in a “for dummies” format- first you will get the technical description in parentheses, followed by a “what this means to you” definition.

Bluetooth - (A high speed, short range communications standard, fully extensible. Allows for on-the-fly addition of devices, very adaptable.) - A very popular method of wirelessly connecting (what are usually) portable devices.

OBEX - (Object Exchange Protocol) - The method the phone uses to communicate to the PC wirelessly over Bluetooth signals.

Hardware Signature - This is a unique identifier or “name” given to every device, which is normally hidden and given to the device by the manufacturer. It is a long sequence of numbers and letters, and usually cannot be changed by the user. This helps in keeping connections secure.

Bonding/Pairing - When you want two devices to communicate via Bluetooth, they need to “pair” or “bond” to each other first. This is usually accomplished by means of a user-inputted password, and then verification of a hardware signature (see above) in order to provide a secure, strong connection.

DUN - (Dial Up Networking) - Remember how you used to use a modem to dial up a phone number and then you’d get those annoying noises, and then you could crawl the web? Well, many people still do that. Believe it or not, you can use your V3c RAZR as a modem and do that when you’re on the go, if you have your laptop with you.

============================================

Alright, so. You want to hook your phone up to your computer and do all these fun little things and transform your phone into a toy? Good. I did too. The problem is, if you’re reading all these “tutorials” online, they’re not written for normal people. They’re written for someone who knows what the hell they’re doing. So I’ll try to help you out. With this tutorial, you’ll be able to do the following:

Put MP3’s or other sounds on your phone and play them either as songs or use them as ringers.
    Put images on your phone in order to use them as backgrounds or otherwise.
    Transfer images or sounds or movies TO your PC so you don’t have to pay for sending them to yourself. (Stupid Verizon)
    Use your phone as a modem to get the internet on your PC anywhere at any time (Charges *may* apply, I’ll explain later)
    Use your phone as a fax machine when connected to your PC.

These are the things you can do with the wireless Bluetooth connection. You can NOT edit seems, or toggle hidden programming on or off your phone with this connection. I might write a tutorial for that later.

============================================

1) If your computer does not have one built in, go out and buy a Bluetooth “dongle”. This is a little gizmo that goes into a USB slot on your computer, and allows you to transmit signals between your PC and your phone.This is the one I have.

2) Install the Bluetooth Dongle. If your Dongle came with a CD, INSTALL THE SOFTWARE, don’t just use Windows’ drivers. They usually mess up. If it didn’t come with a CD (like mine), go to the manufacturer’s website, go to the support section, and find the appropriate drivers for your Dongle. It’s not that hard.
    **Quick nerdy side note (ignore it if you don’t understand it)- if you are using a multilingual version of Windows and have it set to a secondary language for Unicode programs to run properly, it will install the new Bluetooth section of Windows in whatever Unicode default language you have it set to. This was a problem for me. I read Japanese so I have Windows set up to allow non-unicode programs (like AIM) to run in Japanese mode, allowing me to write in Japanese in all programs. However, I do prefer English for technical parts of Windows, because I can’t always read every new Kanji I come across. If you are in the same situation, be sure to change your Unicode default language to English BEFORE you install, and then change it back after the install is complete, otherwise you’ll be like me and have to reinstall the whole damn thing later.**

3) Restart Windows. Even if it says you don’t have to, do it. JUST DO IT. It takes like 2 minutes and could possibly clear up about 30 minutes of frustration later. Always restart when installing something like that. It just works.

4) Ok, you should now have a new little section in your “My Computer” called “My Bluetooth Places”.

Double click it, and it will open up. It may say “No devices found” or something like this. This is normal.

5) Open up your RAZR phone, go to Menu -> Settings & Tools -> Connections -> Bluetooth -> Setup. Alternatively, you can also just press down on your main phone screen, and select Setup. First, change your Power to “ON”, and then click “Find Me”. It will give you a message about being “discoverable” for 60 seconds.

6) Now, within 60 seconds, click “Search for devices in range” on the left side of your PC screen. (If you do not have this tab on the left side of your screen, click here for an alternate location to find this option.

—–NOTE—–
    If you’re unable to open “My Bluetooth Places” at all to even access this point in the tutorial, chances are your adapter is not properly installed. It may not properly be inserted, or the drivers may not have worked. Try jiggling the dongle first (keep it simple!), but then try reinstalling it or using updated drivers from the manufacturer’s website. I can’t help you here, but chances are if you’re encountering problems at this point, your manufacturer will help you install it. Check their website for a knowledge base or technical chat help.
    —————

—–ADDITION TO NOTE—–
    Sometimes the problem is that you are using Microsoft’s drivers. Click here to read my mini-tutorial to determine if this is the case.

—————

7) Your phone should appear on the right. If you haven’t changed your phone name, it should say like Motorola Phone or something like that. I’ve named my phone Puargs. In order to “pair”, or “bond” your phone to your PC, you need to right click your phone, and click “Pair Device”.

8) Now it will ask you for a pin number. It’s asking you to MAKE UP a pin number. I usually use 1234 or 1111 or whatever is easy for me at that time. The REASON it is asking you for this pin number is for security purposes- your phone will ask you in a moment if you want to bond with that device, and you must supply that SAME pin number- this makes it so that people walking around at random cannot just connect to your phone out of the blue and steal your pictures. This a security measure. Just put in any old pin, and press OK.

9) Now after you press OK, look back at your phone. It should have beeped at you and asked you “Do you want to bond with COMPUTERNAME?” Select YES, and then put in the same code you just supplied to your computer. After you press OK, the phone and the computer will be bonded.

—–NOTE—–
    For some people, the phone-PC connection will now instantly work. For other people (including myself), you may have to wait upwards of ~1 minute for the phone to fully work. If you get error messages after trying to open folders on your phone, just WAIT a few minutes, and it’ll work itself out.

————–

10) You can now explore your phone! Double click on your phone icon and you should be presented with three new icons: Dial-Up Networking Gateway, Handsfree Voice Gateway, and OBEX File Transfer.

Chances are, you wanted to add MP3’s to your phone or transfer audio or pictures. Open your OBEX File Transfer folder, and you should be presented with 6 new folders. The ones you’re interested in are “audio”, “picture”, and “video”. Adding audio files to the audio folder will allow you to use them as ringtones or listen to them as music. You can find any pictures you take on your phone in the picture folder, and you can also transfer pictures into this folder if you’d like to use them as backgrounds. The video folder is where you’ll find any “FLIX” that you take on your phone. You can also transfer properly formatted video into this folder to view on your phone (that’s a whole different tutorial though).

—–NOTE—–
    The “ringtones” folder is altogether useless to you for most purposes. Putting audio files into that folder will, in most if not all cases, not allow you to use them as ringtones. Ignore it and just use the “audio” folder instead.

—————

If you’re interested in DUN, I’m going to assume you know how to set up a Dial Up connection normally. It’s very similar to set up for your phone, you just right click “Dial Up Networking Gateway” after connecting to your phone, and select Properties. Click “Configure…”, and you will be presented with a normal Dial Up modem configuration box. Configure it like you would any other regular modem by putting in your phone number and password and whatnot. Then press OK and go back to your phone’s main page. Right click “Dial Up Networking Gateway” once again and click “Connect Dial-Up Networking”. A dialog box will pop up and your computer will use it as a 14.4K (or higher) modem!! You’re all set to be online anywhere in the U.S.!

—–NOTE—–
    If it gives you an error and says “Service Not Available” after right clicking your “Dial Up Networking Gateway”, or if your gateway is missing altogether, simply turn off your phone and then turn it back on again. Pair it back up with your computer again, and the option should be there. Many people including myself have experienced problems if the phone has been on for an extended period of time, but if you reboot the phone, all problems should magically be solved.

—————

If you’re wondering about being charged for using DUN, I can tell you from experience that there is a way to use it without being charged anything. If you use your own third-party dial up ISP (in my case, I have a free dial-up number I can call from my university), you will only be charged for a voice call, since it is only using voice. If you use this after 9PM or on weekends, this is a free call and therefore free internet. If you choose to use one of Verizon’s premium data services instead of using actual Dial-Up to a third party network, you are therefore subject to Verizon’s [over]charges.

I hope this helps!
    Last edited by Moderator HF 9; 01-08-2006 at 12:14 AM.

Feedback Score
    Wow, great tutorial. I can't seem to put any audio in the audio folder, it says its read only or full, or some crap like that. Pictures work fine. I heard that audio has to be in .mid format. Is this true? And how would I change it? The audio I have now is .mp3.

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Audio can be .mp3 if you want, (.mid, .wav and a few others also work) any size as long as it doesn't fill up your phone. If you want to check how much space you have left on your phone, go to "Get it now" main menu and click "info" (right soft key), then click "System Information". It may be that you have no space left on your phone at the moment, so that's why you can't transfer any files. Try backing up your pictures onto your computer and deleting them off your phone and then transferring any mp3s you want to your phone.

You can use a good audio editing program like Audacity (it's free) to set the mp3 to mono and cut it to a shorter length so that you can fit more onto your phone. There are many threads on this subject, just look them up. I might make a tutorial on it later.

Carrier(s)
    G'zOne Type-V
    Feedback Score

good job

Quote Originally Posted by puargs
    If anyone is interested, I wrote a connection tutorial "for dummies" style for my mother for her phone. I know many people are very confused on how to get OBEX working fully, and this tutorial is very easy to follow with pictures and everything.

http://www.puargs.net/?page_id=26

If you like it, forward it to someone who needs it!

Feedback is appreciated, I plan on extending tutorials to other areas of the phone.

OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!

fantastic job bra

Device(s)
    E816 (lucky ESN)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thanks

As a Noobie/Dummie, I just want to thank you for your work.

Device(s)
    HTC Tilt
    Carrier(s)
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I have (had) bluetooth built in my laptop, always had My bluetooth Places icon. When i got my RAZR (right when it came out, tested positively for OBEX on other PC), but laptop wouldnt find the device for life....I thought reinstalling bluetooth might work, unistalled it, and still looking for drivers Can't find them for life...So i'm stuck with USB cable (which i got for free with my minidisc), so i'm not complaining, plus it charges my phone. I just wanna know from people who tried both, is BT better than USB, if u dont think the cord is a minus. I bought MPT, and i never had any problems with drivers, etc.
    Haven't tried DUN yet, carry lappie everywhere, lots of free hot spots in the city helps, plus of course there is free NYC ISP which will work with DUN, but i only got 450 minutes

Device(s)
    Verizon XV6900 (HTC Touch)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thank you Puargs, nice work.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke
    Last edited by Azeke; 01-05-2006 at 09:45 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    puargs, great write up but one problem on my computer (i have windows xp) where step 6 you say you will see a tab with bluetooth tasks, and then click search for phone.... well i dont have that when i double click the bluetooth symbol it only says phone not found and thats all i can do..... what do i do now?? thanks in advance

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    If you don't have that tab on the left hand side, the option should be in the pulldown menu at the top of that window.

Click here for an image.

(I've added it into my tutorial for those that have the same problem)

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Also, I thought a little about what you said, and if your dongle is not properly inserted into the USB slot, or if it's not properly installed, clicking on "My Bluetooth Places" will give you an error that says "Bluetooth Device Not Found... blahblahblah". If that's the case and what I showed you above doesn't work, you can try reinstalling your Bluetooth from scratch. Alternatively, if it came with a CD, you can try installing updated drivers from their website. Who knows what the problem is. You could also try checking their website's support section for people who have the same problem.

If my previous post fixed it anyway, ignore this one.

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by puargs
    Also, I thought a little about what you said, and if your dongle is not properly inserted into the USB slot, or if it's not properly installed, clicking on "My Bluetooth Places" will give you an error that says "Bluetooth Device Not Found... blahblahblah". If that's the case and what I showed you above doesn't work, you can try reinstalling your Bluetooth from scratch. Alternatively, if it came with a CD, you can try installing updated drivers from their website. Who knows what the problem is. You could also try checking their website's support section for people who have the same problem.

If my previous post fixed it anyway, ignore this one.
    thanks for your help, it was plugged in properly, since there were 2 lights lit up.... and yes the problem was that my bluetooth places never opened up so i guess ill head to dlink for a solution, i dont konw why i keep buying dlink products theyre a PITA

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Nice instructions ....

You will want to make sure you mention those instructions will work for PC Devices using the Widcomm driver stack...

Bluesoliel and XP SP2's built in BASIC bluetooth support will NOT have a My Bluetooth Places so those instructions would NOT apply...

In addition... There is still a chance that when installing the Widcomm drivers and Dongle that the XP SP2 Bluetooth drivers will take over... and while everything "looks right" OBEX file transfers via My Bluetooth Places wont work...

To check... Go into Device Manager... "Expand" the Bluetooth Devices group. Is the Microsoft Bluetooth Enumerator listed?? If so, the MS drivers are being used..
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 01-06-2006 at 11:47 AM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ooooo... I'll write up a mini-tutorial on how to do that for people who are not sure.

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I added a new mini-tutorial to help people figure out if they have that problem. It can be accessed just under step 6, or you can also click on the right side of my website to find it.

Forum Linky

Device(s)
    iPhone
    Carrier(s)
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    aww man i have this friggin enumurator thing now what do i do, thats where my problem is...

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast