Thread: Looking for prepaid that can use VZW towers and ports old numbers

Feedback Score

Question Looking for prepaid that can use VZW towers and ports old numbers

I have a VM prepaid phone and want to port my number to another prepaid CDMA carrier that uses Verizon towers or can roam on their towers.
    Any suggestions?

Feedback Score
    So far I couldn't find any that allows me to port my number. All of them seem to require a new number.

Verizon Inpulse - cannot
    Simple Freedom - cannot
    PagePlus - cannot

Phones
    Motorola E-815
    Moto E-815
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Try this one,

Cellular 4 Less Inc.: Verizon network reseller for Oregon and Washington and (UT, ID, AZ, NM, CO, NE, IA, MN):

Cellular 4 Less Inc.
    1(888) 654-5377
    1(360) 866-2105
    PO Box 12450
    Olympia WA 98508 Cheapest plans (as of January 22nd, 2006) - $13.35/month includes 30 minutes on Verizon's network. $27.75 price point has 300 peak minutes and 3000 Nights and Weekends with free LD and roaming on Verizon's network. Postpaid but no contract. These folks will activate older dualmode phones and analog.
    "So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"

-Apple Computer Inc. founder Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve Wozniak's personal computer

Feedback Score
    Thanks fearlessflyer
    But I don't think that I can get that service

It appears that Tracfone does port numbers. But not sure if I can get CDMA from them.

What ever happen to local number portability?
    Guess it doesn't really apply to prepaid.

Phones
    LG Optimus One
    Sony Ericsson K660i
    Carrier
    T-Mobile ToGo (US)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksurfer
    Thanks fearlessflyer

It appears that Tracfone does port numbers. But not sure if I can get CDMA from them.

Unfortunately, if you have an existing phone that you want to use, then Tracfone is not an option at all. They use special firmware in their phones to track airtime, so you would have to buy one of their phones to use their service.

Just my humble $0.02,
    Ole.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Phones
    Motorola E-815
    Moto E-815
    LG VX-5500
    Carrier
    Page Plus Cellular
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by ksurfer
    Thanks fearlessflyer

One thing that to note with Tracphone is that even if CDMA phone do not show up as options on their website when you enter your zipcode, try your local Safeway display of Tracfone, there you will sometimes find a Nokia model, currently I have seen them for $20. Verizon has native coverage in my area but it appears Tracfone would rather see you on a GSM carrier. I checked with Tracfone and they will however activate one of their CDMA phones when you call them.

Phones
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Samsung Epic 4G
    Huawei E1831 (webConnect Rocket)
    Carriers
    Sprint SERO Premium
    AT&T DataConnect Pass
    Feedback Score
    If you want to port in with a VZW phone you can use Locus Mobile, albeit it's a bit more expensive than PagePlus.
    SERO + Android = win. HSPA+ also = win, but it isn't available everywhere :/
    Follow me on Twitter @iansltx
    1000th post on Monday, December 12th, 2005 at 9:40 PM!

Phones
    Palm Treo 700wx Verizon
    Motorola E815 Alltel
    Carriers
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can you provide their website?
    Quote Originally Posted by fearlessflyer
    Try this one,

Cellular 4 Less Inc.: Verizon network reseller for Oregon and Washington and (UT, ID, AZ, NM, CO, NE, IA, MN):

Cellular 4 Less Inc.
    1(888) 654-5377
    1(360) 866-2105
    PO Box 12450
    Olympia WA 98508 Cheapest plans (as of January 22nd, 2006) - $13.35/month includes 30 minutes on Verizon's network. $27.75 price point has 300 peak minutes and 3000 Nights and Weekends with free LD and roaming on Verizon's network. Postpaid but no contract. These folks will activate older dualmode phones and analog.

Phones
    HTC Dream - Unlocked/Rooted
    Sony Ericson onboard 3G data card - Unlocked
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I'm pretty sure inPulse DOES support porting in. I heard about someone else doing it, you just need to do it through a CSR and not the website.
    If you really expect an interesting signature, look elsewhere ...
    - AT&T *really* amazed me, but their spotty 3G network lost me.

Feedback Score
    Thanks fearlessflyer for that useful info. I may be visiting Safeway soon

Daneboy & ianstlx, I don't really mind about losing my old phone and didn't expect it to transfer. It's a VM phone and unlikely to be compatible with any other provider. Keeping my phone # is important to me, though. But mentioning firmware does concern me about the ability to PC sync my address book for tracfone nokia phones. The ability to sync with PC is partiallly why I am leaving VM. Do you think Tracfone firmware blocks the nokia sync software?

Sonic, I called Verizon before and they said that I couldn't port a number to Inpulse. I have read about people porting from verizon postpaid to Inpulse, but I haven't read about anything about porting a non-verizon prepaid carrier to Inpulse. Maybe the rep was mistaken?