Thread: Blocked 1-800-free411

Phones
    Blackberry 7250
    PPC6700
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score

Blocked 1-800-free411

Anyone know why Alltel blocked 1800free411, other than for profit reasons?

The service works on VZW and on my local Bellsouth landline, so is there really a technical reason for the it not working on alltel?

Phone
    Iphone 5 32 gig
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gueido
    Anyone know why Alltel blocked 1800free411, other than for profit reasons?

The service works on VZW and on my local Bellsouth landline, so is there really a technical reason for the it not working on alltel?
    More then likely, however this sux!

Phones
    PPC6700
    V710
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    I just used 800-555-1212 yesterday...

Phones
    Palm Pre
    Samsung Smooth
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Wow.. I've been a happy Alltel customer for awhile now, but this REALLY makes me mad. I use free-411 all the time.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Hmm, block and destroy anything resembling competition. Good to see the spirit of Western Wireless didn't die with the merger...

The World's WORST Phone Company has only contaminated another company once considered good (Alltel). And here I was hoping the opposite would happen.

Phones
    Palm Pre
    Samsung Smooth
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Has anyone tried calling customer support about this? I plan on it when I get home.

Phone
    iPhone 5
    Carrier
    American Telephone & Telegraph Company
    Feedback Score
    FWIW, I posted my initial thoughts on this here.

PRL Interpretations
    XFF's AlphaTag software
    Cellular and PCS License Maps
    Quote Originally Posted by gpatrick900
    I am a little confused. My Verizon phone was able to roam on GSM because they used TDMA. Tell it was shutdown. The phone recognizes it as Analog. If PCS has TDMA, It could be technically be used on GSM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tabla View Post
    Y'know, I'm used to hysterical 14-year-old ******** on the internet, but this is exceptional. Never before in human history have so many nerds hyperventilated so publicly over so little.

Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    I just tried to call the number.

Alltel gave me a call cannot be completed as dialed, sprint let it go through, WW let it go through and my SBC land line let it go through.

Feedback Score
    That's regular Directory Assistance. What's being discussed here is a horse of a different color - different company.

Keep the Faith,

Lance

Phone
    Used & Abused em All
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    to see how it works see: http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/nothing/free411.asp

the company’s website is: http://www.free411.com/index.htm

Phone
    Moto DROID2 R2D2
    Carrier
    VZW
    Feedback Score

Exclamation

It was blocked due to compeditors SPAM messages while waiting to connect...Check out the Terms and Conditions

Services Provided by Third Parties:
    The Services will be provided either by us or by our third party vendors or contractors. We reserve the right to change or modify the source of any Services provided to you without notice.

Unauthorized Use of Third Party Services:
    You agree that the mobile phone on which your Alltel Service is activated may not be used to access any third-party services equivalent to Services provided, or Services made available, by Alltel even if you declined to purchase such Services from Alltel. Your mobile phone contains programming designed to enable access to Alltel Services only. Using any manual or electronic means to circumvent any restrictions placed on your mobile phone or to modify without authorization any programming supplied on your phone is a violation of your Agreement.

Carrier
    Verizon (was Alltel)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by DocFong
    It was blocked due to compeditors SPAM messages while waiting to connect...Check out the Terms and Conditions

Services Provided by Third Parties:
    The Services will be provided either by us or by our third party vendors or contractors. We reserve the right to change or modify the source of any Services provided to you without notice.

Unauthorized Use of Third Party Services:
    You agree that the mobile phone on which your Alltel Service is activated may not be used to access any third-party services equivalent to Services provided, or Services made available, by Alltel even if you declined to purchase such Services from Alltel. Your mobile phone contains programming designed to enable access to Alltel Services only. Using any manual or electronic means to circumvent any restrictions placed on your mobile phone or to modify without authorization any programming supplied on your phone is a violation of your Agreement.
    That's quite a stretch there. If that is true, then they also can prohibit you from calling AAA (or your local garage), as they "provide" Mr Rescue. I think it's intended to prevent you from setting your phone up for Free WAP, some method for making free calls on the cell network, or items such as that, where you have to modify the phone in some manner to get it to work.

However, IANAL, but I can tell you this. If that is how they want to interpret it, and they feel they can block any number they feel like just because it is a "competitor" to their offered service, they won't be getting any more of my money when my contract is up...

Phone
    iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Galaxy SIII
    Carrier
    Verizon (4 lines)
    Feedback Score
    Here's what others on other forums are saying about switching to Alltel:
    "I was planning too when my Verizon contract was up, but I would now ABSOLUTELY NEVER consider Alltel without a major public apology - they're NOW BLOCKING CALLS TO THE 1-800 NUMBER OF A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY COMPETE WITH THEM... It's crazy."

Sad...

Phone
    LG 4750
    Carrier
    Alltel
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by djjim
    Here's what others on other forums are saying about switching to Alltel:
    "I was planning too when my Verizon contract was up, but I would now ABSOLUTELY NEVER consider Alltel without a major public apology - they're NOW BLOCKING CALLS TO THE 1-800 NUMBER OF A LEGITIMATE BUSINESS BECAUSE THEY COMPETE WITH THEM... It's crazy."

Sad...
    Why don't you complain about not being able to dial 900 numbers next.

Phone
    iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, Galaxy SIII
    Carrier
    Verizon (4 lines)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmaaz
    Why don't you complain about not being able to dial 900 numbers next.
    I was quoteing someone from another forum...those are not my words! Pay attention! My point is that this is bad pr for Alltel! I want Alltel to succeed! They need every sub they can get or they will be eaten up alive by Cingular and Vzw, but crap like this is not going to help!

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast