Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Getting "New" Media Net and Cingular Java programs on unbranded Motorola phones

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GSM)
    Feedback Score

Moto V635 on Cingular -> "New" Media net???

This is a ? for those who have a Motorola V635 and using Cingular......

Do you get the "New" Media Net Home page (The one with your local weather and a news headline on top) or do you still get the "Old" Media Net Home page (The one with a list of things to select eg....1. What's Hot 2....3.....etc...)??? If you get the "New" page please post your 0032_0001 seem. I am trying to figure out what is going on here and how cingular is able to figure out which home page to send to us.....I think its a seem edit but I am not 100% sure......Would like to compare some seems with from v635's that have the new home page and my seem that does not get the new home page.......

Thanks

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    Yes, Cingular "knows" if you have a branded or unbranded phone so it can decide which page to send you. My V635 displays the old MediaNet page. I don't think this is something that can be fixed with a seem edit.

I've noticed that in some pages there's a command at the bottom that says "Add to MediaNet Home" and when I select that it says that my phone doesn't support that feature.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Device(s)
    iPhone 6+ 128GB Gold
    Carrier(s)
    310-410 (voice & data)
    Feedback Score
    Isn't there some way to change the browser string on these Moto's via seem edit? If you change a V635's string into say a V551's you should be able to see the new MediaNet (or the graphical mMode).

Maybe ask the same question in the Moto forum...
    Current GSM Phones on AT&T:
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 3390b, Nokia 5190, Nokia 3650, Ericsson T68m, Motorola P280, Nokia 6340i, Motorola V600, Motorola V66, Nokia 6200, Nokia 6010 (x2), Nokia 6620, Motorola V635, Nokia 6230b, Motorola V551, Motorola V3 (x5), LG G4015 (x2), Motorola V180, HTC Wizard, Motorola L7, Nokia 6101, Samsung V205, Samsung E315, HTC Kaiser, Motorola V3xx, Samsung i607 (given to a friend), Nokia 6555b, Apple iPhone 3G 8GB (wife & mom), HTC Raphael, Nokia E71-2

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by redgarter437
    Isn't there some way to change the browser string on these Moto's via seem edit? If you change a V635's string into say a V551's you should be able to see the new MediaNet (or the graphical mMode).

Maybe ask the same question in the Moto forum...

hmmm I think there is a way I think there is a seem that's on XLR8's map that has something to do with the hardware version.......But I think there more to it, For example Cingular branded V3's have no problem with the "new" page, but some "Unbranded" V3 owners have reported that they also see the "old" home page.....I think it has something to do with the flex and hopefully a seem edit......

Device(s)
    Primary GSM: Motorola V3xx
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM Nation 450 with GAIT access, FastForward, Rollover, and MEdia Works w/unlimited WIX
    Feedback Score
    No, bobo, it can be fixed with a simple seem edit. I thought it was common knowledge how to do this. Someone else posted it a while ago, I think.

In any case, it's easy and here's what you do: you just have to set your phone's model number to one that Cingular supports. That information is stored in seem 0117_0001. If you change the info in that seem from V635 to V551, voila! You get the new MEdia Net page.

If you want to install java games you bought from MEdia Net (but why would you want to waste your money), you have to install the Cingular security certificates, which I have packaged for everyone's convenience into a ZIP. They get uploaded to the /a/mobile/certs/root/x509/kjava folder. Be sure to set the attrib to '4' after uploading.

Of course, if you use mobile phone tools, a V551 will show up as the skin. And your phone will be identified as such in P2Kman. But it doesn't do any harm other than that.
    Tutorial- Customize Your Moto: http://xlr8.us/hofo/ | Moto Seem Hack Map: http://xlr8.us/hofo/map.txt
    Look at all my pretty pictures (and movies)... http://xlr8.us/moblog/
    Boards I Read: Motorola Main, Motorola Modding, Cingular (If you need my help, post in the appropriate one.)
    Quote Originally Posted by troyboy30
    he's a seem edit GOD! Good work X.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular GSM Nation 450 with GAIT access, FastForward, Rollover, and MEdia Works w/unlimited WIX
    Feedback Score
    Helps if I post the ZIP. Heh heh.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8
    No, bobo, it can be fixed with a simple seem edit. I thought it was common knowledge how to do this. Someone else posted it a while ago, I think.

In any case, it's easy and here's what you do: you just have to set your phone's model number to one that Cingular supports. That information is stored in seem 0117_0001. If you change the info in that seem from V635 to V551, voila! You get the new MEdia Net page.

If you want to install java games you bought from MEdia Net (but why would you want to waste your money), you have to install the Cingular security certificates, which I have packaged for everyone's convenience into a ZIP. They get uploaded to the /a/mobile/certs/root/x509/kjava folder. Be sure to set the attrib to '4' after uploading.

Of course, if you use mobile phone tools, a V551 will show up as the skin. And your phone will be identified as such in P2Kman. But it doesn't do any harm other than that.

Thanks XLR8 for your input...

The Cingular certs file are the same from a V600??? I had copied them over from a v600 and put on my v635 and things did show up in the certificate folder, also I moved my /a/Root_cert file from the v600 to the v635 and now I also have the "interoprea" certicate on the v635.....

Thanks for your help again!!! without your map I would hate these motorola phones the way they come stock OEM!!!!!
    Last edited by dkhomdds; 01-20-2006 at 01:20 PM.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    XLR8, you are a genius! All I had to do was change the V635 data to V551 and then reset the cache and changed the startup to "Retrieve" instead of "Store". After that the new MediaNet came up.

I will install the certificates later on. Thanks!

dkhomdds, if you use XVi32 as your hex editor, when you look at the right panel where the hex is displayed in ASCII you will see V 6 3 5. All you have to do is click directly on those digits and change them to 5 5 1. You will see the left panel change to the corresponding hex values.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    The certs I have packaged came off a V551, and they were exactly the same as the ones that were on my V400. I would surmise that they are the same for all Cingular-branded motos.

Quote Originally Posted by dkhomdds
    Thanks XLR8 for your input...

The Cingular certs file are the same from a V600??? I had copied them over from a v600 and put on my v635 and things did show up in the certificate folder, also I moved my /a/Root_cert file from the v600 to the v635 and now I also have the "interoprea" certicate on the v635.....

Thanks for your help again!!! without your map I would hate these motorola phones the way they come stock OEM!!!!!

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    UPDATE: I installed the certificates, tried to download Mobile E-mail which is a free application from Cingular and after I received the Browser Message with the link, I selected "Go to" but it gave me an error message saying "Authentication Error: Application not installed." Sounds like it needs something else besides the certificates. Before installing the certificates, the phone would say "Page Not Found" when trying to download the same thing.

Yes, I changed the attributes and verified that they were changed to '70004' for all three certificate files.

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    .....HOWEVER.....I forgot that as with everything else, you need to reboot the phone, so after I rebooted it I tried again and it downloaded just fine! Silly me! LOL! The only thing is that now it won't install. Oh well!

Thanks for helping us 'Cinguarize' our unbranded flex.
    Last edited by bobolito; 01-20-2006 at 02:33 PM.

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    UPDATE: I installed the certificates, tried to download Mobile E-mail which is a free application from Cingular and after I received the Browser Message with the link, I selected "Go to" but it gave me an error message saying "Authentication Error: Application not installed." Sounds like it needs something else besides the certificates. Before installing the certificates, the phone would say "Page Not Found" when trying to download the same thing.

Yes, I changed the attributes and verified that they were changed to '70004' for all three certificate files.
    If you have another cingular branded phone around and look at the certificates there is also a "interopera" certificate. This has nothing to do with the mini opera browser. But something about nokia's open WAP format that everyone is trying to adopt, I am not on my home PC now so I can not u/l it. But if you have a cingular branded moto you can try and copy over to the v635 the file /a/Root_Cert which has it in it....give that a try........I have it on my v635 (file from my Cingular v600) and works well. I still have to get home and change my 0117_0001 to V551......(perhaps V557??? since thats in there lineup now???)

Device(s)
    iPhone 5
    Carrier(s)
    Solavei
    Feedback Score
    So what does that certificate allows me to do?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    I didn't know people didn't know how to do this. I really thought someone had posted all about this. I feel bad for having 'horded' the information. I've had new MEdia Net working since Cingular sent me the message saying I had it... and I keep the security certifs installed just in case Cingular tosses out a 'branded' app I like.

@dkhomdds: I don't have an "interopera" certificate. Here's what I have:
    kjava:
    cinpref
    cintrust
    cinttp
    motman

ssl:
    entrust
    fotarootca
    gte_cyber
    rse
    thwate
    thwateprem
    verisign_cls3
    verisign_g2
    verisign_g3

Carrier(s)
    AT&T (GSM)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by xlr8
    I didn't know people didn't know how to do this. I really thought someone had posted all about this. I feel bad for having 'horded' the information. I've had new MEdia Net working since Cingular sent me the message saying I had it... and I keep the security certifs installed just in case Cingular tosses out a 'branded' app I like.

@dkhomdds: I don't have an "interopera" certificate. Here's what I have:
    kjava:
    cinpref
    cintrust
    cinttp
    motman

ssl:
    entrust
    fotarootca
    gte_cyber
    rse
    thwate
    thwateprem
    verisign_cls3
    verisign_g2
    verisign_g3
    You will not see it under those 2 folders.......(if you using P2Kman or such)

If you got to settings>security>certificate Mgmt>root certs. You will see what you have listed and interoprea right before the 1st Cingular cert....I download /a/Root_Cert and looked at it with "Notepad" and you can see that it has the Verisign Certs in it and also this interoprea cert in....you can just copy it over to the V635 and reboot the phone.....

I do not know what it does, however the interoprea cert does expire in a few months....I just wanted to input this just in case if it did anything to help with downloading things from the Cingular sites.....Since it was on the cingular branded phones and not the unbranded one......So far it has not caused me any problems with my v635.....

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast