Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What is a SIM Card & What does it do??

Los Angeles - San Diego, CA / St. Albans, VT
    Phones
    RIM BlackBerry Q10
    Apple iPhone 5S
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Carriers
    Pacific Bell Wireless / T-Mobile USA / MetroPCS
    Telcel MX
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by icesk8rwnabe
    You have to call in to customer service now. The PUK code can only be retreived by them. And Now that you haven't done that, you need a new sim.
    That's not true anymore, just logon to OLAM and go to the Phone/Device link and go to PUK Code - Unblock SIM Card found in the upper right square.

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2
    iPhone 3GS (SOLD!)
    Blackberry Curve
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (best network)|
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl51
    I keep reading about the SIM card. What does the SIM Card do??
    Its keeps your phone from being a verizon phone. in a nutshell, its handset freedom.

Phone
    Samsung t409, Samsung Gravity TXT, and Nokia Lumia 710
    Carrier
    T-Mobile GSM/3G/4G/UMA (voice/text/data)
    Feedback Score
    Basically a SIM card is...

YOUR PHONE - it has your contacts, your account info, and your CID info.

You can switch YOUR PHONE (SIM card) around to different handsets.

---------

Kind of like you are your own person. And defined by the clothes you wear. (bad analogy - but you get the point)
    T-Mobile. Connecting you when you need it most... disconnecting you when you need to connect with God's beautiful creation! Service is great in cities and highways, but in rural areas they leave you with just your surroundings. I encourage you to get T-Mobile, disconnect for a while!

I am glad that God is not like cell phone coverage. He does not hide behind mountains or loose us down long windy roads. The Lord levels mountains, and He makes our paths straight!

Phones
    BlackBerry 8830
    Black Berry 8830WE
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Can you use a 3G SIM card with a non-3G phone? I bought a non-3G phone off of e-bay, and the phone says "energency calls only" with the AT&T SIM card inserted. The seller told me I must use a non-3G SIM card when I asked how to set it up for AT&T.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tow_bar
    Can you use a 3G SIM card with a non-3G phone? I bought a non-3G phone off of e-bay, and the phone says "energency calls only" with the AT&T SIM card inserted. The seller told me I must use a non-3G SIM card when I asked how to set it up for AT&T.
    What frequency/frequencies does AT&T use in your area? Sounds like they're using 850-only and the phone only supports 1900. What phone is it?

Phones
    BlackBerry 8830
    Black Berry 8830WE
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    The phone is a quad band phone. It looks like AT&T uses both 850 and 1900 here. This is actually the second phone I tried (it is for a friend), I first got a LG KG800 which is a tri band phone (no 850). When my friend tried that phone with the AT&T SIM card it also said "emergency calls only". I figured it was maybe because it didn't have 850. But she didn't bring the phone to let me check it out. So I got her a new quad band phone, and have the same issue. So as a rule, can a 3G SIM work in a non-3G phone? I have read elsewhere that the AT&T SIM should work in any GSM phone. But again, the person I bought this quad band phone from said I must use a non-3G SIM in it, so I am starting to wonder if that might be true.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    That is correct, 3G SIMs should work in any GSM phone. You can probably find an old 2G AT&T SIM on eBay for $10-20 if you want to get one. I can't imagine that any AT&T store still has them. I'm also wondering if replacing your SIM with another regular 3G SIM would fix them problem.

Phones
    BlackBerry 8830
    Black Berry 8830WE
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    OK, thanks. So maybe the phone itself has a problem. The 3G SIM I am using works in the phone it came with, so I assume it must be good. SO it would have to be the phone itself.

Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    I don't know if that could be said for sure. I'd really try to find a 2G SIM or borrow one from someone who already has service with a 2G SIM just to make sure. I'm not sure what phone wouldn't work with the 3G SIM, but considering the trouble you've had getting your 3G SIM to work with that phone that's the best advice I can give.

Feedback Score
    Pure TalkUSA is offering a SIM right now for free- just buy their service- lowest plan is $10 no contract, so $10 for a SIM and service works for me. Good with any ATT phone. Check it out www.puretalkusa.com.

Hope that helps
    -H.J. Brown

Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    My mom got a pure talkusa phone for my little brother. he was orginally on our at&t family plan but she realized it'd be a WHOLE lot cheaper to take him off. He used the same phone and just put the sim card in. seems to work fine. plus i get more minutes without him

Feedback Score
    Your SIM is what identifies you on the AT&T Database.
    All AT&T phones are GSM which does require a GSM phone.
    If you choose to unlock your phone on your own, you viod your warrenty
    Your IMEI Number is generated from this Chip.

Your SIM, essentially, connects your phone with the ATT&T towers/3GMicrocell/etc... and is required to access said services

cheers

Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S5
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Whoa whoa...unlocking your phone DOES NOT void your warranty. It just makes it so you can use your phone anywhere.

AT&T often unlocks their own phones for customers when they need to go overseas and use a local carrier. All you need to do is call in.

Phone
    Samsung Captivate, Samsung Mythic
    Carrier
    at&t (formerly Cingular)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MyCSP01 View Post
    Your SIM is what identifies you on the AT&T Database.
    No Duh. Since it's called a Subscribers Identy Module card.
    All AT&T phones are GSM which does require a GSM phone.
    Don't you mean AT&T's network is GSM/UMTS and require a GSM/UMTS capable phone with the correct AT&T frequencies that their network uses and a SIM card issued by AT&T.
    If you choose to unlock your phone on your own, you viod your warrenty
    No it doesn't.
    Your IMEI Number is generated from this Chip.
    Your phone has it's own IMEI that is encoded by the manufacturer hence why it's called Individual Mobile Equipment Identifyer number. SIM cards have either a Integrated circuit card identifier (ICC-ID) or a Universal Integrated Circuit Card (UICC), or both as in the case of AT&T 3G SIM cards.

Your SIM, essentially, connects your phone with the ATT&T towers/3GMicrocell/etc... and is required to access said services

cheers
    If you feel that you have to correct some of my posts for my capitalization of some of my words, then just bear with it. It's just a discussion forum where some may be limited by time to answer in well-versed and eloquent sentences.

I already got a PHD (Plain High School Diploma) so ignore my style of writing and I'll ignore your ignorance.

Subject: You can read this-trust me!

I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdgnieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid. Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoatnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm.
    Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Amzanig huh? yaeh and I awlyas thought slpeling was ipmorantt!

When asked if I see the glass half empty or half full, I responded I see just a glass of water.
    Now you know how I think.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Shirl51 View Post
    I'm a newbie here for sure.... I'm learning alot BEFORE we buy.

I keep reading about the SIM card. What does the SIM Card do?? Do you have to have one? Is it for any particular phone??

We are "shopping" for a cell phone plan...and will probably go with Cingular. There is alot more info out there than I expected!!

Any recommendations is definitely appreciated!!

Thanks,
    Shirl
    A sim card is a portable memory chip used in some models of cellular telephones. It makes it easy to switch to a new phone by simply sliding the SIM out of the old phone and into the new one. The SIM holds personal identity information, cell phone number, phone book, text messages and other data.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast