Thread: Call Forwarding and Voicemail Work in No Coverage Area?

Phones
    LG Decoy VX8610
    Motorola i450
    Motorola v325 (retired)
    Carriers
    Verizon Wireless (primary)
    Feedback Score

Call Forwarding and Voicemail Work in No Coverage Area?

If I am in a geographic area, such as rural or another country, where know VZW has no service, signal, or there is no other usuable signal available, AND if I turn on my cell phone to look up a phone number of someone I need to call using a landline, or using the other features of the phone such as calculator, flashlight, etc., will my no answer busy call forwarding feature and voicemail feature still work if them activated prior to leaving the VZW coverage area? OR would a caller calling my cell phone in such a no coverage area get some sort of recording that the subscriber cannot be reached?

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    The features would still work, as long as they were activated prior to you leaving the coverage area. Voicemail and call forwarding are network-based functions, so they run independent of your phone being in a coverage area.

Just beware that you can't change the state of call forwarding, no-answer transfer, or voicemail until your phone is back in a coverage area. While the features run on the network, your phone has to be the one giving the commands.

It's kind of like a remote control to a tv: you can turn a TV on and change channels, then take the remote to another room. The TV will stay on of course, but if you want to change the channel or the volume or anything else, you need to bring the remote back.

Carrier
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    I know what you're asking. With some Nextel phones, you can't access the phone book unless you have a Nextel signal. With verizon, you can access all the normal functions, like the phone book, of your phone even if there is no signal available. Yes, there are still carriers, some just with accounts where the voice mail is not activated, that will just say the called party is not available or not within coverage.

As long as your voice mail is active or you have activated CF-B/NA, the calls go where you'd expect, although those 2 features are mutually-exclusive.
    Bill Radio
    Mountain Wireless Network Reports & Ratings,
    Coverage Maps,
    Wireless Roaming

Carriers
    T-Mobile (current)
    Verizon, Sprint (1997-2007)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Billradio
    I know what you're asking. With some Nextel phones, you can't access the phone book unless you have a Nextel signal.
    Really? Unbelievable! YOu'd think they'd save that stuff on the SIM card at the very least.

Phones
    Droid Maxx
    Retired: Many Motorola, such as DPC550,StarTac,V720. Also BB 9530,9850 (sigh)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless (1994, GTE MobileNet)
    Feedback Score
    On SBC (umm... at&t) landlines, you can use "Remote Access to Call Forwarding", where you can call a number from any phone, authenticate yourself, and then change the call forwarding state of your home phone. Of course, I doubt VZW offers anything like that

Carrier
    AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlesH
    On SBC (umm... at&t) landlines, you can use "Remote Access to Call Forwarding", where you can call a number from any phone, authenticate yourself, and then change the call forwarding state of your home phone. Of course, I doubt VZW offers anything like that
    I call VZW Customer Service a few times a year and ask them to forward my VZW calls to a different cell phone. Things like a dead battery, forgetting one's phone, or using an out-of-the-country cell phone are good reasons to not be able to activate C.F. from your own phone.

They even have a Mexico toll-free number I can call to do it. Which is more than I can do with Qwest's version of Remote Call Forwarding, called "Call Following," which only has a domestic 888 #.