Thread: Blocking Private Calls

Phones
    iPhone 3G White!!
    BJII
    Carriers
    AT&T
    Feedback Score

Blocking Private Calls

Ok, so here's whats happening. My wife has been getting very harrasing phone calls for the past week. We've had the line since June '05 with no problems but now these people from a private number keep calling and saying very rude things. My question is this: we dont want to change the number as that is a hassle, and would like to know if there is a way that we can either block all private calls, or if cingular can trace it and block that particular one?
    ~Mikol

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T (since 1998)
    Feedback Score
    Unfortunately cell phones cannot block calls from anonymous callers. Your best bet is to kick all blocked calls to voicemail & pretty soon they will get tired of calling. If you have M2M, it will not cost you any minutes to check the voicemail. If it persists to a greater extent, contact the police & file a report. The police should be able to obtain the caller's phone number by submitting an affidavit to Cingular.

I hope this helps.
    Binx
    Marketing & Promotions for clubs, DJs, & businesses
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/binx75075
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/binx75075
    MySpace: www.myspace.com/binx75075
    YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/binx75075

Phone
    Nokia 5800 Navigation
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the phone # of a private call show up on your bill? You may want to start recording the time/date of these harrasing calls and check the OLAM and your printed bill to see if the # shows up. Also, logging these calls is a must if you decide to file a complaint with the police.

Phones
    HTC i-Mate SP5m, Samsung CU320(3G Data Device), Motorola V557, Nokia 6620, Sharp Hiptop 1(unlocked)
    Nokia N-Gage(For Sale), Motorola MPx200, Nokia 3120, Nokia 6101, Nokia 6010, Nokia 3395, Nokia 5190
    Sanyo SCP-8100, Motorola StarTAC (AIRTOUCH STYLE)
    Carriers
    1. Pacific Bell Mobile Services GSM and ATTWS TDMA\GSM
    3. Sprint (SERO) | 4. Verizon Wireless (ACI)
    Feedback Score
    Captshadow, it must show up cuz i kno that the Voice Mail System knows the number even tho its blocked ive tried this myself and it passes the number as unblocked so the OLAM and the printed copy of the bill should show the actual number

Phones
    LG Revolution
    LG Revolution
    Carrier
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    You really only have 2 options. The first is to not answer any calls where the number is blocked and hope that they go away after a brief time. The second is to call the police who can do something. However, I've heard that you must agree to press charges before even they can/will do anything. Personnally I would start with the first option since if it works that is certainly the easier option.

Cingular itself can do nothing for you. No cell phone or landline company can help you out directly.

Phone
    Nokia 5800 Navigation
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I'm not sure what kind of harrasing phone calls you're getting, but they could end up being of some interest to your local police.

Several years ago we begain receiving calls on our home phone from several different people asking for the same person. They called at all hours of the day and night asking for "Shonda". It didn't take long to figure out that "Shonda" was selling something all these people wanted badly. Unluckily for Shonda and all her crack-head friends I was in law enforcement at the time. I begain recording all the times and numbers of these people. Caller ID with name was not available at this time, but names were soon put with all these numbers. With a little help from a buddy of mine in the narcotics unit, we soon found that Shonda was a person in my town they had been watching for some time. My friend showed me Shonda's phone number, and what do you know, all the numbers were the same as mine. The only problem was that the crack-head fools were transposing the last two digits and calling me instead of Shonda. A couple of weeks after putting this all together my buddy called me to come by his office. He showed me the stack of warrants for the arrest of Shonda, her boyfriend and several of their crack-head followers that were going to be executed later that day. Once the arrests were made all of the phone calls ceased. I guess nobody wanted to be Shonda's friend anymore.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T (since 1998)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptShadow
    I could be wrong, but doesn't the phone # of a private call show up on your bill?
    Sorry Capt..... but when you receive a call from a blocked number, on your bill the calling number is displayed as your mobile #.

Phone
    Nokia 5800 Navigation
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Binx75075
    Sorry Capt..... but when you receive a call from a blocked number, on your bill the calling number is displayed as your mobile #.
    I wasn't sure how that worked, thanks for the info. I guess the OP's only option to find out who it is will be to file a complaint with the police.

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T (since 1998)
    Feedback Score
    I wasn't sure how that worked, thanks for the info. I guess the OP's only option to find out who it is will be to file a complaint with the police.
    Correct..... god I love this place.... keeps me entertained while I am at work.

Phone
    Nokia 5800 Navigation
    Carrier
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Binx75075
    Correct..... god I love this place.... keeps me entertained while I am at work.
    This should give you a chuckle. I mentioned in my story above that caller ID with name was not available at the time. Thinking back, I believe that "enhanced caller ID" was available, I just didn't subscribe to it at the time. But, our 911 call center did have this capability. I gave about 8-10 numbers to one of the call takers. He begain calling these numbers and saying to whoever answered, "this is john doe with the 911 call center, we're testing our equipment and would appreciate it if you could call us back by dialing 911 so that we can make sure everything is working properly". All but 2-3 of these idiots called back! When they did, boom, there was their name and address on the screen. You know the saying, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".

Phones
    iPhone
    iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T (since 1998)
    Feedback Score
    Capt.....

Yea, that is funny! Thanks for the story! Trying to keep myself busy on here to keep myself awake & going strong.

Phones
    Treo 650
    Nokia E61
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    This should give you a chuckle. I mentioned in my story above that caller ID with name was not available at the time. Thinking back, I believe that "enhanced caller ID" was available, I just didn't subscribe to it at the time. But, our 911 call center did have this capability. I gave about 8-10 numbers to one of the call takers. He begain calling these numbers and saying to whoever answered, "this is john doe with the 911 call center, we're testing our equipment and would appreciate it if you could call us back by dialing 911 so that we can make sure everything is working properly". All but 2-3 of these idiots called back! When they did, boom, there was their name and address on the screen. You know the saying, "there's more than one way to skin a cat".
    You could do something similar to that, send caller forwarding when you hit reject for them to call the police department. Depending on how dumb they are, they could ***** out a police officer. If they just hang up, they'll trace the call back the person just to make sure everything is ok. I also think they get fined a certain amount for prank calling a police station.

Phones
    Iphone 3GS, Nokia E71, Nokia N900
    LG VU (2); Samsung Blackjack II
    Motorola V3xx, Q
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by NFrabbit
    No cell phone or landline company can help you out directly.
    well I am pretty sure Cingular can't help out, I had the same problem back in 2002 and I was told they can't block private numbers. However my local phone company CenturyTel was able to block private numbers if a person called anonymously then they would just hear a busy signal. I'm not sure if other landline companies do that or not. I eventually just had to get a new number fortunately Cingular waived the fee for me.

Carrier
    T-mobile,VZW
    Feedback Score
    There is third party software for Nokia Series 60 and 80 phones, as well as the Treo that will automatically send all calls with no caller ID to voicemail.
    "I didn't get fat by accident. This was a personal choice. " - Kevin Gillespie