Thread: Filing an insurance claim through USPS

Phone
    Nokia 3390
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score

Filing an insurance claim through USPS

So I get this motherboard through eBay, and it was damaged through shipping. So the sender is telling me through e-mail that in order to start the process of a claim, I first need to get written proof from a store that the mobo isn't working (he suggests that i go to circut usa, or compusa).

Can anyone tell me if that is true or not? I, as the buyer, am in Canada, and the sender is in the US.

Also, who is suppose to file a claim with USPS, the sender or the receiver?

Thanks

Phone
    Nokia 8800
    Carrier
    rogers
    Feedback Score
    Just a note: There are no circuit usa or compusa in Canada I don't think...

Feedback Score
    Since you are not in the US, the sender has to file the claim.

You could the mobo to a recognized computer chain like Best Buy/Future Shop, or even Canada Computers or something along those lines. Get a written quote on replacing it and then send it to the seller.

Keep in mind, usually you'll have to pay a fee to get this done. It's usually better to just get them to replace it right then and there and then you can collect the $ later, but, only if the box is damaged.

If the box isn't damaged, USPS doesn't have to pay anything. It's the shipper's responsibility to package it well enough to be transported.

If that's the case, if you paid though paypal, just file a claim against the seller saying you received the product damaged. The seller will have to pay for it out of his pocket. However, be careful doing this as you could easily end up with negative feedback. If you have a built up good ebay reputation, you might just have to let it go to protect your raiting. That's the sad part about ebay.

Motherboards usually don't cost more than $150 new anyway, from a reasonably priced computer specialty store (not big box).
    Last edited by Guest 153; 02-22-2006 at 08:07 PM.