Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial: Free WAP (Internet) on VZW RAZR V3c

Device(s)
    T-Mobile (HTC) G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score

Tutorial: Free WAP (Internet) on VZW RAZR V3c

This tutorial will guide you through the process of obtaining free WAP on your phone if you have a PC and an always-on internet connection.

IMPORTANT: You will still be charged for airtime minutes as you would during a normal call. (With the exception of certain data and mobile web plans.)

Note: I'm sure this tutorial will work on other phones, but since I have the V3C I wrote it for this phone.

Requirements:
    1. The phone.
    2. A PC
    3. Microsoft Windows
    4. A broadband connection

Part 1: Creating a proxy for your phone.

1. Go to http://www.hottproxy.org/downloads.html and download the latest Win32 compiled executable zip.

2. Extract the files in the zip file to C:\Program Files\HoTTProxy (or wherever if you don't like them there).

3. In Explorer, navigate to C:\Program Files\HoTTProxy and run HoTTProxyAdmin.exe

4. Once the administration server has started, open your web browser and navigate to http://localhost:8085/ (or the address listed in the console window if it is different).

5. In the HoTTProxy Administration page, select Configuration.

6. Set your default homepage to the page you wish to access with your phone when you open OpenWave on your V3c

7. The port number is important here, in most cases you may just want to leave it as 9201, but be sure that this port is opened on your router and firewall if you have them or you won't be able to access the proxy server.

8. Select Save Configuration, Main Menu and then Create User.

9. Enter your username and password that your phone will use to access your phone. (Note: If you're worried about the password being short enough to type, it shouldn't matter because you need only enter it once so you can make the password as strong as needed.)

10. Leave homepage blank unless you want it to be different based on what phone you are using to access the proxy. All other fields are optional.

11. You can now close the Administration page and the HoTTProxy_Admin.exe (it will ask if you want to End Now).

12. Run HoTTProxy.exe and now you should have a proxy server!

Part 2: Setting up Free WAP on the Phone

1. Open your phone and type #073887* quickly (and correctly).

2. At the security code prompt, enter 000000.

3. With Web Sessions highlighted, press the right soft key to Select.

4. Select [New Entry] and enter a name for the entry, like Free WAP.

5. Enter your username and password in the User ID: and Password: fields.

6. In your PC's web browser go to http://www.whatismyip.com/ and enter the ip that appears into the phone under Gateway IP 1.

7. Change the port numbers if you selected something other than 9201.

8. Select Done on the right soft key.

9. Select Back on the left soft key.

10. Hit Select on the right soft key.

11. Highlight your Free WAP entry and select Options on the right soft then, Set Default.

12. Hit the End Call button and then hit up on the navigation rocker and it should open up OpenWave to your homepage!

Part 3: Configuring HoTTProxy as a Pseudo-Service (Optional)
    (This is to allow HoTTProxy to run whenever you start your computer.)

1. Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks, Add Scheduled Task

2. Click Next to begin the Wizard

3. Instead of choosing a program from the list, click Browse

4. Browse to C:\Program Files\HoTTProxy (or wherever you put it) and choose HoTTProxy.exe

5. The next window asks you to type a name for the task. Enter HoTTProxy Below the box for the name are some choices for when to perform the task. Choose "When my computer starts".

6. The next window prompts for the user name and password to run as. For the user name, enter "NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM" (without the quotes). Leave the password boxes blank.

7. The next window tells you you've successfully created the task and gives you a checkbox option to "Open advanced properties for this task when I click Finish". Check that box and click Finish.

8. In the advanced properties, go to the Settings tab and uncheck the "Stop this task if it runs for xx hours" box.

9. Click OK to close the window.

You're all done! If you restart your computer HoTTProxy will run as long as your PC is on and you should have all the free WAP you want!
    Last edited by liquidhot; 02-28-2006 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Update.

Feedback Score
    Nice work!

thanks

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score
    Phreakish had written instructions which are on my pages ( see the link on the HOW TO page..) but they are for using one of the free proxy's instead of hosting your own proxy... So they are Not nearly as detailed as these...

Very Good work!!
    Last edited by Mark_Venture; 02-28-2006 at 08:58 PM.
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    A common error is when it's set to run when your computer starts, HoTTProxy opens before other necessary Windows processes and the server won't work. The solution is to set it to run every 5 minutes and have it start at 00:00. Windows will ignore multiple task requests, and this way Windows will start properly along with HoTTProxy 5 minutes later.

Also of note is some people (Me...) despite every effort cannot access the Admin Console. My laptop is quirky sometimes and one of it's quirks is this unfortunate inability and hence no HoTTProxy server on my machine.
    Last edited by jlbrightbill; 02-28-2006 at 09:00 PM.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile (HTC) G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbrightbill
    A common error is when it's set to run when your computer starts, HoTTProxy opens before other necessary Windows processes and the server won't work. The solution is to set it to run every 5 minutes and have it start at 00:00. Windows will ignore multiple task requests, and this way Windows will start properly along with HoTTProxy 5 minutes later.
    Interesting... I got part 3 of the tutorial from the HoTTProxy website (modified to fit my tutorial), so it curious that it doesn't work.

Also of note is some people (Me...) despite every effort cannot access the Admin Console. My laptop is quirky sometimes and one of it's quirks is this unfortunate inability and hence no HoTTProxy server on my machine.
    The config files are all in text, so there is potential to create it by hand, OR copy all the config files from a PC that does work to your laptop.
    liquidhot - computer junkie.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by liquidhot
    The config files are all in text, so there is potential to create it by hand, OR copy all the config files from a PC that does work to your laptop.
    Believe me, I've tried all this but something about my laptop keeps it from working. I've tried everything I know (Which is a fairly vast knowledge base from all the troubleshooting I've done before) and nothing has fixed it.

Device(s)
    Samsung u740
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

Thumbs up

Great tutorial! I had a question that I hope someone can help me with. What else needs to be done for this to work with a router, such as a Linksys. I know from reading in other posts that the Windows XP SP2 firewall should be disabled for the proxy to work, but what exactly do I have to do to make this work with my router. A detailed addtion to the tutorial for someone using a router would be a great help.
    Shouldn't this thread be a Sticky?......Anyone?

Device(s)
    T-Mobile (HTC) G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc77
    Great tutorial! I had a question that I hope someone can help me with. What else needs to be done for this to work with a router, such as a Linksys. I know from reading in other posts that the Windows XP SP2 firewall should be disabled for the proxy to work, but what exactly do I have to do to make this work with my router. A detailed addtion to the tutorial for someone using a router would be a great help.
    Shouldn't this thread be a Sticky?......Anyone?
    Because routers are so different between manufacturers and models, it is a little hard to give a router tutorial.

However, on most linksys routers you would simply point your browser to http://192.168.1.1 and then type in the password in your manual (no username). Go to the advanced>port forwarding section and forward that port to your internal IP (192.168.1.xxx). (Which if it's not statically set may change.)

That's the gist of it, but if you just do a google search for "port forwarding tutorial" on your make and model of router you will find a tutorial that will allow you to do it. Again, you may also want to look up how to statically set your IP, which is the same for everyone in Windows, but not really related to this forum.

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I have a similar setup using NowWAP and an edited Websessions file. However, on my last bill I was charged about $35.00 for data usage. It looks like most of the wap usage was free but towards the end a lot of them started to cost $0.45 and above. One of the charges was $6.45 for a single usage. The beginning date on the bill is 01/27.

I'll look more into it later.

Device(s)
    T-Mobile (HTC) G1
    Carrier(s)
    Cincinnati Bell Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by set0
    I was charged about $35.00 for data usage. It looks like most of the wap usage was free but towards the end a lot of them started to cost $0.45 and above. One of the charges was $6.45 for a single usage.
    Thanks for letting us know! Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (My Moto e815: MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Sorry DP.
    Last edited by kbman; 03-01-2006 at 11:37 AM.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Wirelessly posted (My Moto e815: MOT-8720_/00.62 UP.Browser/6.2.3.4.c.1.104 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

Hmmm...definitely not. I have vcast though.

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by set0
    Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I have a similar setup using NowWAP and an edited Websessions file. However, on my last bill I was charged about $35.00 for data usage. It looks like most of the wap usage was free but towards the end a lot of them started to cost $0.45 and above. One of the charges was $6.45 for a single usage. The beginning date on the bill is 01/27.

I'll look more into it later.
    $0.45 sounds like you went over your minutes, not inherent data charges.

Device(s)
    iPhone (4GB)
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Great write up!
    This is great for people who are able to run HoTTProxy on their machine.
    The reason why my write up involves a free proxy is due to the fact that there are plenty people like me that are either unable or unwilling to run their own proxy.

Good work.

Device(s)
    RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    $0.45 sounds like you went over your minutes, not inherent data charges.
    I just looked more in-depth at my bill and I believe you are right. I unknowningly went over my minutes and basically everything towards the end of the billing period was charged by the minute.

The $6.45 data charge was the one that put me over my limit (700 minutes) and the session lasted 98 minutes total. I never use WAP for that long, so apparently the phone remained connected for quite some time. I'm pretty sure I was just checking Sigalert during that session which only lasts 1 or 2 minutes. I have my proxy set to disconnect after a minute of idleness, so the phone must have been doing something to stay connected.

I guess shutting the phone doesn't always close the connection. From now on, to be safe I guess we have to close the browser and watch the data icon disappear.

Page 1 of 37 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast