Feedback Score

FAQ: Fido Prepaid

Fido Prepaid Service FAQ v1.3

Original by subneuraldotcom, 08/04/2002
    Updated by Slipstream, 21/12/2003
    Updated by Slipstream, 02/03/2004
    Updated by Didouche, 04/03/2006

1. How does it work?

With Fido's prepaid service, there are no contracts to sign, no credit check, no minimum monthly fee, and no monthly invoices. You purchase airtime in advance using prepaid airtime vouchers which are available at more than 6,000 points of sale across Canada. Airtime can also be purchased directly on the phone using the InstantRefill service by registering a credit card. Finally, if you're a customer of the CIBC bank, you can purchase virtual vouchers directly from a CIBC ATM.

2. Limitations.

There are some limitations with Fido's prepaid service. The biggest limitations are:

-You can do WAP over GPRS, but you cannot use GPRs directly. This means you can't use advanced GPRS features of the newest handsets, retrieve email from a POP3 account or use devices such as the Hiptop.
    -The Fido Prepaid services can only be used in Canada

3. Airtime Costs.

The airtime and long distance are billed by the minute.

There is four different airtime rates, depending on the voucher you purchased. The six vouchers currently available are:

- 10$ valid for 30 days, billed at 30¢ per minute
    - 15$ valid for 15 days, billed at 15¢ per minute
    - 30$ valid for 30 days, billed at 15¢ per minute
    - 20$ valid for 20 days, billed at 40¢ per minute daytime and 5¢ a minute nights/weekends

the 30$ and 20$ are on promotion right until further notice. 60 days and 30 days respectively

The nights are from 7 PM to 8 AM, and the weekends are from Friday 7 PM to Monday 8 AM.

Long distance calls are billed at 20¢ per minute plus the airtime, regardless of the destination (anywhere in Canada & United States). Therefore, if you currently have a 15$ voucher in your account, you'll pay a total of 25¢ per minute.

If you mix different vouchers, the rate per minute of the last voucher prevail. Your validity period can only be extended, it cannot be reduced.

Therefore if your account is at 0$, and you a refill of 15$ followed by one of 10$, you'll have a total of 25$ at 30¢ per minute, valid for 30 days. On the other hand, if you do a refill of 10$ followed by one of 15$, you'll also have a total of 25$, valid for 30 days, but billed at 15¢ per minute.

Placing a local call: You are placing a local call if you are calling a number local to the area that you are in physically at the time that you place the call. I have a 416 area Fido number (Toronto). I travel to Montreal. I call my friend in Montreal from the airport (514 area). I just made a local call.

Receiving a local call: You must be in your "home area" to receive a call without being charged incoming long distance. If I have a Vancouver based Fido number, I must be in the local Vancouver calling area to receive that call as a local call, and not get charged long distance.

Placing a long distance call: If you are calling a number outside of the local calling area for the city or town where you currently are physically, then you will be charged regular airtime plus 10¢ per minute for long distance. This rate is the same whether you are calling to Canada or the United States.

Receiving a long distance call: Same sitation as before, with me having a 416 (Toronto) area code Fido number. I travel to Montreal (area 514) and my wife calls me from Toronto. She dials my regular Fido number from home, which is a local call to her. Fido then routes my call to my Fido handset in Montreal. I get charged the long distance to receive that call because I am away from my home area. Again I am charged regular airtime plus 10¢ per minute for long distance.

4. Validity Period.

Whenever you do a refill, you'll be given an expiry date. This expiry date is calculated by adding the number of days the voucher you purchased is valid for to the date of your refill. Therefore if you do a refill on January 5st with a 10$ voucher, your new expiry date will be February 4th.

As explained earlier, the expiry date can only be extended, it can't be reduced. Therefore if your current expiry date is October 1st, and you do a refill on September 3rd with a 15$ voucher which is good for 15 days, your expiry date will remain October 1st, it won't go back to September 18th.

As long as you do a refill before your account expire, your unused airtime will be carried over. If you let your account expires, your unused airtime is lost.

When your account is expired or depleted, you can't send or receive calls, send or receive text messages, and people can't leave you voice messages. The only calls you'll be able to do are *46, 611,*868 or 911.

Once your account reaches a balace of 5$ or less, or you are within 5 days of your validity period expiring, you will hear a pre-recorded message indicating this with every outgoing call.

5. Grace Period

Whenever your account validity period expired, you have 180 days to do another refill. After this grace period, your account could be (and will be) deactivated. If it is deactivated, you'll be required to purchase a new SIM to reactivate a new line with a new phone number. A deactivated SIM card can't be reactivated, and you could possibly get back your number ONLY if your account been deactivated for more than 60 days and your number wasn't assigned to someone else yet.

6. Included Services.

Fido prepaid service includes a number of features.

-Voicemail: Airtime is charged for you to check your messages even if you check them from a landline. No charge for callers leaving you a message. To cancel the voice mail just dial ##21# SEND or ##004# SEND. That will cancel the forwarding to the Voice mail.
    To enable it once again just dial *004#3436# SEND

-Call Display: No airtime charges, period.

-Call waiting: You pay airtime charges for however many callers you have on hold/are talking to.

-Call Forwarding: You pay airtime charges for all forwarded calls.

-SMS (Text Messaging), Instant Messaging: 15¢ per message sent free to receive from another mobile phone user. If the message was sent via the internet (email or fido.ca) you will be charged 15 cents.

International sms are allowed and are charged at 20 cents/message sent. It's free to receive: here is the link of the countries were intl sms are possible:
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/domore/tex...#international
    NOTE: If it doesn't work plz call Fido CS and make sure u give them the number where u are sending the sms to+ the receiver's cell provider

-MMS (Picture messasing): 35 cents/message sent. Free to receive. Can only be sent within Canada for now.

-Fido Email: Included with your service is YOURFIDONUMBER@fido.ca. There is no charge to use the Webmail directly on the Fido website. Charges of 15¢ per message apply if you activate the New Message Notification. When you activate the New Message Notification, you'll receive the sender address, subject and the beginning of the message, up to 160 characters. You have the option to select an alias for your Fido email.

-WAP over GPRS: Billed at 3 cents/kb, regardless of the voucher you refilled your account with.

-International calls are now allowed and the rates are available here: http://www.fido.ca/portal/domore/lon...ce.jsp?lang=en
    If intl calls doesn't work please call Fido Customer service so they can activate the service for you

-All Fido Prepaid customers also have free access to the Expanded network. LD charges may apply of course.
    http://www.fido.ca/portal/domore/lon...ce.jsp?lang=en
    In order to know if u are in the Expanded Network u can dial on your phone the *#123#

7. Checking airtime account balance.

Dial *46 (which spells "*go") from your fido prepaid handset. This call is ALWAYS free, and works even if you have a zero balance. Follow the options to either check your balance, add a voucher, buy airtime via InstantRefill, or change your access code.

8. How to refill your account

-*46 using Andrea, a voice activated system where u can do a refill with a voucher or for Instant refill

-all quick access code *868 from your Fido and follow the instructions.
    This option allows you to do a refill without speaking to Andrea. It will just ask you for ur access code and the 14 digit secret number of the voucher

-Refill your account on Fido.ca with the voucher or if you are registered to Instant Refill

Steps:
    1. Log in to "My Account" from the home page or from the Customer Zone section. If you haven't already registered on fido.ca, register now.
    2. Select Replenishment of your prepaid account with a voucher.
    3. Indicate how you would like to refill your prepaid airtime:
    > InstantRefill (by credit card): Every month, on the same date, Fido will charge the amount you’ve selected to your credit card and deposit that amount into your prepaid account.
    > Voucher (purchased in store): enter the secret numbers that appears on your voucher.
    4. Select the refill amount.
    5. Confirm the transaction.

-For more information on Instant refill and Automatic refills please see point #12

9. Activating Fido Prepaid Service

In order to activate Fido's prepaid service, you will need the following:

-Any brand new "Fido in a box", which includes a handset, a SIM and 50$ of airtime. The 50$ of free airtime is valid for 60 days and you have the choice of selecting the rate between the 15¢ per minute anytime or the 40¢/5¢ nights & weekends rate. The 50$ credit is applied immediatly

OR

-A GSM phone operating on the 1900 and 850 MHz band that is capable of accepting Fido SIM cards (i.e. not locked to another provider).

-A Fido SIM card (currently retailing for $25).

-A minimum $10 prepaid airtime voucher to get you going.

NOTE: There are NO activation or annual/monthly licence fees with Fido's prepaid service. There is however a monthly fee of 50¢ deducted from your account on every month to cover the 911 emergency service and no it can't be removed

NOTE#2: In order to get the 50$ airtime credit, you have to purchase a Brand new phone with Fido because the System will give you the 50$ upon verification of the IMEI

10. Migrating from a monthly account to Fido Prepaid Service

You can, at anytime, migrate from your monthly service to prepaid. You can keep the same SIM card and phone number.

As of March 3rd 2004, there is a 25$ fee to migrate from postpaid to prepaid. This fee is minimal compared to the fees charged by the other "Big 3" as they charge up to 85$.

Note that if you purchased a brand new handset from Fido and received promo credits or rebates, you must remain on a monthly service for 90 days before being able to migrate to Fido's prepaid service. If you don't, you'll be charged back for the rebates you received on the phone.

If you subscribed to a Fido Agreement and you decide to migrate to prepaid, this is considered as breaking your contract and therefore you will have to pay the penalty of 20$ per month for each remaining month of your agreement, up to a 200$ maximum. This does not apply if you migrate within your 15 days satisfaction warranty.

Migrations are effective immediatly the same moment you call.

11. Migrating from a Fido Prepaid service to a monthly account

It is also possible to migrate your Fido Prepaid service to a postpaid account. There is no fees to do this, and you can keep your SIM and your phone number.

When you migrate, any balance left on your Fido Prepaid service will be transfered as a credit on your first invoice.

12. InstantRefill

The InstantRefill is a service where you'll be able to purchase airtime directly on the phone, by registering a Canadian credit card.

The vouchers available on InstantRefill are the same as the vouchers found in stores.

For security reasons, registration to InstantRefill requires your Prepaid account details to be entirely up to date and matching your bank/credit cards records. Any mismatch will reject the registration.

Once you are registered, you'll be able to do refills by dialing *110, *115, *120 or *130 the two last digits being the value of the voucher you want to purchase. All the transactions are done through text messaging.

It is essential for the InstantRefill service to work to have the correct SMS Center on your phone (+15149931123) and you must not be blocking your own Caller ID.

13. Automatic Instant Refill

Automatic refill are now available. Please call Fido Customer service to register to Automatic refills
    the amounts available are:
    10$
    20$
    30$
    All for 30 days

After the registration is done, a full 30 days has to pass before the refills start. Therefore, a customer has to do one refill before the service is active.

14. Fido Rewards

Prepaid customers are eligible for the Fido Rewards program. Please refer to the Fido Rewards website for more details.
    To use the Fido dollars, the phone has to be ordered with CS. The phone can be sent COD (Cash on delivery) or paid by Credit card with the representative.

15. Fido Agreements

Prepaid customers cannot take a 24 months agreement. This is reserved for Full Control or Postpaid customers.

16. Fido2Fido and other options

The Fido2Fido option is NOT available on Prepaid. This is a plan reserved for Full Control and Postpaid customers.
    Same thing applies to Free incoming calls, Happy Hour, Intl calls rebate, text message bundles etc...

17. Fido Customer service

There is now a specific number for Prepaid Customers:

1-888-482-3436

18. Change of phone number

u are able to change your phone number by calling Fido customer service or with *46. The fee is 25$. When you call CS you can get 3 choices but not in the IVR (*46)
    You will not be charged only in the following cases:

-U are a victim of harrassement and u can provide CS with a police report
    -U are gonna take the responsibility of an account after a transfer of responsibility
    -U are moving to another local calling area

anything else u will be charged the 25$ and that 25$ has to be in your account before the change is made.

END

Fido Prepaid Service FAQ v1.3

Carrier
    Fido... I mean rogers...whatever it's all the same
    Feedback Score
    19. Other things you can do in the IVR (*46 from your Fido or 1-888-482-3436)

-Change your phone number. As mentionned in #18
    -Reset voice mail access code
    -Add and Remove Lost/Stolen restriction
    -Change of Sim Card and add a new Imei ( when a new phone is purchased as a replacement)
    -Fido Dollars Balance and registration
    -Listen to last 20 Transactions

Phones
    HTC Legend
    i-mate SP3i
    Cingular 3125
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Long distance calls are billed at 20¢ per minute plus the airtime, regardless of the destination (anywhere in Canada & United States). Therefore, if you currently have a 15$ voucher in your account, you'll pay a total of 25¢ per minute.
    Isn't it 35¢? The $15 voucher is 15¢/min, so 15 + 20 = 35

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Daijoubu
    Isn't it 35¢? The $15 voucher is 15¢/min, so 15 + 20 = 35
    at the time the LD rate was 10 cents I'll make the correction

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    As of yesterday, new prepaid customers will the possibility to record a 60 second greeting message for the voice mail.
    Existing customers have to call customer service

Carrier
    WindMobile
    Feedback Score
    If your on rogers and want to switch to Fido and your on a contract I was told you dont have to pay the contract breaking fee becuase its the same company now. If this can be confrimed that be great!
    Come Visit The Farside, If you Dare!

Can you save Al Gore?

*Not the real Adam Savage, just a fan*

Carrier
    Feedback Score
    what does that havce to do with prepaid service

Carrier
    WindMobile
    Feedback Score
    wrong section. I wasnt paying attention

Carrier
    Feedback Score

Exclamation UPDATE to Point#3

Phones
    Siemens CX65[Died]
    LG-8500[In Use]
    Carriers
    Fido[Killed]
    Feedback Score
    Can you use a blackberry on Prepaid

Phones
    BB8830,BBRedPearl 8100
    Carriers
    Bell - Work
    Feedback Score
    So I can text when I'm travelling - Europe, Caribbean etc. - on a prepaid account now? when did this change?
    I don't need to text int'l from Canada, just TO Canada from wherever...and the rate is .40 out, inc $?
    if this is true I's very cool.
    Thanks

Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by nvrnf
    So I can text when I'm travelling - Europe, Caribbean etc. - on a prepaid account now? when did this change?
    I don't need to text int'l from Canada, just TO Canada from wherever...and the rate is .40 out, inc $?
    if this is true I's very cool.
    Thanks
    No, prepaid accounts cannot roam. However, you can text internationally from within Canada.

Phones
    3GS
    Nokia E61
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Ok, I have one line on M2M, but would like to add a prepaid account also. I have a Brand New SIM that came with my Nokia 6126, so if I provide the IMEI of the 6126, I would get a $50 airtime credit and then I can just put that SIM into my V360 right. The IMEI is just used as a freebie right.

Does the referral program apply to prepaid also? Since prepaid accounts don't require credit checks, the name assigned to the account is really pointless right? How would the Fido Dollars be joint to my M2M account then?

Also, do I have any choice over my phone number? Would I get the option to select from a list?

Thank You
    Last edited by jeeva86; 10-31-2006 at 10:13 AM.

Phones
    3GS
    Nokia E61
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    anybody?...

Feedback Score
    does fido prepaid debit you as soon as the phone rings? i've noticed that money to taken out even if i don't answer or the other side doesn't pick up

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast