Phones
    Samsung A900
    Sanyo MM5600
    Samsung A700
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Best Phone for 13 Year Old

My daughter is turning 13 years old in a couple of weeks. I am thinking of buying her a cell phone. What is the best basic phone for a 13 year old?

Phones
    hero
    pre
    others
    Carriers
    sprint,
    Feedback Score
    sanyo 200. she cant rack up huge vision charges, you can limit the calls she can receive/make and it comes in pink

Phones
    Droid Incredible
    Moto Droid(Sold)
    Blackberry Tour(Sold)
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    None. 13 year olds don't need phones.

Phones
    LG P500h Optimus One - great phone!
    LG vx5600
    Carriers
    Telus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullman80
    thats what I was thinking, orr, get a PAYGO phone and tell her you'll only pay XX amt every month towards ins, and the rest is up to her.. lol..

my daughter is about to be 12 and wants a damn phone, I just say no.. lol..

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Though I disagree with your decision to get her a cell phone, i guess in this day and age it's inevitable. At 13 years old I feel that many of a child's actions still require a substantial level of adult supervision and adult transportation, so having a cell phone really isn't necessary in my opinion.

The problem with cell phones and children is that they have become a very large status symbol and distraction.

But you have already made your decision, and your decision is your own, it shouldn't be influenced by some random stranger on a message board. This is why I'd suggest getting verizon service and getting the "LG Migo", a phone designed for children.
    Just go to verizonwireless.com and choose phones and find the "LG Migo"

As the parent you decide who they call out to (by the 4 interchangeable, pre programmed contact numbers), and it has an emergency key... which is essentially, in my mind, all that I see fit for a 13 year old to have. They do not have access to distractive tasks like text messaging and internet use. If this isn't to your taste, or not the service you prefer, I'd get her a "prepaid" service. As always with a prepaid service, when you run out of minutes you can still dial 911.

I feel it's a different story once they reach an age where they can drive and be slightly more independent. Again, I question the necessity for a child who is in school 5/7 days a week, 40 hours a week, to have a cell phone other then for emergency use only.

But it's the real "goal" of why you want her to have the cell phone. Is it to teach her some responsibility, for pure personal use so that she's not tying up a regular phone line, or just solely for emergency use? Everyone has their own reason and that's fine; but you're going to have to pick a device that will best cover the goal of giving her such a device.

If it's for personal use, like many of us use them for, I'd say get the cheapest thing you can get your hands on. Kids lose and break things, so I'd get something that you wouldn't be too upset if damaged and had to be replaced. I would recommend Samsung products on sprints service due to easier usability.

Good luck choosing!
    Last edited by Homertime; 03-05-2006 at 02:08 PM.

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by skullman80

Right there with you; but that doesn't help tmo, he/she was asking our device opinions, not our personal opinions on whether one should be purchased for a child.

But I couldn't agree with you more
    Last edited by Homertime; 03-05-2006 at 02:10 PM.

Carriers
    Telus
    Feedback Score
    I would suggest since its most likely that you'll be adding a line to your account for your daughter...

I would suggest the Samsung A840 as it is a cute rounded phone that she might like and is a good price.

http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/Ph...=1141594216228

Like it or not looks and features matter 100x more to a 13 year old them they do to you.

She would most likely want something along the lines of a Samsung A900 or A920 and would know how to use every single feature on the phone no problem.... but I am assuming you are on a budget and don't want to give her a better phone then yours

She's going to want a camera.... guarenteed
    She's going to want one that doesn't look bad (that means no Sanyos)

just look for one with softer lines and a half decent featureset

Like was already mentioned here... cell phones are status symbols to kids and they want the best they can get

P.S. She will HATE you forever and ever if you got her something like a Migo at 13. Migo's are for kids aged around 4-8.... after that they won't be caught dead with it.

Phones
    Treo 700p
    Samsung A840
    Samsung A900
    Carriers
    Sprint, CDMA, just ported from verizon. So far so good, got my fingers crossed.
    ATT(for 2 weeks, sucked),
    Feedback Score
    Which phone to get your daughter depends on the reasons you are getting it for her in the first place. Will it be purely for vanity/coolness, or is there a logistal/medical/etc reason? Is your daughter good with tech gadgets? Can she be trusted to honor the strings that are attached with respect to minutes/call times/text messages, etc?

I just got a cell phone for my 14 year old daughter, so I do understand. My reasons mostly revolved around being able to keep tabs on her and her being able to reach my at any time for any reason, anywhere. She goes to a different school that is across town and will often use public transportation to get there. I want her to feel safe and to be able to call me for a ride if she should ever need one.

In my case, my daughter is 14 going on 26, and is very proficient with tech gadgets. She is also extremely responisble with respect to the rules of the plan and never makes or takes calls before 6 pm, never goes over her allocated pool of text messages, etc.

I got a family plan and put myself, my wife and my daughter on it. My wife and I both got A840s, and we got my daughter a sanyo mm-8300. She wanted an external lcd for caller id picture pops and a good speaker phone.

I also plan to use it if ever I doubt that she is where she says she is. Since we all have camera phones, if I suspect BS, then I will be asking for a picture of her surroundings or a landmark/sign as proof of her location--just snap a pic and send it to my phone---NOW, thanks! Ahh yes, I know I am a horrible and oppressive father, but I pay the bills, so deal with it.
    Your Mother

Phones
    LG P500h Optimus One - great phone!
    LG vx5600
    Carriers
    Telus
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Safooma
    I also plan to use it if ever I doubt that she is where she says she is. Since we all have camera phones, if I suspect BS, then I will be asking for a picture of her surroundings or a landmark/sign as proof of her location--just snap a pic and send it to my phone---NOW, thanks! Ahh yes, I know I am a horrible and oppressive father, but I pay the bills, so deal with it.

I like that! I'd do the same.. hahah

Phone
    Blackberry 9810, Samsung Skyrocket, iPhone 4S
    Carrier
    AT&T, Sprint
    Feedback Score
    I doubt that would help you much cause is she's as smart as you say, all she has to do is have a bunch of pictures in advance and send you the appropriate one to collaborate where you think she is

If that is one of your main reasons for getting her a phone, then I would suggest you get a phone with GPS or some kind of "Locate Me" service/feature.

Phone
    iPhone 8GB
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    She goes to a different school that is across town and will often use public transportation to get there. I want her to feel safe and to be able to call me for a ride if she should ever need one.

Again, as someone who disagrees with children with cell phones, the top statement is always reason enough for such a device, I couldn't agree with you more.

Your last comment is also very intriguing... I like the idea

Phones
    a920 (back to)
    m610
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kellybrf
    sanyo 200. she cant rack up huge vision charges, you can limit the calls she can receive/make and it comes in pink
    That is a little moot. Security>Lock Service>Vision.

Phones
    Treo 700p
    Samsung A840
    Samsung A900
    Carriers
    Sprint, CDMA, just ported from verizon. So far so good, got my fingers crossed.
    ATT(for 2 weeks, sucked),
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hodula1
    I doubt that would help you much cause is she's as smart as you say, all she has to do is have a bunch of pictures in advance and send you the appropriate one to collaborate where you think she is

If that is one of your main reasons for getting her a phone, then I would suggest you get a phone with GPS or some kind of "Locate Me" service/feature.

LOL, she already said she could do that....I will let her keep thinking she can. I will be VERY specific should I ever have to call her bluff. No way her camera has enough memory to cover all of the possible scenarios.

I have considered the GPS/locate me phones, actually.....

Phones
    iPhone 3G, 8900 Javelin, G600, Pebl, v80 w/850,
    Stolen - iPhone 3G, V620, Krzr, W810i, Dash. Gotta love NY
    MPx 300 *****es!!
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Talking

Get her an a900, it looks really cool, and the battery will be dead before she could do any damage to your bill

Phones
    VX8100
    v3m
    Carrier
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    If you don't know where your 13 year old daughter is at ALL times, then you suck at being a parent..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast