Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: V3c viewable wallpaper/screen size info...

Device(s)
    Moto V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score

V3c viewable wallpaper/screen size info...

V3C screen size/background size info:

Total Screen size: 176 (width) X 220 (height) pixels / 1.222" W X 1.528" H inches

Visible portion (ie: the part of the picture you can see above an below the banners):

176 W X 141 H pixels / 1.222" W X 0.979" H

If you center and color in/and or black out the portions above and below you'll
    have exactly what you want in the center of the screen, It also will show up nicely on the outside screen - without showing the colored/blacked out portions.

Note: be sure to remember when centering it is an 'odd' size to fit between the banners and time&date info and will need to be 1 pixel/.005" higher/towards the top to fit correctly!

Visible portion + parts behind the banner & time date:
    176 W x 186 H pixels / 1.222" W X 1.292" H

Not sure if this is useful info for anyone else or not, didn't come up by searching and I thought other people besides me would like to be able to have visible 'exactly' what we want as a background image. (that and a complete lack of anything else to do on a rainy sunday)

Andrew

Device(s)
    Motorola RAZR V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    This info actually helps me out a lot. Much appreciated!

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless, Page Plus
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin10000

Visible portion (ie: the part of the picture you can see above an below the banners):

176 W X 141 H pixels / 1.222" W X 0.979" H
    Though, the visible portion can change, when you get that "third", status, line at the bottom. I try to make sure that the image is such that it still looks OK whenever the "third" line appears.

Device(s)
    Moto V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    Though, the visible portion can change, when you get that "third", status, line at the bottom.
    Ok, no pics (at work). But here's the picture dimensions and how to center it with a "3rd status" bar.

176 W X 121 H / 1.222" W X 0.840" H - viewable w/3rd status bar.

40 pixels H / 0.278" @ top
    center (picture)
    59 pixels H / 0.410 @ bottom

Note: the inch dimensions are given at a 144 per square inch pixel rate and WILL change depending on how you are editing the photo!!!
    Last edited by assassin10000; 03-06-2006 at 02:09 PM.

Device(s)
    EnV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Personally I just use a 176X220 picture that looks centered between the two (or three) bars, yet is still full-sized. It's far easier that way than having to bother with precise dimensions that still might look funky if you have one more or less bar than you usually encounter throughout the day. I generally like the 2 bar look, so whenever I get the third, light blue bar, I tend to get rid of it as soon as possible.

The key is to start with a larger picture, then resize it so that it still takes up 176x220 pixels, but the "meat" of the picture/design/whatever is centered between where all of the potential bars show up. That way the extra bar won't "push" your wallpaper up when you miss a call or whatever, just cover some of the (hopefully) unimportant bottom portion.

I'll upload a few pictures to help illustrate what I'm trying to say:

Note that the "meat" of the wallpaper, the dot, still looks centered, bar or no bar. The bar has moved up to cover more of the wallpaper's bottom, but the wallpaper itself has not shifted in position (as I've seen happen with smaller wallpapers.)

Sorry about the barrel distortion of the camera + glare, it's hard to take a picture of a phone in a case with a shiny lcd protector.

Not trying to knock the OP's method, as it's probably the easiest way to figure out dimensions. I'd just rather resize a picture through trial and error until it looks good, bar or no bar, and doesn't shift around. It's easiest with abstract wallpapers like mine, but with pictures of friends/family etc... it's a bit of an artform making sure no one's chin gets covered with the light blue bar.
    Last edited by prototypechild; 03-06-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Device(s)
    DROID by Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    I think some of this info was posted in a V3c wallpaper thread...
    >>Recent Cellular Phone History: ...Motorola RIZR Z6tv, LG VX9100 enV2, Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola DROID, Google Nexus One, HTC Tattoo, Apple iPhone 4

Motorola Droid [Gingerbread GPA12 with 1.00Ghz_LV_V0.1.zip 450MHz/1GHz Interactive via Peter Alfonso]

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by prototypechild
    I'll upload a few pictures to help illustrate what I'm trying to say:

How did you get the wall paper to show on the outside LCD too?

Device(s)
    Moto V3c
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    It's far easier that way than having to bother with precise dimensions...

The key is to start with a larger picture, then resize it so that it still takes up 176x220 pixels, but the "meat" of the picture/design/whatever is centered between where all of the potential bars show up. That way the extra bar won't "push" your wallpaper up when you miss a call or whatever, just cover some of the (hopefully) unimportant bottom portion.

Not trying to knock the OP's method, as it's probably the easiest way to figure out dimensions. I'd just rather resize a picture through trial and error until it looks good, bar or no bar, and doesn't shift around. It's easiest with abstract wallpapers like mine, but with pictures of friends/family etc... it's a bit of an artform making sure no one's chin gets covered with the light blue bar.
    Actually, once the picture is sized - you just increase the size of the "Canvas" around the picture to the 176 W X 220 H so the picture is centered and doesn't shift around in the manner you're talking about.

Thats how those my backgrounds were set up, as seen in the screen shots at the top... no movement if the 3rd bar pops up - and no cut off chin

But, to each their own... Some pictures just wont come out 'right' to me by just taking the 176x220 area and centering it. The other options give you a wider/widescreen type photo possibility.

Andrew
    Last edited by assassin10000; 03-07-2006 at 05:57 PM.

Device(s)
    EnV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltA
    How did you get the wall paper to show on the outside LCD too?
    All v3c's have the wallpaper on the outside lcd as well (as long as the flip is closed.)

Device(s)
    EnV Touch
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by assassin10000
    Actually, once the picture is sized - you just increase the size of the "Canvas" around the picture to the 176 W X 220 H so the picture is centered and doesn't shift around in the manner you're talking about.

Thats how those my backgrounds were set up, as seen in the screen shots at the top... no movement if the 3rd bar pops up - and no cut off chin

But, to each their own... Some pictures just wont come out 'right' to me by just taking the 176x220 area and centering it. The other options give you a wider/widescreen type photo possibility.

Andrew
    But when you do it the way I described you can view the picture fullsize and it takes up the entire screen. Widescreen is good, but I like it when the pictures takes up all the available space

Device(s)
    MOT Droid Mini,
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    All v3c's have the wallpaper on the outside lcd as well (as long as the flip is closed.)
    Wow, you are right! I just never noticed it.

The reason being that it seems that the outside LCD picks up on a rather featureless piece of sky from the larger picture I use for the inside LCD wallpaper.

I guess that makes for another consideration when making your own wallpaper. Not only do you need to take into account the various bars on the inside LCD, you need to take into account the small piece of the wallpaper that will be displayed on the outside LCD too.

Device(s)
    Motorola V3C
    Carrier(s)
    VZW
    Feedback Score
    Mine...doesn't, actually. It just gives me a solid orange background nomatter what my wallpaper is. Is there a setting/SEEM I need to twink?

GATW_01.15.04 flashed to GATW_01.15.04P

Feedback Score
    you can select a different background for the outside lcd?!?!

whats up yo

Device(s)
    Just left Nextel after ten years
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon&Cingular,EX-Nextel User
    Feedback Score
    You simply dug up an old thread is all(check the dates here). On V3c software versions prior to version .04(.04p), such as .02/.03, the outer LCD displayed a portion of the inside image. When the update for .04 came into play it now puts an orange display on the outer LCD. There IS a seem edit(check the other current thread on this pertaining to the .04 software, the seem edit is in there towards the end, not hard to find) to regain SOME of this ability BUT it severely screws up the portion of the photo displayed on the outer LCD, stretching it all out of shape. Honestly, after seeing the results,I went back to orange as it just wasn't worth it at this point. The issue IS being worked on by folks here, looking for a way to regain the proper proportions.
    Doc
    "The only thing that evil needs in order to triumph, is for Good men to do nothing." Edmun Burke
    "I was killing people while you were still swimming around in your fathers balls!" Repo Man

Device(s)
    LG Dare
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    On .04p try a picture size of 320 wide by 200 height and the outer picture does not get distorted as much and still looks pretty good inside.

320 width may not be dead on but it looked good enough for me so I stopped experimenting so you may want to experiment more.

Try this one for example:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast