Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Verizon's phone selection sucks... someone help me pick the least of all evils

Feedback Score

Verizon's phone selection sucks... someone help me pick the least of all evils

I'm looking to get a new phone, to upgrade from my current v60s, which is a great phone, but is quite dated.

Important features to me are:
    - Camera phone (in case of car accident, emergency something or other, or just taking neat pictures)
    - Speaker phone (have this feature in my current phone, why get a phone without it?)
    - Bluetooth (syncing phone calendar with Outlook calendar, transferring mp3s/pictures to/from the phone, and possibly for use of a headset though I never talk on the phone while driving)
    - Good reception/voice quality (my current phone is great in this regard... don't want to downgrade)
    - Not ridiculously large (why is it all the new phones are getting BIGGER? my v60s is smaller than all the phones with their super new up to date super small technology)

Nice to have:
    - Preferably a clam shell
    - Good quality color screen
    - Upgradeable memory (miniSD, MMC, etc)
    - Video recording
    - No crummy Verizon UI or ability to at least get rid of it
    - All the basic features we've come to expect from a cell phone (calendar, alarm clock, place to store notes, calculator, other various utilities)
    - A high level of customization/configuration

Now, finding a phone from verizon's line up that matches this is pretty difficult. I've looked at the E815, Razr and 6256i. The E815 is a bit on the bulky side, the Razr has severely crippled BT and has verizon's crummy UI, and the 6256i is also on the bulky side (wider and taller than my v60s) and has a less than satisfactory camera.

I really dislike the interface on my v60s, and based on heritage, I'm guessing the other moto phones have a similar interface. I owned the nokia 8260 years ago and really loved the intuitive interface and level of customization it had, so the 6256i would have my heart, if it weren't for it's bulk and not so great camera.

Upgrading to an aftermarket firmware is acceptable (apparently you can put the Alltel firmware on the Razr, and restore BT functionality -- correct me if I'm wrong, though).

I'm at a loss as to what phone to get. Should I just wait a while, and see what new phones Verizon comes out with? Will they come out with any new phones soon, that aren't sucky, crippled, and stuck with their crappy interface?

I'm willing to listen to everyone's advice... maybe you can convince me that their phones don't suck
    Last edited by supziez; 03-07-2006 at 11:11 PM.

Phones
    HTC Touch
    Motorola E815 (Now Retired)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Sounds like you described the Moto E815 in ur post. I have it and it's awesome. I have retired my ipod since getting it. it's also nice to catch up on my tv shows on my commute to work (with the e815)

Phones
    Sony Ericsson C905
    BlackBerry 8900
    iPhone (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile DE
    Feedback Score
    No verizon ui leaves you with the e815. Better hurry as well, as cheap as they're priced now it looks like they are trying to get rid of them.

Carriers
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    E815 or flash the RAZR with Alltel firmware. The bluetooth on both phones can be uncrippled.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson C905
    BlackBerry 8900
    iPhone (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile DE
    Feedback Score
    Razr is out, he wants expandable memory.

Feedback Score
    Expandable memory is a nice to have... I could probably live without it.

E815 is on the bulky side. Taller and wider than my current phone, though I'm not saying no to it. I just want to make sure I don't get it, then find out there was something better I didn't know about.

Given that Verizon is trying to get sell off all of the E815's, does that mean they'll be releasing new phones soon? What would be really great is if they got the 6165i, which has a better camera & screen than the 6256i, but I guess that is wishful thinking.

Phones
    Sony Ericsson C905
    BlackBerry 8900
    iPhone (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile DE
    Feedback Score
    I think their only reason for selling them off is it's the last vcast phone without the new ui and vcast music. I haven't seen anything substantial about new models coming out soon.

Carriers
    Verizon (now)
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Every Verizon non-PDA phone here on out, including Nokia, will have the ugly red interface. As of now, Motorolas are the only ones that offer a way to flash over it though. I've not seen non-Verizon firmware for Samsung and Nokia phones. Some have suggested that maybe some phones carried in a limited fashion or through an indirect might not have the interface, but I saw an online glimpse of a potential Nokia slider with Verizon branding, and Verizon's red interface. I personally cannot stand that stupid interface. The whole fun of a new phone is getting a different look and feel and not looking at the same things over and over. The E815 and 6256i are the last of the higher end phones without the hideous interface, so in a sense they are an upgrade from the newer phones that will come out.

Phones
    iPhone 4,HTC Thunderbolt
    iPhone 4
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Carriers
    at&t
    Feedback Score
    I would say you are looking at the e815 which it seems everyone one here agrees with. I like that phone when I had it. The only reason I got rid of mine is that I was offered a a950 at a great price and the Verizon UI doesn't bother me. It was a great phone though, it was easy to put your own ringers on it, it had a great camera, or at least I thought so. It seems big but I really didn't think it was in the end. It has good sound quality and was loud, I thought the speaker phone was actually usable, the only thing that you aren't going to really have is the Bluetooth, but I think if you look about on the threads here there is a way to unlock it.

Phone
    iPhone 4 | Droid X
    Carrier
    AT&T | Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Yeah, if I didn't have the XV6700 I would probably have gone back to the e815.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by coinstar99
    ... the only thing that you aren't going to really have is the Bluetooth, but I think if you look about on the threads here there is a way to unlock it.
    Is bluetooth on the E815 locked down somehow? From reading around this forum, I was under the impression that it comes fully enabled from Verizon.

Phone
    Android/Linux
    Feedback Score
    e815 or 6256i

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    The only thing that bothers me about Verizon's phones is lack of an Email client. With Cingular or T-Mobile, many of their phones have an email client built in, and some of them such as the email client on Samsung or Sony-Ericsson phones even work with attachments, and can be programmed to check your email at time intervals.

With Verizon I know you can download a program like Email executive, but then it is a stand-alone program and does not integrate with the rest of the phone. That means you cannot access the email addresses in your address book and must keep a 2nd address book inside the email program. It also means they cannot auto-check your email in time intervals, and as far as I know you cannot download or upload attachments with any of those programs.

So if I want to have a somewhat normal and easy way to access my email, I either have to change to Cingular or T-Mobile, or else get a PDA phone from Verizon and pay an extra $25/month.

Phones
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Moto X XT1053 T-Mobile Moto X XT1060 DE VZW
    Motorola Razr M XT907 DE
    Carriers
    Verizon
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Or use Gmail and the e815, or any other WAP 2.0 capable handset.
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Feedback Score
    If you compare the Verizon phone selection to the other major carriers, Cingular, Sprint, T-Mobile, etc, the Verizon selction is BORING. Why it takes 6 months for Verizon to come out with a new phone, such as the Nokia 6265 is unbelievable. I'm now out of contract and am seriously thinking of jumping ship due to such a dysmal choice of phone. How about it Verizon, give your customers what they are looking for.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast