Thread: Turn off DDTM to accept calls during data transfer

Phone
    Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score

Turn off DDTM to accept calls during data transfer

As another Web site reports, if you turn off DDTM on your EV-DO phone, it may then interrupt data transfers in order to present an incoming call:

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?p=924668

This works very well on my Sanyo 9000. Other model owners report varying degrees of success.

On the Sanyo 9000 you will need your MSL to do this. The DDTM setting is in the same ##3282# menu as Hybrid.

The mystery, of course, is Why did Sprint and Sanyo turn this off by default? Did they really believe that their customers actually wanted to miss important calls while killing time watching TV?

I should point out that after accepting or declining the call, Sprint TV Live and MobiTV don't always recover very gracefully. (For example, they often drop into 1xRTT mode, at least temporarily, presumably because they think that EV-DO must have had a problem!) So given these minor glitches, I can imagine Sprint and Sanyo deciding not to make this the default, simply to avoid complaints.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 03-19-2006 at 08:20 PM.

Phones
    Motorola Moto X
    Motorola Moto X
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    There is a reason behind everything.

I enabled this on my a900 a few days ago when this story came out, works great as far as I can tell.

Phones
    Touch PRO (Sprint)
    Moto HINT (US CELL)
    Carriers
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by lgmayka

The mystery, of course, is Why did Sprint and Sanyo turn this off by default? Did they really believe that their customers actually wanted to miss important calls while killing time watching TV?

I can imagine Sprint and Sanyo deciding not to make this the default, simply to avoid complaints.
    Kinda answered your own question here didnt ya?

Phone
    Sprint Treo 700p
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This might be unrelated, but I turned on this feature yesterday and today, one of my friends swears up and down that he called me and left a voicemail. My phone was on during this time, and I wasn't doing anything on it. I still haven't gotten it. Also today, I recieved a missed call alert at 11pm from a call that was made to my phone at 7:59pm. I have always had 4-5 bars in the area where it happened, so I know its not a reception issue.

Like I said, hopefully it's unrelated but I might do back to the default setting if anything else weird happens.

Carriers
    Boost Mobile,
    Feedback Score
    As I've detailed on Sprint PCS Info, there are several network reasons why you would want DDTM/DOTM enabled. It is important to consider future network posturing in Sprint's decision making, not simply one functionality.
    PhoneNews.com - Complete Wireless Industry Coverage
    News - Phone Encyclopedia - Reviews - Nerds

ChristopherPrice.net | iConsole

Phone
    Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat
    As I've detailed on Sprint PCS Info, there are several network reasons why you would want DDTM/DOTM enabled. It is important to consider future network posturing in Sprint's decision making, not simply one functionality.
    But that "one functionality" is the primary reason that people have cell phones!--to receive important incoming calls. OK, maybe that's second to the ability to make important calls, but the point is that the first and greatest reason to have a cell phone, for most people, is voice calls.

If Sprint's future strategy is to sacrifice voice calling capability (e.g., receiving important incoming calls while killing time watching TV) in favor of gee-whiz features, Sprint may need to rethink. IMHO, of course.

In fact, the implications of your comments are actually even more worrying. You may be implying that while a customer is waiting for an important incoming call and hence avoiding any data transfer, the phone may autonomously start its own data transfer and hence miss the important call. I guarantee that customers will consider this an absolutely unacceptable bug, and return the phone. The only tolerable version of this behavior would be an ability to schedule any such routine maintenance for, say, 2 a.m.
    Last edited by lgmayka; 03-20-2006 at 05:40 AM.

Phone
    Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by troll565
    Like I said, hopefully it's unrelated but I might do back to the default setting if anything else weird happens.
    I'll be watching for these glitches too, but you do have a Samsung A900, on which some other people have seen problems with this feature. I'm hoping that the Sanyo 9000's implementation is bug-free.

Phones
    LG G2
    LG G2
    Carrier
    AT&T
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by hatoncat
    I used the info from your site and it works great! I was even loading a long site and was interrupted by my phone ringing witch as you can imagine is major to me. I thought it funny that when the call was over it asked me if I wanted to resume, but it did take over where it left off.

Thats like asking someone, after they have punched out, if they want to leave.
    DOTA and push-email
    So now I have to look(can't wait for it and I think Sprint will benifit from it also.) for pushmail, but what is DOTA?
    Google’s goal appears to be nothing short of world domination. The technology giant may be working toward a future where it powers our smartphones, our tablets, our computers, the services we access on our devices and the networks we rely on for connectivity at home and on the go.

Phone
    Sprint HTC Touch Pro 2
    Carrier
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    This article describes DOTA (farther down the page):

http://www.sprintpcsinfo.com/modules...=print&sid=972

By the way, I think push-mail is already available on Business Connection Personal Edition.