Thread: 10-10 LD dial arounds & wireless phones

Phones
    Nokia 5310 w/Jabra BT250V handsfree, Nokia 6010, Nokia 6030
    Nokia 6310i, Nokia 8310 (Europe)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile US, Fido, T-Mobile NL, Orange IL
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeshulEd
    just remeber cingular is not at fault whne you use these 3rd parties that"claim" to have lower charges and you get a 700.00 bill , the only way you wont be charges intl from cingular is if you dial an 1800 number like w/ calling cards

3rd parties = BIG HEADACHES
    I've been using Gorilla Mobile for at least four years with no problems whatsoever. Unless you've used third-party services you really do not know. Onesuite works quite well also and will save you substantial money.
    Moderator yahoogroups forum T-Mobile-US http://groups.yahoo.com/group/T-Mobile-US

Phones
    S4, wife S5, partner Galaxy Light
    S4
    wife S5
    Carrier
    T-M
    Feedback Score
    I use both www.onesuite.com and www.tel3advantage.com.

They both offer PINless calling (you go online and preregister the phones you'll be using, which allows you to avoid having to enter a PIN). They both allow you to store speed dial numbers where you enter 2 digits + the # sign.
    Calls to Bangkok are 5 cents on OneSuite and 6 cents on Tel3. Elsewhere in Thailand it costs about 10 cents on each service.
    I use these services it from home as well to most countries. Unlike the "liquor store" type cards, there are no "gotchas" like weekly charges, 5 minute rounding, 50 cents "bong" (connect) charges etc.
    If you call certain numbers a lot from your cel, program in the access number to the service, enter a "p" (pause) and then the speed dial number you have stored w. the service. The whole process takes only about 2-3 seconds longer than dialing directly.

...mike
    GoogleVoice (domestic call forwarding and cheap intl. calls) Use GV to give us a "home" number in a 2nd location
    3 T-Mobile lines - Unlimited talk and text. 1G data on each line . $90/mo. We have had no landline in 8 years

Phone
    Treo 650
    Carrier
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    This is what I do every week for hours on end. I get a prepaid card online from phoneshark.com. Then I dial the access #, enter my PIN and then the phone number. They even offer cards that are rechargeable, so I have had the same PIN for a year now and I know it by heart. Also, there is even more of a discount if you use one of their toll numbers instead of an 800#. It makes no difference for us cellphone users with free long distance to call a toll # vs. a toll-free #, so you get an even better rate!

Again, I've been doing this for a LONG time and it works like a charm. Good luck to you!

Phones
    Palm Treo 680,
    Sierra AirCard 860,
    Moto L2 & L6, Nokia 6015i
    Carriers
    lots of orange,
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    Anyway, the first thing to understand is that dial-around "10-10" type of numbers do not work with cell phones because carriers block it. They don't want to lose business.
    The main reason that wireless carriers (and CLECs/VoIP providers/etc.) don't support "1010" dialarounds, receiving collect calls, etc. is *not* so that they can charge what they think the market can bear, but because supporting billing for calls made via "1010" dialarounds, collect calls, etc. requires dealing with billing records coming from lots of third parties, and between a lack of demand and a lack of a requirement to handle third-party billing, they simply never set up their systems to handle it. Even back in the '90s when Bell-affiliated wireless carriers were required to offer a choice of LD carriers to their customers, LD carriers (other than AT&T and in some cases Sprint, IIRC) usually had to direct-bill since the carriers couldn't do billing on their behalf. When I had cell service with BellSouth Mobility back in the day, I had LD from AT&T then from LCI (now part of Qwest), and I got separate bills from both...

-SC
    red: / yellow: / pink: / orange: / Little Rock blue: / Metro: uh, no.

"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune

Phones
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 5
    iPhone 4
    Carriers
    Solavei
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Interesting..... I would imagine that as people make the transition from fixed wireline phones to wireless cell phones, there will probably be an increased need to have a choice of LD providers, and at that time maybe regulators will force wireless carriers to allow for 3rd party billing.
    I DON'T HAVE A SIGNATURE....SORRY

Phone
    Treo 650
    Carrier
    Cingular Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by bobolito
    Interesting..... I would imagine that as people make the transition from fixed wireline phones to wireless cell phones, there will probably be an increased need to have a choice of LD providers, and at that time maybe regulators will force wireless carriers to allow for 3rd party billing.
    Yea, possibly. But personally, I don't see the need, except maybe for the little extra convenience of not having to dial an access number and use a pre-paid PIN, which takes 2 seconds once you're used to it.

Also, for roaming outside of the United States, there is a great way around the outrageous roaming charges Cingular charges. When in Europe, I simply pop in a local SIM, have all calls forwarded to an 800#, which in turn forwards the calls to whatever local number you choose. You can even tweak it to which calls you want to let through, which to force into voicemail, etc. It's amazing. Instead of paying something like $1.49/min., I pay around 12c/min.

Thanks goodness for GSM!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2