Thread: My experiences with the Ericsson T300 and the Nokia 7210

Device(s)
    Nokia 6600/6620, MPX 220, SMT 5600
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATTWS GSM, T-Mo
    Feedback Score

Lightbulb My experiences with the Ericsson T300 and the Nokia 7210

Just got an Ericsson T300 (T-Mobile branded) and a Nokia 7210. I'd like to share some of my observations (and vent a little bit).

Ericsson T300:
    The one I have is made in Malaysia with software version R1C001. The phone appears to be very sturdy, very brick like feeling too. I was worried that the battery door may become a source of squeaky noise but fortunately that is not the case. Keypad and the joystick are both very easy to use, menu response is good as well. Polyphonic ringers sound pretty clear and loud. RF performance appears to be better than the T68i I used to have (T300 display more bars than the T68i with both sitting side by side on my desk). However I also found a few problems: First thing is a strange buzzing noise from the earpiece when the call in connected, it sounds like the RF pulse which makes me wonder if my brain is getting fried big time. Second problem is the volume slide on the side, it it somewhat difficult to adjust compared to my T39 and T68i, I don't know if this is specific to my phone or it applies to all T300. Next I also noticed the when you slide down during phone idling screen, it doesn't provide an estimate of the talk time/stand-by time left. Not a big deal just not as fancy as T39 or T68i. The earpiece volume doesn't sound as loud as my T39 or T68i. I have not used the phone in a very noisy environment but the max volume in a quiet room is not as loud as if you are using a small speakerphone. Anyway I think the overall build quality is okay but the pulse-like noise is really bothering me. If you have a T300, can you tell me if you have noticed some of the same problems? Can they be fixed by a software upgrade? If so, what is the software version of your T300.

Now on to the Nokia 7210:
    First impression of this phone is "wow, this is Nokia's answer to the Ericsson T68i". It looks and feels longer than it actually is. After putting the Nokia 7210 right next to the Ericsson T300, the two phones basically have the same height. It looks sleek with the silver lining and keys on the faceplate but I am somewhat reserved about the keypad arrangement. If you have been used to any other phones, getting used to the wider gap between keys and smaller keys may take a little more time. I am fairly fast at typing in my voicemail related key strokes but with the Nokia 7210, I have to look at the keypad in order to make sure not hitting the wrong keys. The polyphonic ringers on the 7210 sound kind of muffled, not as crystal clear as other phones. Also if you are trying to assign a unique ringer to a caller group, you can only assign ring tone from the root level instead of being able to pick one from the ringers folder. However you can pick a default ringer from anywhere in the phone to be used as a default ringer. Another thing I noticed is the brightness of the screen. The color screen on 7210 is darker compared to the Ericsson T68 or T300. Even if you adjust the brightness on the Nokia to the highest level, it actually blurs out the color/picture (looks foggy). The built-in speaker phone works very well and it is very clear too. Menu system as usuall is very user friendly. However the phone I used/tested produces hissing noise if the frequency of the voice through the earpiece is a little bit high, I think the OEM used cheap speaker for the earpiece. The volume through the earpiece can be adjusted to be very loud. The digital clock time display when the phone is in stand-by mode reminds me of the Ericsson T68i and T300. Overall I think the 7210 is the answer to the Ericsson T300, not T68i. The T68 is still far more advanced(with bluetooth, infrared and sync) technologically than a lot of other phones.

After playing with both phones for a while, I can't help but wonder why is it so hard to produce a well-made phone in every aspect? I also realized how much I miss my Ericsson T39. If Sony Ericsson can do a better job on the RF performance for the T68, that is going to be another excellent phone as well. Anyway, hope this brief posting is helpful to those of you who are interested in learning more about the T300 and 7210.

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks for the little write up MobilityStar!

I've been contemplating buying the 7210 for a while now b/c I, too, can't stand the poor RF of the T68i. I also have a T300. I agree with everything you say - the phone is sturdy and solid, menus are adequately fast, and the max volume is not loud enough. However, I have yet to experience the RF pulsing sound that you're describing. I DEFINITELY get that sound on my T68i... it's very apparent. But one of things I liked about the T300 was that it didn't make any RF interference noises. Maybe my hearing is going.

There are few things that are holding me back from buying the 7210. 1) No bluetooth. 2) No audio with MMS and 3) the screen flicker. Have you experienced this flicker problem that everyone has been describing? You were fairly thorough with your observations... so I'm a bit surprised you didn't mention it. Apparently, if you have a very colorful wallpaper or one with a lot of complex colors, you will see the phone's LCD flicker and you'll see some banding - kind of like when your phone rings and its next to your monitor. It's a result of Nokia using a passive matrix LCD instead of an active matrix one, like Samsung uses. If you haven't experienced this - sorry for pointing it out to you. And if you haven't experienced this, maybe you got an updated LCD.
    Washington D.C.
    Cingular Wireless
    Blackberry 8700c, PalmOne Treo 650, SE T616 > T637, Nokia 6610, SE T68i , SE T300

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATTWS GSM, T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Hi GTwinkie,

Thank you for the follow up on your T300 and T68i. After reading your post, I changed the wallpaper on the Nokia 7210 to 'spectrum' - the one preloaded on the phone. I am not a big fan on wallpaper so there was no wallpaper setup previously. 'Spectrum' appears to be the most colorful one that comes with the phone. However, I didn't notice any flickering on the LCD. Maybe I do have an upgraded LCD screen? Anyway the color screen on 7210 is somewhat disappointing (I used a lot of Sprint color screen Vision phones so maybe I am spoiled). Also considering the high price $300+ for the 7210 without bluetooth, I think I will either stick to a good working T300 or T68i with firmware upgrade.

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by MobilityStar
    Hi GTwinkie,

Thank you for the follow up on your T300 and T68i. After reading your post, I changed the wallpaper on the Nokia 7210 to 'spectrum' - the one preloaded on the phone. I am not a big fan on wallpaper so there was no wallpaper setup previously. 'Spectrum' appears to be the most colorful one that comes with the phone. However, I didn't notice any flickering on the LCD. Maybe I do have an upgraded LCD screen? Anyway the color screen on 7210 is somewhat disappointing (I used a lot of Sprint color screen Vision phones so maybe I am spoiled). Also considering the high price $300+ for the 7210 without bluetooth, I think I will either stick to a good working T300 or T68i with firmware upgrade.
    How new is your 7210?

Go on the Nokia forum and do a search for 7210 flickering. There are several really long threads... one of which a guy posts various samples of wallpapers that cause this problem. I doubt the one that was preloaded, although the most colorful, is one that would cause flickering... Nokia would be shooting themselves in the foot if they preloaded a wallpaper that triggered its bug.

But hey... if you don't like wallpaper... dont' use it and save yourself the headache.

Device(s)
    W380a
    Carrier(s)
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    lol what's the point of the colour screen if u can't have a nice looking wall paper

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATTWS GSM, T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    Not sure when it was manufactured but it is loaded with software version 3.08 (or 3.09). Thank you for the info on getting different wallpaper files from the postings on the forum. I have decided that it is hitting eBay and probably won't even try to see if it has a flickering problem with the LCD screen. After using T68i for a while, the 7210 is simply not good enuf with all the hype and high price.

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    But isn't the superior RF vs. the T68i good enough reason to keep it?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular/ATTWS GSM, T-Mo
    Feedback Score
    No, I don't like the cheap speaker used in the phone's built-in earpiece. If you call 611 with the handset, there is a decent amount of hissing noise with the T-Mobile female voice. The frequency range supported by the cheap speaker is simply terrible. To me this is very annoying, more annoying than the weak RF on the T68i. I live in an area that has fairly strong signal coverage by T-Mobile so that also contributed the decision. Besides, I also have a T39 which can be a good backup. I am also thinking about getting a Motorola or Samsung as a backup. Too bad the Nokia didn't make the cut, I have not had a Nokia for a while and was very hopeful of this one, but...

Device(s)
    Nokia 5300
    Carrier(s)
    T-mobile
    Feedback Score
    Hi,

In regards to the 7210, I have f/w 3.08. Found out that f/w 4.18 is available. Took my 7210 to a Nokia svc center, they are shipping the 7210 to Nokia FL, to do the f/w update.

I've downloaded a pic that does not flicker. But I have seen the flicker on my phone. I hope the new f/w addresses this & fixes it. I didn't see it as one of the things it fixes, but I have my fingers crossed.

Also in the caller group, f/w 4.18 will allow you to set a poly tone. That's a nice update!

Go to Nokia's thread, I have a post in regards to f/w 4.18. Also a list of what the f/w update will do.

I do wish the 7210 has voice dialing & voice command. I really don't care for bluetooth, since it's so expensive.

Hope this helps........

Ghost®

Device(s)
    RIM Blackberry 8700c
    Carrier(s)
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Originally posted by Ghostrider
    Hi,

In regards to the 7210, I have f/w 3.08. Found out that f/w 4.18 is available. Took my 7210 to a Nokia svc center, they are shipping the 7210 to Nokia FL, to do the f/w update.

I've downloaded a pic that does not flicker. But I have seen the flicker on my phone. I hope the new f/w addresses this & fixes it. I didn't see it as one of the things it fixes, but I have my fingers crossed.

Also in the caller group, f/w 4.18 will allow you to set a poly tone. That's a nice update!

Go to Nokia's thread, I have a post in regards to f/w 4.18. Also a list of what the f/w update will do.

I do wish the 7210 has voice dialing & voice command. I really don't care for bluetooth, since it's so expensive.

Hope this helps........

Ghost®
    What do you mean Bluetooth is so expensive? All you need is a USB dongle that you can pick up from CompUSA for $49.99. Works great. Or you can online to www.belkin.com and get 50% off all Bluetooth peripherals. Do a search in these forums for "Belkin sale" or something and it will come up. That's not expensive!