Thread: ticket - fail to have insurance card

Feedback Score

Toronto ticket - fail to have insurance card

So I was making a right turn and our stupid minivan always makes a squealing noise whenever I turn unless I go at 2 km/h, but anyways, a cop happened to be going in the opposite direction at the time and he gives me the evil eye and immediately makes a u-turn and pulls me over. He asks for the regular stuff (drivers license, ownership & proof of insurance) and I'm getting all the documents ready which were with some other documents at the time and sorting them out when the officer just reaches through the window and grabs everything (can he do that without a search warrant?) and unfortunately my mom forgot to change the insurance card with the new card you receive when you renew the insurance, so the one I had was outdated by a few months and the cop gave me a ticket for "fail to have insurance card". Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to get the ticket thrown out or at least reduced? Also, does anyone know if this counts as a conviction and affect my insurance rates if I do not contest it?

Phone
    iPhone
    Carrier
    AT&T (R.I.P. Chirp Chirp)
    Feedback Score
    I'm sure that with proof that you have a newer one you should be fine and get off with just court charges
    HoFo Member Since February 2004

Still n00bin' around.

Phone
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    Happened to a friend here. Took the insurance card to court (which had proof that it was valid during the time of the ticket, she just forgot to put it in the car) and charges were dropped.

Telephonically NEVER satisfied.

Feedback Score
    Yes he can

When you make your court appearance, just let the Judge know you had the new ins slip but like most people forgot to replace it, it will most likely be tossed out.

No it doesn't affect your insurance.

whatelse did he charge you with?

Feedback Score
    yeah like what did he pull u over for in the first place?.lol, that happened to me once too, i just brought proof of insurance to the court and everything was fine. weird thing is, the cop stopped me for no reason. I was just driving (not speeding) home and got pulled over. he just asked me for the documents and didn't even tell me why he pulled me over in the first place.

Carriers
    Cingular
    100% GSM, 100% of the time
    Feedback Score
    Sometimes, at least in California, they have check points checking for drivers licenses, registration and insurance. Just random, as long as you have everything, you are fine.
    Follow me on twitter

I don't fear god. If it existed, it would fear me.

eimajuno's HoFo Feedback 100%+

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by rip
    whatelse did he charge you with?
    nothing, just the fail to have insurance card
    Quote Originally Posted by phil17
    yeah like what did he pull u over for in the first place?.lol, that happened to me once too, i just brought proof of insurance to the court and everything was fine. weird thing is, the cop stopped me for no reason. I was just driving (not speeding) home and got pulled over. he just asked me for the documents and didn't even tell me why he pulled me over in the first place.
    I believe he pulled me over because when I made the turn, the minivan made a slight squealing noise (which is prone to higher vehicles such as vans/suvs/pick ups) because when he walked up to my vehicle, he said "do you think your so cool making squealing noises when turning" Also had to add that I was driving around a pretty ghetto neighbourhood and it really is an abhorrent waste of police resources and our tax dollars. Instead of stopping the gangs/thieves/drug dealers/rapists/other criminals in the area, he pulls me over for such a trivial matter My conjecture to rationalize his behaviour would be that he would most likely rather give a ticket to a geeky asian kid driving his mom's minivan home vs engaging in a confrontation with a gang of thugs. i.e. he is either a p*ssy or likes to go on power trips as he began to harass a truck driver after I left because he honked his horn as we were blocking the lane after he pulled me over

edit: oh yeah I don't think it could be because of quotas because this happened at the beginning of the month
    Last edited by Agent_J; 04-06-2006 at 06:30 PM.

Phone
    ▫» Apple iPhone 4 «▫
    Carrier
    °º○ AT&T ○º°
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by eimajuno
    Sometimes, at least in California, they have check points checking for drivers licenses, registration and insurance. Just random, as long as you have everything, you are fine.
    ^ Probably an immigration thing... I've heard of that in Texas too

Phones
    Nokia N95 - Dark Plum
    Nokia 5800 NAM
    Bold 9700
    Carrier
    AT&T Wireless
    Feedback Score
    have you seen the state farm comercials? some lady gets pulled over, doesnt have a valid insurance card, she calls her agent and the agent comes down to the scene and shows the cop the card and she gets off free. maybe you should switch?