Thread: MPX220 can't use 2GB miniSD cards

Phones
    Cingular Blackjack
    Moto HS850 Headset
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score

Angry MPX220 can't use 2GB miniSD cards

I posted http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php?t=886063 regarding a problem sync'ing WMP to a 2GB miniSD card.

As it turns out, it appears the problem is worse. The MPX220 seems to have a 1 GB miniSD cards limit. The OS sees the 2GB card and reports the memory correctly, but I can only fill the card to 1/2 full or 1GB.

I tried doing simple file copies and even that does not work, so I think unless someone has a great work-around, I would suggest you NOT invest in a 2GB miniSD card for the MPX220.

Of course that being said - I would like to challenge this great community of hackers to come up with a work-around.

-mj

Phones
    MPX 220
    Sharp gx 30 best photo quality till the sharp 902
    Qtek 8310
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Feedback Score
    apparently the work around is to partition the card into two 1gb section but i don't know how you do it. niether does anyone i have asked.
    use Autoflight from http://inputshow.googlepages.com/autoflight.htmand set it to do a restart at a set time every day mine does it at 3 am when i is took-ed up in bed nice and warm.

it also changes profiles at set times silent at night loud during the day works with calendar too

All advertisements contained in this post other than that specifically placed in my signature by me, are in no way associated to myself

Phones
    At&T Tilt (fully modified-too long to list)
    HP 9745,Blackberry 8700g,Mpx220,MOTOROLA V600
    MOTOROLA V400,MOTOROLA V60i, NOKIA 3200, NOKIA 6560
    Carrier
    At&T
    Feedback Score
    I have been using a 2 gig card with no problems,Maybe i got lucky. the mistake that a lot of people are doing is formatting the card.

Phones
    MPX 220
    Qtek 8310
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Feedback Score
    yes your quite right i have psoted this advice several times the mpx 220 works with a 2gb card straight out of the box how ever once it is formatted the mpx can no longer detec the second half of the card therefore stick to 1 gb or NEVER EVER FORMAT THE CARD.

Phones
    G1
    iPhone (retired), Dash (retired)
    SDA (retired), MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    I can confirm mine worked too.........but now I have the SDA. I thought I needed flip style but it was well worth the upgrade!

Phones
    G1
    Shadow (lost)
    MPx220 (retired)
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Just to rule out the obvious... are you putting your files in a folder and not in the root of the card? There is a limit to the number of files you can put in the root for fat-formatted cards.

And if you did format the card, did you format it as fat16 or fat32? It most likely comes with fat32 out of the box so try formatting it back to fat32. You may need a mediacard reader to do this.

Phones
    Mpx220
    Eten M600
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    You have two choices AND both choices will answer the two questions brought up by you:

Quote Originally Posted by conan_troutman
    yes your quite right i have psoted this advice several times the mpx 220 works with a 2gb card straight out of the box how ever once it is formatted the mpx can no longer detec the second half of the card therefore stick to 1 gb or NEVER EVER FORMAT THE CARD.
    1. Using the full 2GB cards by going to the Official SD Card Organization to download the SD card formatter and reformat your SD card to the original specs and you are done. (hint: Google for Panasonic SD card formatter )

Quote Originally Posted by conan_troutman
    apparently the work around is to partition the card into two 1gb section but i don't know how you do it. niether does anyone i have asked.
    2. Google for the Win98 ISO boot CD or Super Fdisk. If you have a bootable disk handy, you can also use that. You can use any of those programs to boot up your system to a DOS/Command Prompt. You can use FDisk to create two 1GB partitions.

Phones
    MPX 220
    Qtek 8310
    Carrier
    O2-UK
    Feedback Score
    ok I have not added files to the root all are sperated in some way so it is not overlaoded what i get is all root folders show on mpx220 but half of them appear empty when you open hem to view but when placed back in card reader al files are again visible(no they are not hidden),

the card is formatted correctly I am not new to the this game, other problem is if you delete the so called empty folder via the file manager on the phone the card gets corrupted as it doesn't delete the contents properly ,it show the card as still being full in memory manager. delete the so called empty files via PC and the memory manager on the phone tells me it 51% full. i f i take a folder with say 10 mp3s and load it onto the card the % goes up the folder is visible but the contents(the mp3s) are not and this goes for every thing I add over51% wheter i add it via A/S or via PC.

trust me if your card is reading all folders and subfiles on a 2gb card don not format it via your phone, or do so if you feel brave enough to se if my problem is recreated on your phone......pleAse note i am onl referring to an mpx 220 and no other phone

Phones
    Cingular Blackjack
    Moto HS850 Headset
    Carrier
    Cingular
    Feedback Score
    Thanks everyone for all your help.

I purchased a SD card reader, reformatted the card with the Panasonic SD Formatter, then transfered/sync'ed all my WMP music and all is now good.

So the official statement from me is...2 GB miniSD is supported on the MPX220.

-mj

Phones
    iMate K-Jam, HTC s620
    Motorola MPx220
    Nokia 6820
    Carriers
    Cingular
    Nextel
    Feedback Score
    did you format it Fat16 or Fat32?

Feedback Score
    just format it in FAT (FAT16) filesystem and it'll work, MPX's reader for sure reads FAT formatted 2GB cards.

Quote Originally Posted by hardcorp
    I have been using a 2 gig card with no problems,Maybe i got lucky. the mistake that a lot of people are doing is formatting the card.
    What formatting the card may have to do with phone's hardware limitations or luck? :O
    Reader in a phone either supports largeer cards or it doesn't, either supports FAT and FAT32 or it doesn't. What "luck" might have to do with it at all?! Geez, that was one of silliest replies I ever read here!
    I've formatted tons of SD/MMC cards and never had a problem.
    Just gotta use brain when doing something (anything actually)...
    Last edited by DereX888; 10-08-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Phones
    HTC Legend
    i-mate SP3i
    Cingular 3125
    Carrier
    Fido
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by badbob001
    Just to rule out the obvious... are you putting your files in a folder and not in the root of the card? There is a limit to the number of files you can put in the root for fat-formatted cards.

And if you did format the card, did you format it as fat16 or fat32? It most likely comes with fat32 out of the box so try formatting it back to fat32. You may need a mediacard reader to do this.
    This is incorrect, format it as FAT16!
    Also, where did you get your card? You could have gotten a fake if bought on ebay, some of the so called "4GB" cards could be just a 512MB in disguise, shows up as 4 but only a quarter can be used

Phones
    HTC Touch Pro 2 T-Mobile
    Cingular 3125
    Carrier
    T-Mobile
    Feedback Score
    Not all mpx220s work with 2gb minisds, no matter what you do or don't do. Mine didn't work with a 2gb right out of the box. It still didn't after I formatted fat or fat 32. And it continued to not work after I partitioned it. In fact most people can never get the 2gb to work correctly.