Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Can't find PST? use this instead!

Device(s)
    Personal - Too Many.. see link in my signature
    Carrier(s)
    Personal - Verizon Wireless (CDMA) |
    Feedback Score

Can't find PST? use this instead!

As we all know, PST is copyright and warez links are against the rules...

BUT to do seem edits, PST is needed to put the phone into suspend mode, right??

NOT ANYMORE!!!

Since Motorola released their "Motorola's Software Update" program available for download at -> http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/support/update/
    or direct link -> https://rsd.motorola.com/download/Mo...are_Update.exe

It puts the phone in Suspend/diag mode and switches the phone into the "Moto USB Composite" Device, which installs Data Logging MCU Interface, Test Command Interface, Accessories Interface and Motorola Flash Interface needed for P2KSeem to connect!!

It also includes the latest P2K.inf and P2k.SYS so no extra drivers are needed either...
    Verizon Wireless Customer Council Member
    Verizon PHONE Hacking Info & How To's click -> HERE, <-- If you have suggestions PM me
    Need Help? PLEASE POST IN THE FORUMS instead of PM'ing me!!
    Read -> An Open Letter to those who PM me for help!

New to forums? -> Posting and you! <-a MUST Watch for all!!

Equipment I Have/USE click here, Phone Labs Dock-N-Talk...

Device(s)
    Moto Droid
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Thanks, Mark.

Using up one of my dumb question chits...what is the software "really" designed to do?

It almost sounds like a phone firmware updater, but I understand that Verizon, T-Mobile, etc., have their own flavors that they control and provide to customers. MPT already has its own updater...so what is this updater going to be updating? I don't have any other SW for my e815 than MPT...

Thanks for your help.

Device(s)
    BB Storm 9530
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Mark, I was afraid to try it. I thought it was another "GSM" only program. How well does it work? Does it work with any other software? Can it be used for flashing a phone? Maybe it could help with getting the Bell flash to work.

Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    My guess is that Motorola will have arrangements with the carriers to allow only sanctioned firmware updates. You have to hook up your phone to run this software, which then looks up the latest VZW-approved updates and applies them.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea
    Using up one of my dumb question chits...what is the software "really" designed to do?
    Good one

Its designed to "flash your phone at home" with updated firmware when its available so you don't have to drive into a "store"...

But to get the phone into suspend mode, the drivers to install, etc to the point at which P2KSeem will connect to the phone, you don't have to actually go thru the flash process.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redflea
    It almost sounds like a phone firmware updater, but I understand that Verizon, T-Mobile, etc., have their own flavors that they control and provide to customers. MPT already has its own updater...so what is this updater going to be updating? I don't have any other SW for my e815 than MPT...
    MPT has nothing to do with the firmware. Its "updater" is to update the MPT software running under Windows, and not anything on the phone.

This Moto Software updater is going to be used for when the Wireless carrier has an updated flash/firmware available, you can get it from Moto and update your phone yourself.

Now, it remains to be seen if Verizon, T-Mobile, Cingular, etc.. make their firmwares available this way...

And I'm not saying to use this to update the firmware of your phone... Just use it to the point to get the phone into suspend mode, and have the P2K drivers get installed so you can use P2KSeem... This way... there is no need to look for and find a PIRATE copy of PST software.

Lets face it, a good copy of PST is hard to find... so, why pirate it, when you no longer need to??

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by loooney2ns
    Mark, I was afraid to try it. I thought it was another "GSM" only program. How well does it work? Does it work with any other software? Can it be used for flashing a phone? Maybe it could help with getting the Bell flash to work.
    I'm also thinking along with what tbb1226 says... only after the wireless carrier has approved it, will the firmware get added and be available.

Right now, when I hook up both my V710 and E815.. it checks and says NO Updates are available... Well, that is true for my E815, but my V710 is still 1 level down (I got 1.40.0R but 02.03.00R is current). So Verizon's firmware is not there yet...

but the important part here, even if Verizon doesn't have there firmware there, is that it suspends the phone properly...

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Possibility of perhaps tricking the program into thinking you have a Bell Mobility E815 and picking up a flash that way?

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by jlbrightbill
    Possibility of perhaps tricking the program into thinking you have a Bell Mobility E815 and picking up a flash that way?
    Not sure how... or even if its possible... There are NVM strings that can't be changed... it might be reading those... along with the current firmware string...

But its i nice thought...

Device(s)
    Bionic, Thunderbolt, iPhone4, Droid X, Incredible, Droid, Devour, Omnia II, Tour, Storm, Curve,
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    but the important part here, even if Verizon doesn't have there firmware there, is that it suspends the phone properly...
    Another good point of using this vs. PST is that once you connect your phone as directed by this software, the Motorola USB Device drivers remain there even if you close the updater software. You can then run P2KSeem and it connects fine.
    Member, Verizon Wireless Customer Council

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    Well, without any reverse engineering even, this could prove a very valuable tool for us here on HoFo and elsewhere. If it provides a stable installation of the latest drivers that can be made to work with all the other apps in our typical suite of hacking/modding software, that alone is uniquely valuable. It certainly stirs the imagination as to what could be done with it. I can't imagine them releasing it without the strictest possible security controls, I certainly don't know. But the fact that it is legal for public use and has this heretofore unique capability to load the USB Composite device drivers makes it a wonderful developement.

Exciting times on HoFo these days!
    kbman

Droid RAZR M/HD MSM8960 does HSPA+ on US GSM carriers!

If we knew what we were doing, they wouldn't call it research. - Albert Einstein

Read more, post less.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Smuuth
    Another good point of using this vs. PST is that once you connect your phone as directed by this software, the Motorola USB Device drivers remain there even if you close the updater software. You can then run P2KSeem and it connects fine.
    When using PST on my E815, the Moto USB Device group remains after exiting PST... if I don't restart my phone via the software...

I.e. start PST, let the drivers load... exit PST... stays as Moto USB Device group, and does not flip back to Moto USB Modem until I unplug the phone, turn it off, and turn it back on, connect it back to the PC...

I don't remember my V710 doing this...

Device(s)
    DROID by Motorola
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon Wireless
    Feedback Score
    Nice find!
    >>Recent Cellular Phone History: ...Motorola RIZR Z6tv, LG VX9100 enV2, Apple iPhone 3G, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Apple iPhone 3GS, Motorola DROID, Google Nexus One, HTC Tattoo, Apple iPhone 4

Motorola Droid [Gingerbread GPA12 with 1.00Ghz_LV_V0.1.zip 450MHz/1GHz Interactive via Peter Alfonso]

Device(s)
    Palm Pre
    Carrier(s)
    Sprint
    Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Venture
    Not sure how... or even if its possible... There are NVM strings that can't be changed... it might be reading those... along with the current firmware string...

But its i nice thought...
    Someone pointed out in the other thread the possibility of flashing with the Bell firmware we have, then running the update program. This isn't an area of expertise for me so I have no idea if it would work.

Device(s)
    Moto X,RAZR M,D4,Bionic, D3, DX,D2G, Pro, Xoom
    Carrier(s)
    Verizon
    Feedback Score
    All these ideas seem plausible but it still requires the cooperation of Bell Mobility to release an update. We have to see how quickly the carriers jump on this.

Device(s)
    Carrier(s)
    Feedback Score
    One Side Note.... this apparently has 1 negitive side effect...

It includes a USBMOT2000.INF that re-introduces the USBSER.SYS problem

Not sure what I mean? re-read the background info section on my USBSER.SYS page...

Short version.... This is the driver that identifies the phone as "moto usb modem" to windows. Installing Moto's Software Update program forces Windows to re-install the driver for Moto USB Modem, and Windows Picks this one included by Moto that uses the USBSER.SYS that is a core component of windows, which can cause data transfer/communication problems when using USB cable with ANY Pogram that utilizes the Moto USB Modem driver (i.e. BitPim, MPT, DUN, FAX, etc...)... NOTE P2K type programs (P2KCommander, P2KSeem, etc) are NOT impacted as they use the P2K.INF/P2K.SYS drivers...

Work around process...

1. Disconnect your phone from the computer.
    2. Install Moto Software Update.
    3. Connect your phone and let the Windows Add New Hardware wizard run and detect/install what ever driver it wants to for your phone.
    4. Disconnect your phone from the computer.
    5. Run BVRP's Driver Tool...

As long as you don't re-install the Moto Software Update program, the BVRP version of the USBMOT2000 driver will be in use.

For info on how the USBMOT2000 from BVRP differs, again, see the background section of my USBSER.SYS page.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast